The Android thread

I'm afraid I'm going to buy the Samsung Galaxy S2
Dual Core
4,3'' Amoled screen.
Android 2.3
Ultra thin design

Uhhh yeah! :D

I'm thinking of getting this phone as well. I get my upgrade starting in May so I'm hoping it's available by then. Though I am kind of weary of Samsung and how slow the updates come to it (though I know a lot of that is caused by the carriers).

Yeah, Samsung's build quality and slow OS updates would make me think twice about picking up a Galaxy S II even though I generally like it.

Why didn't HTC announce any dual-core phones at MWC or CES? Their phones are tanks whereas Samsung's are plastic toys, and both HTC themselves and XDA seem quicker on software stuff on HTC devices compared to Samsung.

Last edited:
I wonder that as well. Does anyone know anything about the current Dell phones? The Hancock on that roadmap pic is exactly the phone I want next, but I have no idea what the build quality, update speed, or locked-down-ness is like on Dells. They certainly look good.

Last edited:
Destroyed my iphone while attempting to fix it, plan to join the android community tomorrow with the HTC inspire unless someone wants to talk me out of it.

Destroyed my iphone while attempting to fix it, plan to join the android community tomorrow with the HTC inspire unless someone wants to talk me out of it.

Wrong thread for that! :lol:

Wrong thread for that! :lol:

Welcome to the club! :D

On another note, still not satisfied with my X10 w/ JIT and signal issues :(

It's a fine phone, but since you asked: It's lacking a dual-core processor and the display is just a traditional LCD. AT&T does give a discount over their usual $200 contract price for a top of the line smartphone though since they know the specs aren't amazing at this point anymore.

Personally I'd wait for a dual-core phone with a better screen and then pay $100 more to get that, but since you broke your iPhone and need a replacement right away I don't think the Inspire is a bad choice.

The Inspire is nice, and probably the best overall Android phone for AT&T at this point, but the Atrix is going on sale today, and that has dual core and fancy display. If you're not interested in messing about with all different ROMs and such, the Atrix will do nicely, though it'll cost an extra $100 over the Inspire.

I would maybe hold on until HTC announces their line of dual core phones. I do like the Inspire, but I think the battery life leaves a lot to be desired. I would avoid the Motorola because of the locked bootloader (though if you do not plan on hacking your phone, it will be fine).

I would maybe hold on until HTC announces their line of dual core phones.

But the issue is, this might be a long wait.

It's not like HTC were absent at CES and MWC, they just introduced single-core phones. We might see an HTC Android phone with dual-core towards the end of the year if we're lucky.

A post on the official Twitter account of British carrier Three indicates that the original HTC Desire will receive an official update to Gingerbread, confirming rumors from MWC earlier this week. Responding to a tweet asking whether Three would carry Gingerbread for the Desire, the carrier said -
"Yes we will but we don't have timescales yet :)"
Reports appeared on CNET UK's Crave blog earlier this week suggesting a Gingerbread update for the Desire would appear within a month or two of the Desire S's launch, however this is the first semi-official confirmation that an update is indeed in the works.

There will always be a better phone on the horizon and waiting is not an option, my phone is useless except for texting.

Motorola Xoom official pricing announced. $600 with 2 year "customer agreement", whatever that is, or $800 without. No word yet on the Wifi-only model.

There will always be a better phone on the horizon and waiting is not an option, my phone is useless except for texting.

But this isn't a case of something better being on the horizon, next-gen devices have already been announced and are starting to roll into carriers as we speak.

Is there any chance you could borrow a loaner from someone for a few weeks or a month until these next-gen devices start going on sale? Sure, the Inspire is seemingly half-off compared to a current top-end smartphone but the issue is most of the cost of these things is hidden in the contract you sign up for. The Inspire isn't really half-off compared to an iPhone 4 or Atrix, it's only $100 off of something that's going to cost you thousands in the long run (phone plus monthly bill for two years).

If I were in your shoes I'd really rather not be paying thousands of bucks for something that was already old news a week after I bought it. But that's just me, I know some people really don't give a crap about that sort of stuff and just purchase something and go about enjoying it until they need a replacement.

Heck, you might even see these devices go on sale while you're within your 30-day return period on the Inspire and decide to go for those. At any rate, I'm sure you'll enjoy the Android experience. It doesn't look as sleek as the competition but it gets shit done right.

I'm still pretty happy with Desire atm, so getting the gingerbread update would be fantastic.

They've also released the full 3.0 SDK, so if anyone wants to try out the emulator, it's quite a bit faster and a lot more stable.