The Android thread

I installed root explorer and found out that I have LOTS of leftover folders from apps I uninstalled and the internal SD card is running a little low on space.
Any tips?
Any apps for that?
Just delete them... that's what i've done.

Hmm, I thought about doing that but was unsure if that could cause any trouble afterwards.
Thanks for the tip. :)

Not sure when or how this happened, but I suddenly have the 2.2 market features (update all apps and auto-updating) on my 2.1 ROM...

The Market auto updates haha.

But yeah, and to think of it, it'll receive the facelifted market within the next 2 weeks [2.3 market] as its confirmed to make its way to devices running 1.6 and newer.

Not sure when or how this happened, but I suddenly have the 2.2 market features (update all apps and auto-updating) on my 2.1 ROM...

I also had this on my 2.1 before the official upgrade for my carrier a couple of weeks ago.

What apps does it use, then?

It uses its own Facebook and twitter apps, BUT the widget can be configured to use the UI default apps for both or aftermarket ones, like tweetdeck.

There are also the "feeds and updates" widged from Samsung:
https://pic.armedcats.net/s/sa/savamane/2010/12/13/Samsung_Galaxy_S_07.jpg

Ugly as hell, but does just that. The apk from 2.2 is available in the galaxy s section at XDA and via PM here :D

Well came back from Futureshop and upgraded 2 phones.

Got the HTC Hero for my sis for $0 and $50 gift card and the Samsung Galaxy Apollo for my mum for $0 and $50 gift card.

No data plan for both so it was a pretty good deal considering monthly plan is only $20 each with caller id, voicemail and text.

Just bought Tasker, initially to control my WiFi and stop it wasting power when I'm not at home. I'll get on to more complicated things later, but Android seems to take care of most of them for me.

Well came back from Futureshop and upgraded 2 phones.

Got the HTC Hero for my sis for $0 and $50 gift card and the Samsung Galaxy Apollo for my mum for $0 and $50 gift card.

No data plan for both so it was a pretty good deal considering monthly plan is only $20 each with caller id, voicemail and text.

Thank you for reminding me how much we got screwed here for a monthly plan. We don't even get discount on a new phone, and if we do it's for a rubbish and too expensive plan without data and texts and only a couple of hours for phonecalls that still costs ?45/month. :(

Also, as a Hero owner :wave: I like mine a lot.

Thank you for reminding me how much we got screwed here for a monthly plan. We don't even get discount on a new phone, and if we do it's for a rubbish and too expensive plan without data and texts and only a couple of hours for phonecalls that still costs ?45/month. :(

Also, as a Hero owner :wave: I like mine a lot.

Don't worry, the plans that they have only have 200 min and 250 sms haha.

Though the one thing i should of researched about the Hero is that its slightly slow in terms of the performence part, she might exchange the Hero with something else [14-day exchange policy], i'd probably be able to convince her to get the Desire and they'll probably work something out with no data [price would normally be $199.99 with 3-yr w/o data] keep the $50 gift card or maybe half price it at the same time.

For example, Angry Birds runs surprisingly smooth on the Samsung but choppy on the Hero.

But the one thing about the Hero thats a plus, HTC Sense UI haha.

Hero only has a slower cpu, higher resolution screen and probably a much older gpu than the Samsung.

Yeah i realize that haha.

Hero has the 528Mhz Qualcomm while the Samsung has the 600Mhz Qualcomm.

I'm trying to see if she'll get the Desire instead, she likes how it looks but doesn't want to pay extra for a data plan or much more for the phone. Guess the person at the store could work something out since they reduced the price of the Hero through refund and on top of that give a gift card of $50.

I overclocked my Hero to 678 Mhz a year ago, really improves performance. But you'd have to root it and all so that's kind of a hassle.
If she can get the Desire, that's just a better phone overall.

It uses its own Facebook and twitter apps, BUT the widget can be configured to use the UI default apps for both or aftermarket ones, like tweetdeck.

Yep, just confirmed that the LauncherPro widget as full facebook functionnality without using the official app.

Don't worry, the plans that they have only have 200 min and 250 sms haha.

Though the one thing i should of researched about the Hero is that its slightly slow in terms of the performence part, she might exchange the Hero with something else [14-day exchange policy], i'd probably be able to convince her to get the Desire and they'll probably work something out with no data [price would normally be $199.99 with 3-yr w/o data] keep the $50 gift card or maybe half price it at the same time.

For example, Angry Birds runs surprisingly smooth on the Samsung but choppy on the Hero.

But the one thing about the Hero thats a plus, HTC Sense UI haha.

Performance is my biggest complaint about this phone, it's really frustrating sometimes. Web browsing is the worst detriment.

I installed root explorer and found out that I have LOTS of leftover folders from apps I uninstalled and the internal SD card is running a little low on space.
Any tips?
Any apps for that?

I have also been looking for something like this for awhile too. Because I'm always constantly trying out apps and installing/uninstalling them, some apps always seem to leave "a little" behind. I wish all apps backups on the SD were installed into something like a "Program Files" folder, or there was a Revo Uninstaller app for Android.

I have also been looking for something like this for awhile too. Because I'm always constantly trying out apps and installing/uninstalling them, some apps always seem to leave "a little" behind. I wish all apps backups on the SD were installed into something like a "Program Files" folder, or there was a Revo Uninstaller app for Android.
Titanium backup will do uninstallation, don't know the details of how it works though. I do know that with root, it can uninstall system apps.

I overclocked my Hero to 678 Mhz a year ago, really improves performance. But you'd have to root it and all so that's kind of a hassle.
If she can get the Desire, that's just a better phone overall.

Yeah, its a bit of a hassle and i think i've found the solution to just pay $100 for the Desire. [no data]
We got a rebate letter from their Home Phone service [which we have] that says we can get a rebate of $100 if we renew or activate on their mobile service [which is what we're using for those 2 phones].

So even though we activated yesterday, got the letter today and was dated the 9th, so the rebate should still apply if we exchange phones. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
I swear, I can't hold onto a phone for more than a year. The HD2 has a new lease on life running Android, but it's been a while than I'm yearning for a new phone and only now realized it's been exactly a year since I bought my first one (broke it, bought a second one used after a month of iPhone hell).

So... when are we going to see a new generation of Android phones? It doesn't seem like anything major's happened for a year or more now, since we started seeing Androids with 1GHz CPUs and WVGA screens.

Tegra 2 launching Q1-Q2 2011.

Tegra 2 brings 1080P rendering ability, more GPU power, and dual-core processors.

Tegra 2 launching Q1-Q2 2011.

Tegra 2 brings 1080P rendering ability, more GPU power, and dual-core processors.

Indeed, there's also plenty of stuff that's expected to happen this January at CES

Not new phone relateed: Last Pass for android. Needs a lot of work, it doesn't integrate into the stock android browser. You have to browse in an integrated browser, that doesn't offer tabs/windowing, and renders somewhat poorly. Oh and text input is horribly slow, making it pointless for foruming. There's no way I'm paying 12 bucks a year to be totured on the go.

Well, right now we've got 2nd gen Snapdragon cpus, which are as fast as Samsung's chips. Don't think anything much else will happen apart from Tegra and its benefits. The biggest step now will be Honeycomb and tablets.