The Android thread

TouchWiz 4 is a huge improvement over previous iterations, but both of those skins are lame anyway. Cyanogen for life!

HTC has released the 2.3 update for the Desire in the form of a RUU. I'm charging my phone up, then will do a nandroid backup and fail at applying it, forcing me to wait for a rom in zip form.

You can get it at http://developer.htc.com

TouchWiz 4 is a huge improvement over previous iterations, but both of those skins are lame anyway. Cyanogen for life!

Is it still trying to look as much like iOS as possible?

HTC has released the 2.3 update for the Desire

Could you let us know what its like when you get it please. I'd like to know what they have had to do to make it work on the Desire. Though Tesltra here in Australia still have different plans for updating the Desire to Gingerbread as far as I know.

Could you let us know what its like when you get it please. I'd like to know what they have had to do to make it work on the Desire. Though Tesltra here in Australia still have different plans for updating the Desire to Gingerbread as far as I know.

My Hero has been running GingerBread for some time now. The only real issue I have with it is that it's rather aggressive at killing apps, but what can you expect with so little RAM.

IntoNow app, it's Shazam for TV shows and movies.
It's almost pointless, because you can tell what TV/Film show you're watching by the TV's EPG.
TG USA S02E02 came up as Top Gear Season 17 episode 5, but the episode details were correct.

Also it's America only, you have to apk it everywhere else. It's a free app, so am I allowed to post links to free apk's?

TouchWiz 4 got rid of the colored backdrops around icons and changed the widgets to be more "flat" and refined looking:

gsmarena_001.jpg
gsmarena_012.jpg

In all, it's more refined, and less iOS like, switch the app drawer to a vertical list and things are even less so.

Android Central says that Flashlight, Teeter and Facebook are not included in the ROM, although the first two are addable later in the form of APK's. In addition, no carrier bloatware is included. http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/andr...ngerbread-update-htc-desire-now-available-ruu

Telstra said that they'd swap out HTC Sense builds of Gingerbread with stock Gingerbread: http://www.androidcentral.com/australian-carrier-says-itll-ditch-sense-get-gingerbread-htc-desire

My Hero has been running GingerBread for some time now. The only real issue I have with it is that it's rather aggressive at killing apps, but what can you expect with so little RAM.
I could have installed Gingerbread ages ago too, this is official.

And no go on the install. Fucking root... I need to wait for a rooted flashable zip.

As it's in RUU it will erase any and all data on your phone, as far as I understand how HTC's RUU tool works. There are customruu.exe variants on xdadevelopers that will not format the device, but i doubt that'll go down well with an OS update.

And no go on the install. Fucking root... I need to wait for a rooted flashable zip.
<IT Crowd>Have you run the updater as Administrator?</IT Crowd>

Last edited:

:nod: just commenting in regard to "how did they get it to run." It runs ok on a lesser phone so it should be reasonable.

HTC has released the 2.3 update for the Desire in the form of a RUU. I'm charging my phone up, then will do a nandroid backup and fail at applying it, forcing me to wait for a rom in zip form.

You can get it at http://developer.htc.com
That update is shit. A friend of mine installed it. It's ok on speed, but utterly useless for everyday phone use. All data is gone, SMS aren't receiving properly (seeing delays of up to an hour and some are missing completely), camera app crashes every second time, and HTC even state in the disclaimer, basically, "use on your own risk". I think I'll be installing Cyanogenmod very soon; only problem is my Desire is from the final batches, and the Unrevoked rooting method might not work on it, then I'll have to do a lot of hassle with a goldcard and stuff.

It's so worth the hassle. 2.2 with Sense ranged from annoying to terrible on my DHD, and even though it took many failed attempts and an immense amount of cursing, when I was finally rooted and had CM it made everything ok.

Odd, I'm perfectly happy with Froyo on mine. What are you incompetent people doing to your phones, ffs?

Odd, I'm perfectly happy with Froyo on mine. What are you incompetent people doing to your phones, ffs?

Huh? What do a dislike of Sense and incompetency have do do with each other? I suppose I wasn't clear, but Sense was the issue, not Froyo, which I enjoyed as CM6 on the Nexus and some custom ROM I forget the name of on the Captivate.

I'm perfectly happy with Sense, I like the design and integration and how, unlike some other launchers, doesn't try to be an iPhone clone.

I'm perfectly happy with Sense, I like the design and integration and how, unlike some other launchers, doesn't try to be an iPhone clone.

Ditto.

I assume the omission of carrier bloatware from HTCs upgrade is the reason that Telstra are making other arrangements.

I bought one with motoblur on it. :(

I have to say that the MAP on the Droid X2 and 3 aren't terribad....I still think it's the weakest of the manufacturer enhancements though.

That said, I'm loving Go Launcher so far.

I tried Go Launcher again recently, but it had issues with re-sizing widgets.

coming soon through my local courier :D :D :D

samsung-galaxy-s-ii-real-ofic-1.jpg