The Android thread

Automatic brightness is annoying the hell out of me in CM7. It sets the screen to be way too dark.

It's fully adjustable.

I just can't be bothered to modify 44 settings (yes I counted them) when the alternative is to turn the automatic backlight off :dunno:

I'm actually quite pleased by CM7 considering my hardware.

A friend of mine is elligible for a phone upgrade, and is going to buy his first smart phone tonight.

He is hesitating between the Nexus S and the Desire HD. I told him both were good choices, but I would go for the Desire HD.

What is FG opinion on that?

It's awesome in every way... except for the 14 minute battery life and the sim cover isn't great.

So between Nexus-S and Desire HD, go for the HTC?

The Nexus S has a far better screen, the Desire HD has an abismal one, it's TFT, god knows why... Massive ghosting, low contrast and blacks are more light grey. It does have a nice aluminium unibody, better signal and gps performance and comes with HTC sense.

If I were you, I'd wait for another month for the Sensation to arrive.

I forgot the DHD got the crappy screen. In that case I would also strongly suggest waiting for the Sensation. The Nexus S is pretty nice, but going from the Nexus One to the Captivate(largely the same as the Nexus S), and then to the Inspire(US version of the DHD, but got a SLCD screen), I can't imagine ever choosing a Samsung over an HTC. As a matter of fact, the only manufacturer I'd consider over HTC is Dell, though I've yet to hold one in hand. I like Motorolas as well, and if they continue to ease up on the locked/signed bootloaders(and if HTC continues to move toward it more), they'll be on the list as well.

I do miss that screen sometimes though.

Unless the Sensation was confirmed as coming to our carrier (Telus), he will not wait.

I didn't know the Desire HD screen was that bad.

Hmm, out of nowhere this morning when I tried to switch wifi on it just went "error", and after wiping the phone down it just gets stuck on the bootscreen.

Nandroid here I come...

The Nexus S has a far better screen, the Desire HD has an abismal one, it's TFT, god knows why... Massive ghosting, low contrast and blacks are more light grey. It does have a nice aluminium unibody, better signal and gps performance and comes with HTC sense.

If I were you, I'd wait for another month for the Sensation to arrive.

Don't know where you heard that about the DHD's screen. The screen on it isn't the best out there, but by no means is it bad or, as you put it, "abysmal".

Damn, the Original Galaxy Tab has dropped to $370...

So. Tempted.

Damn, the Original Galaxy Tab has dropped to $370...

So. Tempted.

If you are actually thinking about it, know that you will get basically zero tablet apps for it at this point. And that likely won't change because it won't get Honeycomb.

I enjoyed the Nook color while I had it, but in the long run just kept thinking "this could be so much better if I could get some of the tablet-optimized apps available in the Market for Honeycomb." That's basically why I sold it.

Edit: Is that the 3G of the new WiFi model? If it's 3G then it's really tempting indeed; I don't need the 3G but GPS and stuff is nice to have, plus you could actually hack it to be a ginormous comedy phone. :p

Last edited:
Edit: Is that the 3G of the new WiFi model? If it's 3G then it's really tempting indeed; I don't need the 3G but GPS and stuff is nice to have, plus you could actually hack it to be a ginormous comedy phone. :p

What do you mean?
It already IS a huge Galaxy S! :D

If you are actually thinking about it, know that you will get basically zero tablet apps for it at this point. And that likely won't change because it won't get Honeycomb.

I enjoyed the Nook color while I had it, but in the long run just kept thinking "this could be so much better if I could get some of the tablet-optimized apps available in the Market for Honeycomb." That's basically why I sold it.

Its the 3G version of the original 7-incher.

Ended up getting one for $300. Just couldn't resist giving it a try at that price, as I could always sell it on for that amount.

Last edited:
I'd like to buy a phone and would appreciate any tips.

I would like:
- Physical keyboard if I can get it
- 4G radio of some type
- The ability to load my own firmware (and by that I mean the bootloader should be unlocked/unlockable)

Any thoughts?

A friend of mine is elligible for a phone upgrade, and is going to buy his first smart phone tonight.

He is hesitating between the Nexus S and the Desire HD. I told him both were good choices, but I would go for the Desire HD.

What is FG opinion on that?

The Nexus S has stock Android on it, which is a major plus in my book. And Google's own phones always get updates the fastest. I prefer the SAMOLED screen, as well.

What do you mean?
It already IS a huge Galaxy S! :D

Ha, it is a Galaxy device afterall, you're right.

I meant you could actually hack it to get regular GSM service on it. I think this is stock on European models but over here apparently you only get data with your 3G SIM card.

Its the 3G version of the original 7-incher.

Ended up getting one for $300. Just couldn't resist giving it a try at that price, as I could always sell it on for that amount.

Dang, good buy. That's how much I paid for a Nook color just a month ago, and the Galaxy Tab has a lot of features that was missing.

I'm sure you'll have fun with it, using Android on a big screen was a nice novelty if nothing else for a couple of weeks.

How do you like the 7" form factor? I'm sure you've handled an iPad before? I fucking fell in love with the Nook color's form factor, just fit my hands perfectly.

P.S. Do yourself a favour and download Pulse news reader, just make sure Flash is enabled in the settings.

I'd like to buy a phone and would appreciate any tips.

I would like:
- Physical keyboard if I can get it
- 4G radio of some type
- The ability to load my own firmware (and by that I mean the bootloader should be unlocked/unlockable)

Any thoughts?

I don't believe there's any "4G" Android phones out with a physical keyboard yet.

Your choices aren't that many at any rate for an Android with a hardware keyboard... there's the T-Mobile HTC G2, Sprint Epic 4G or the Droid 2 from Verizon. As far as I know those are your only choices through your carrier, and the Epic 4G is the only one that fits your second demand.

I wouldn't recommend an Epic 4G though... all of the Galaxy S phones feel cheaper than their HTC or Motorola counterparts IMO, and the Epic 4G is especially flimsy because of the sliding mechanism.

Edit: Oh, forgot about the upcoming Sidekick 4G... that's an option too. :lol:

Last edited: