The Android thread

Ugh, CES today is looking good, so much choice in new Android Devices! haha.

I'm noticing a lack of consistent 'back', 'options/menu', 'home', and 'search' button placement along the bottom of the screen on all these newer Android phones. That's going to be annoying.

[video=youtube;M-80QD5Zjyc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-80QD5Zjyc[/video]

Looking good, real good.

But I kind of get a bad taste in my mouth from the umpteen number of hardware being shown off. I mean, even before a proper Android version for tablets we had a dozen random tablets, and now everyone and their mother is showing off an Android tablet at CES supposedly shipping with 3.0.

A few are interesting, but most are forgettable. Why the heck is Toshiba or Vizio making an Android tablet?

I'm noticing a lack of consistent 'back', 'options/menu', 'home', and 'search' button placement along the bottom of the screen on all these newer Android phones. That's going to be annoying.

Look at Sony Ericsson, they still have the Menu, Home and Back buttons however for some stupid reason, they switched the menu and back buttons on the new devices that are to be annouced, with the Arc being the first one announced in 30 minutes haha.

Though imo, i don't really care for the Search button, but having the Menu, Home and Back buttons in a similar fashion is important to me in which SE don't get it haha.

Though i don't understand Samsungs intentions with the Infuse 4G, they should have made that the Nexus S haha.

Look at Sony Ericsson, they still have the Menu, Home and Back buttons however for some stupid reason, they switched the menu and back buttons on the new devices that are to be annouced, with the Arc being the first one announced in 30 minutes haha.

Though imo, i don't really care for the Search button, but having the Menu, Home and Back buttons in a similar fashion is important to me in which SE don't get it haha.

Though i don't understand Samsungs intentions with the Infuse 4G, they should have made that the Nexus S haha.

I don't use the search button either, but as far as I'm concerned the other three have to be in the same (and correct) positions as my Moto Droid on any new phones I get. :lol:

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/nabster/2011/01/05/droid.jpg

I've never paid close attention to the motorolas haha.

Though of course i'd expect a manufacturer to keep button placements in a similar fashion with their current and future handsets :p

You see any handsets you like that were announced so far? haha.

I've never paid close attention to the motorolas haha.

Though of course i'd expect a manufacturer to keep button placements in a similar fashion with their current and future handsets :p

You see any handsets you like that were announced so far? haha.

Motorola doesn't even keep the damned buttons in the same spots. It's silly.

As far as new phones go, I haven't been looking at them with any detail, just scrolling by them all on the news pages. I'm not due for a phone upgrade for another 6 months or something anyway so there will be another generation of phones out by then.

Timbits, may I ask how old you are? Not trying to pick on you my fellow Vancouverite, but why do most of your sentences have to end in a haha?

Again, not trying to be a prick... it's just puzzling to me.

He's not funny weird, he's just funny haha.

Ok, the nook color has been put on the back burner. I'll wait for a Honeycomb tablet. It looks super sweet!

17. I don't know, too used to IM :S

Huh, the 93 in your username should've given away your age. :p

Ok, the nook color has been put on the back burner. I'll wait for a Honeycomb tablet. It looks super sweet!

Yeah, for me as well. I was gonna go to B&N and look at getting one, but Honeycomb looks like it's a game changer.

Indeed, It's also making me reconsider my thoughts on 10" being too big, especially after reading engadget's hands on with the Adam.

Intentionally dirty.

Here's a quasi hands-on with the Motorola Xoom. I say quasi, cause all they did was run videos, didn't want to show off the actual OS, probably still not as polished as they want us to think:

I have such a boner for the Atrix. I think I'm gonna swap back to the Nexus, then call AT&T and tell them some jerk pooped on my Captivate and beg them to give me another upgrade. Problem is, as of the 15th I'll already be two months in and the Atrix isn't even available yet.

Re: complaints about button placement, I think my phone is a bit unusual in that the buttons are in a 2x2 grid layout:

Menu - Search
Home - back

With the trackball in the center. But since it's my first Android phone it never really mattered to me. I also use the search button somewhat frequently, some apps don't seem to have any other way to search.