The Android thread

Meh, I much prefer the Desire and Sensation line of design to it.

Sensation's nice looking, don't get me wrong, but the unfussyness of the HD2 is appealing to me for some reason. :)

L0QtY.jpg

Doesn't appear to, but i'm sure you could map the Windows button to search, depending on the ROM that's installed.
The Windows button is mapped to "Menu" and i like it this way ;)

My girlfriend's G1 does not have a hardware search button as well, which brings me back to the point where I claimed that the default mail program is absolutely useless. Having a very basic feature like email search depend on an optional hardware button is bad UI design.

Speaking of mails, can anyone recommand me an e-mail app more feature-rich than the built-in one? A decent search feature would be nice, for example.

I haven't tried it personally, but a few friends swear by K9.

In unrelated news, CyanogenMod reached 500k installs, which for such a project I find is a huge, huge number. Some boring looking stats at:

http://stats.cyanogenmod.com/

and some prettier ones here.

Interestingly enough, there are 5.2 CM users in Greenland :)

The Windows button is mapped to "Menu" and i like it this way ;)

My girlfriend's G1 does not have a hardware search button as well, which brings me back to the point where I claimed that the default mail program is absolutely useless. Having a very basic feature like email search depend on an optional hardware button is bad UI design.

Bottom row of the keyboard:

androidevent83.jpg

The search button is not optional, AFAIK it's on every official Android device. The problem here is that the HD2 is not official :(

Bottom row of the keyboard:

androidevent83.jpg

The search button is not optional, AFAIK it's on every official Android device. The problem here is that the HD2 is not official :(

Search is optional. The Galaxy S international version doesn't have a search button.

Speaking of mails, can anyone recommand me an e-mail app more feature-rich than the built-in one? A decent search feature would be nice, for example.

Wait what?

GMail app has a search button. What built-in app are you talking about?

Wait what?

GMail app has a search button. What built-in app are you talking about?

He's referring to the standard e-mail app. There's a dedicated gmail client, and one that's for all your other mail (but can be used with GMail as well if desired)

He's referring to the standard e-mail app. There's a dedicated gmail client, and one that's for all your other mail (but can be used with GMail as well if desired)
Ah, right right, I forgot about the other e-mail services for a minute.

I haven't tried it personally, but a few friends swear by K9.
K-9 seems to be exactly what I was looking for. It seems to have some battery drain issues in the current version, but I think I managed to configure them away.

Menu long-hold is to hide and show the keyboard on every other phone.

Are you sure that's not a HTC Sense thing, I tried on my Droid 1 and got nothin. *shrugs* Back hides the keyboard for me...

It's been removed from the homescreen, as that's not a text input field, but whenever you are prompted to do so, you can bring up and hide the keyboard.

I'd get the Transformer if they have it. Everyone I know that got the Samsung complains about the lack of USB and card reader.

The Transformer is nice, but the Samsung has a really nice screen. I'm going to wait until next week, but I'll look at the Transformer too.