The Android thread

I want that Honeycomb tablet.

I wonder if the bees will like it? It is honeycomb after all.

Reactions: AiR
Just tried a very early Gingerbread mod for my phone. Very very sluggish. :( Will try more as it progresses, but currently far too many things aren't working (wifi, sound, camera), and the speed is just appauling. :(

Last edited:
Damn, very cool. Too bad if I got those and baked some cookies I'd be the only one around here who'd get it.

which means only you get to eat the cookies.

I am still waiting for Honeycomb.

I thought you'd have plenty of it at home already.

I made candles out of it.

Updated my SGS to Froyo and I am liking it so far.
The new icons are so nice. :wub:

The leaked one or has the official started getting pushed out?

FWIW I know the fantabulous Epic 4G started to receive Froyo a few days ago. Such a shame I returned mine. :rolleyes:

On a different note, is anyone else underwhelmed by the Nexus S as I? Gingerbread aside it doesn't seem to bring much to the table; who cares about NFC capabilities or the curved glass which is possibly a mere gimmick?

I don't understand Engadget sometimes, their review of it lists a bunch of shortcomings and issues and then they conclude that the Nexus S is the greatest Android phone money can buy for the time being.

The appeal for me is that, like the Nexus One, it's Android in its purest form, not something that the manufacturer or the carrier messed around with.

Supposedly it?s official. That one I got is for the i9000B, so I am not sure.

Web surfing seems faster and the GPS stopped acting up. Hooray!

FWIW I know the fantabulous Epic 4G started to receive Froyo a few days ago. Such a shame I returned mine. :rolleyes:

On a different note, is anyone else underwhelmed by the Nexus S as I? Gingerbread aside it doesn't seem to bring much to the table; who cares about NFC capabilities or the curved glass which is possibly a mere gimmick?

I don't understand Engadget sometimes, their review of it lists a bunch of shortcomings and issues and then they conclude that the Nexus S is the greatest Android phone money can buy for the time being.

I can see what you mean.
I expected it to be a lot better than my Galaxy S, for instance, but it looks like a rehashed version of it.
On the other hand, I really want one. I like my SGS and I would love to have the vanilla version without depending on Samsung or other people.

Last edited:
The appeal for me is that, like the Nexus One, it's Android in its purest form, not something that the manufacturer or the carrier messed around with.

True, and I love vanilla Android, but the hardware is still meh. I'd rather buy better hardware and put vanilla Android onto it... the Nexus One is already getting Gingerbread and that too is a pure and stock Android experience. How is the NS an upgrade from the N1?

I mean... the usual poor build quality we're used to from Samsung, possible issues with the screen, lack of HD video capture and a microSD slot don't exactly scream best Android phone on the market to me. I sure wouldn't turn down a Nexus S for free, but I guess I just expected more from Google's next offering.

Lack of microSD was a big surprise for me, and as Engadget mentioned, the Captivate actually feels pretty solid. I keep finding myself considering picking up a Nexus S sometime next year because of the advantages of having the 'Google phone', but it's essentially the same, minus expansion, plus NFC(meh) and flash(I hate not having one), and I trust that I'll get CyanogenMod within the next few months. God I hope I do.

I have to concur, gathering from the Original Droid (which Google worked hand in hand with Motorola and VZW to build) and the Nexus One, you'd expect the S to be a giant leap forward...but its more of a baby step than anything else. NFC sounds interesting though, and another stock Android phone is always a good thing.

I'm personally stuck in a holding pattern..I'm essentially stuck with Verizon yet there's nothing on it that interests me. Motorola dug a hole for themselves with me due to making the Droid 2 and X non hacker friendly, and shoving mandatory Blur onto both of them. Samsung Captivate is nice, but no physical keyboard. HTC Droid Incredible is meh, a Nexus One with sense in Verizon drag just isn't appealing....dunno why.

I'm waiting for the HTC Merge...but its in the same sort of "is it coming or was it killed" spiral that the LG enV Pro is in...people say it's getting LTE installed...others say it's just delayed....I dunno. I have 3 months before I'm scheduled for an upgrade...make it happen Verizon. :p

It's engadget, their reviews are generally pretty retarded

...as Engadget mentioned, the Captivate actually feels pretty solid...

I read that, and I can't disagree because the only Galaxy phone I've tried is the Epic 4G which due to the slider mechanism is not that solid by default. But I was thinking more in comparison to HTC phones like the Nexus One; HTC seem to use a nice blend of metal and rubber materials whereas Samsung just seem to use that fingerprint-magnet shiny plastic.

I think I know the main reason behind the Nexus S' existence... Google sorta failed with their sales model on the Nexus One and they wanted a fresh go at things. It just doesn't offer enough hardware upgrades and Gingerbread isn't a huge software upgrade so I can't imagine why Google chose to redress a Galaxy S other than trying out a different sales model.

It's engadget, their reviews are generally pretty retarded

Sure, but this one is especially so because it's completely disjointed when you compare the bulk of the review to the conclusion they draw.

If they're writing the review for and recommending the Nexus S to geeks like us, then they should know we can easily get vanilla Android and/or Gingerbread on a phone that doesn't ship with them. If they are writing the review for and recommending the Nexus S to the masses then they are misleading their audience because I'm guessing the average consumer cares more about HD video capture or a microSD slot that an incremental upgrade to the OS. So I'm left wondering how they figure it's the best Android device on sale right now.

Seriously, either these asshats are easily swayed by the companies that send them review units or they are just idiots. I hit up Engadget for tech news sometimes, but their reviews I now know aren't worth a damn.