The Android thread

I assumed that that was just android on my HD2 that ran like shit when stuff was installing, or do real android devices do the same thign

Nah, shouldn't be the HD2... depending on which build you're running the HD2 runs Android smooth as can be, I've even read that running it off SD provides a tiny bit of speed advantage in write speeds (and many disadvantages in other areas... still dreaming of a NAND solution for Android on HD2).

Nah, shouldn't be the HD2... depending on which build you're running the HD2 runs Android smooth as can be, I've even read that running it off SD provides a tiny bit of speed advantage in write speeds (and many disadvantages in other areas... still dreaming of a NAND solution for Android on HD2).

Did you guys try the new RAM based build? It has unbelievable speed. For example,

Boot time (from running HARET to the unlock screen) in less than 20sec!!! The market is FAAASSSTTT (~5MB game installed in 10secs!) and most importantly, speedtest on my Wi-Fi runs around 10Mbit (max speed for my broadband connection)!

You should defenitely check this build out:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=870518

I had no clue such a thing existed, I suppose since I was so focused on when a decent Gingebread would pop up.

Any disadvantages or why you wouldn't want to use this as a daily driver? What with all the retards and non-English speakers XDA is notoriously hard to make sense of these days...

I had no clue such a thing existed, I suppose since I was so focused on when a decent Gingebread would pop up.

Any disadvantages or why you wouldn't want to use this as a daily driver? What with all the retards and non-English speakers XDA is notoriously hard to make sense of these days...

Everything is fine for me but, some folks over there have the dreaded robo voice with this build. I am using the stock latest radio and no robo voice for me. I don't have any other show stopping problems. YMMV though.

Just picked up a Nook Color last night, and promptly rooted it. Its nice having a little Android powered tablet that I can tie to my BN.com acc't and read on. :D

supercurio is working on a Gingerbread ROM for SGS users.
High hopes for that!

Last edited:
Damn kids and their useful toys!

That is awesome.

Now you just need a right-angle micro usb connector secured in the right place.

Downloaded the APK for Market 2.2.6, but still no automatic update to 2.2.7.

Anyway, it looks nicer than the old market, but nothing radical IMO in terms of overall UI.

I wish they kept separate tabs for info/reviews/related. Having it all vertically on one page seems silly to me.

I wish they kept separate tabs for info/reviews/related. Having it all vertically on one page seems silly to me.

Isn't it the other way around? The old version for me had it all on one page, where the new version uses tabs. I agree that it works much better.

Just saw this for sale at a local PC shop,
VIEWSONIC ViewPad 10
It dual boots Android with Windows 7 out of the box and packs 1gb RAM and a 1.66Ghz CPU with integrated Intel GPU. It also futures 2 USB ports, webcam and 16GB of memory.
Combined with a 10" screens I think this should trump the iPad any day.

viewsonic_viewpad_10_0-580x393-540x365.jpg

viewsonic-viewpad-10.jpg

Just saw this for sale at a local PC shop,
VIEWSONIC ViewPad 10
It dual boots Android with Windows 7 out of the box and packs 1gb RAM and a 1.66Ghz CPU with integrated Intel GPU. It also futures 2 USB ports, webcam and 16GB of memory.
Combined with a 10" screens I think this should trump the iPad any day.

viewsonic_viewpad_10_0-580x393-540x365.jpg

viewsonic-viewpad-10.jpg

That is cool, and currently the best tablet I have seen. Sucks that it only boots Android 1.6 though. They said in a video that this is because the Atom processor doesn't have support in more recent builds of Android yet. Hopefully that will change with Honeycomb. I do really like that it comes with the dual boot feature, and I've been waiting for a good tablet that can use Windows 7. I could really use this at work, but so far they have been so slow and laggy and badly built that it hasn't been worth it. Good times....

Leviathan...that really makes me want to go to CES 2011 now. I need to look at getting work at that show.

@googlenexus : The Gingerbread OTA for Nexus One will happen in the coming weeks. Just hang tight!

That Viewsonic tablet is having all sorts of problems as was removed from a fairly big retailer's shelfs.