The Android thread

Yeah, PdaNet requires an app on the PC as well and good thing is they have an app for OS X as well. But fiddling with the cable every minute makes it totally useless... though, that probaby has everything to do with my data speeds.

I'm doing some research and it seems like the Epic is known to have poor 3G speeds, even when compared to the HTC Evo which runs on the same network and technology.

Yeah, PdaNet requires an app on the PC as well and good thing is they have an app for OS X as well. But fiddling with the cable every minute makes it totally useless... though, that probaby has everything to do with my data speeds.

I'm doing some research and it seems like the Epic is known to have poor 3G speeds, even when compared to the HTC Evo which runs on the same network and technology.

EasyTether just added OS X support as well but I can't comment as to its quality.

He said he got an 8Mbps on 4G somewhere around here yesterday, confirmed by the Speedtest results on his Evo. While that was probably on full signal, it's still really something. I'll honestly be happy if I can get a consistent 1Mbps at my place with the low amount of bars.

I don't know about in LA, but in Dallas, WiMax is kind of hit or miss at times. When I am outdoor, the signal is great and I can get the full speed (10 down/1 up) like they advertise when I am tethering with my laptop. But it seems to have a hard time penetrating walls, cause most of the time I only get like 1 or 2 bars indoor (while EVDO has no problem) and resulting about 3-4 down the most. The strange thing is that WiMax USB data cards seem to work better, so I guess it's just the antenna in the Evo is not as sensitive?

I don't think it's the Evo... I've heard that WiMAX operates at a frequency or something which gives it a tougher time penetrating buildings and walls compared to previous 3G technologies.

But like I said I'd honestly be happy with a consistent 1-2Mbits down at home, though at this point I'm confused as all hell... and I don't even know if I like the Epic that much.

I don't think it's the Evo... I've heard that WiMAX operates at a frequency or something which gives it a tougher time penetrating buildings and walls compared to previous 3G technologies.

But like I said I'd honestly be happy with a consistent 1-2Mbits down at home, though at this point I'm confused as all hell... and I don't even know if I like the Epic that much.
Install LauncherPro and see what that does. On my mom's Galaxy-S that sped the phone up a crapton.

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyrussian540/2010/11/16/10x1116exclusivelgandroid.jpg

Wow. LG did say it'd bring some heat to its Android Optimus line and here's our first look at it, folks! An 8 megapixel camera-wearing, 1080p video-recording, dual-core superphone to appease all the spec fanatics out there. Aimed for release early next year, as the very first dual-core Android handset, this device will finally bring NVIDIA's Tegra 2 into the smartphone realm. Our tipster tells us it's codenamed Star internally, though that's certain to change in the final product nomenclature. You might think that massive Google logo on the back would imply stock Android and you'd be right -- we're told it'll be a nearly untouched representation of the Google OS, though it's still not clear which version it'll be. We've also spotted a front-facing camera on the front, while the innards include microSD memory expandability, microUSB connectivity, and a 1500mAh battery. Nexus who?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/16/exclusive-lgs-4-inch-android-phone-with-dual-core-tegra-2-and/

Wow. I really want that. I never thought I'd say that about an Android Phone. I wonder how much it will cost. My contract ended a while ago, and I was planning on freelancing on my iPhone 3G until the next iPhone in June, but if this is competitively priced (and on AT&T), it might just win me over.

Edit: I actually know nothing about Android phones (other than the fact that HTC makes a whole boatload of them). People are saying that LG isn't the best. Would it be better to wait for HTC's dual-core competitor?

Last edited:
^One of the things that I don't understand is why all the android phones have their camera lenses stick out like that?
The specs look amazing, but I am kind of worry about the battery, 1500mAh isn't much...especially with all that dual core cpu and tegra 2....

Last edited:
Last edited:
Probably cause they can't make the hardware smaller for the bigger cams. The original Droid has it flush too.

To be fair, Google claimed they wouldn't make a "Nexus 2", they never said anything about a "Nexus S". :mrgreen:

Why couldn't the i9100 be the Nexus S?

Update on my battery life attempt:

Current uptime: 13h25m12s

Display 80% (1h10m)
Cell Standby 13%
Phone Idle 6%

Battery is sitting at 71%.

I think I might just fuckin make it a full day.

And how much have you actually used the thing? :p

I was going to post my uptime but my phone says it was unplugged 2 hours and 18 minutes ago.... which is impossible because I was here at work <_<

About the performance issues I was experiencing yesterday, I never figured it out. Task manager was showing constant 30-70% CPU usage but no apps were consuming it. I even removed all user apps with titanium backup to no avail. Eventually I just did a factory restore and holy fuck is this thing fast. I can only hope it stays that way but I am keeping apps to a bare minimum......

On a side note, 8pen is waaaaaaaaaaaaay better now that my phone isn't lag-tastic. I hadn't fully realized how bad it got.