The Android thread

Why even have a password/pin on your phone. Are you that prone to theft or losing it?

I prefer to have nothing, actually. That way I can have a nice lock screen.

Same, sure its a risk but meh, its a small price to pay for looks.

Why even have a password/pin on your phone. Are you that prone to theft or losing it?

Some exchange security policies require password/pin on lock screen

Because I am paranoid.

Face Unlock is pretty good- works in suprisingly low light although sometimes it didn't detect me cuz I was looking off to one side. Haven't tried it with a picture yet, but the "security flaw" doesn't bother me at all - it's not meant to be secure. It's no less safe (in fact, it's more safe) than a simple slide-to-unlock.

Tempted to try setting it up with my cat, but then I'd have to take the cat everywhere.

If I lost my phone, I'd change my Google password (and Amazon, come to think of it). I'm not too concerned about people reading my texts and I can have Sprint deactivate the phone.

I have a security app installed on my phone anyway. I can lock it down completely and even do a hard reset without uninstalling it.

I'm not prone to losing my ATM card either but I'm damn glad it requires a PIN.

It is an inconvenience but when you take the time to consider just how much of your personal information is on your phone, it is worth it. Location tracking data, contact details, navigation favourites like your home, banking details if you use a banking app or your phone's browser to bank, access to your facebook and other social networking pages, your ebay, amazon and google/gmail accounts.... the list goes on and on.

Last edited:
If I ever lose my phone, I just have to sms #### LOCK to it and ain't nobody getting any of that info. #### being my security code, that is.

Would you mind awfully pointing me to a free app capable of locking the phone via SMS? I'd really like something to remotely shut it down...

If I ever lose my phone, I just have to sms #### LOCK to it and ain't nobody getting any of that info. #### being my security code, that is.

That's a very good feature (and I second the notion to share what app that is), but extra layers of security are usually a good thing. I can imagine a situation where I can't send an SMS (i.e. on vacation without a second phone) and would want some extra time to get to a computer to change my gmail password.

Would you mind awfully pointing me to a free app capable of locking the phone via SMS? I'd really like something to remotely shut it down...

If you have a motorola with blur services or an HTC with full htcsense.com support you can remotely lock, locate, and wipe from there.

Norton and lookout let you lock and locate the phone but you have to upgrade to a full version in order to do a remote wipe.

Seekdroid isn't free but its what I use.

I was hoping that with ICS, stock android would become more "connected" like iOS and WP7 in this regard. Even blackberry has the ability to track and lock/wipe your device through their "Blackberry Protect" app.

So far, only htc and moto have done a web portal for managing devices like the competition and sadly motorola's moving away from that with most current devices.

Last edited:
The app is called Theft Aware 2.0. It requires root for some of its most advanced features (like installing itself as a system app to prevent uninstallation, even by a hard reset & hiding itself from the app drawer).

https://market.android.com/details?id=at.itagents.ta_setup_mf&feature=search_result

Here's a good review of it: http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/1...ion-weve-seen-to-date-really-hands-on-review/

It has been updated since that review to include migratable licences (so it's not locked to an imei) and as it stands is a 7 day trial, with in-app licence purchasing and right now they're offering a 70% discount, so for what it is, it's REALLY cheap.

I wonder how easy or difficult it's going to be to root the nexus prime.

The app is called Theft Aware 2.0. It requires root for some of its most advanced features (like installing itself as a system app to prevent uninstallation, even by a hard reset & hiding itself from the app drawer).

https://market.android.com/details?id=at.itagents.ta_setup_mf&feature=search_result

Here's a good review of it: http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/1...ion-weve-seen-to-date-really-hands-on-review/

It has been updated since that review to include migratable licences (so it's not locked to an imei) and as it stands is a 7 day trial, with in-app licence purchasing and right now they're offering a 70% discount, so for what it is, it's REALLY cheap.

So the only way to uninstall it is to install a new rom?

Hmm... I've no idea, actually. I think you have to install the installer app again and input your code.

Hmm... I've no idea, actually. I think you have to install the installer app again and input your code.

The migratable licence is good though. May have to make a nandroid and try this out.

Bit of a pain when it comes time to sell your phone but hey. Speaking of security apps, is anyone finding lookout to drain their battery really quickly? My NS is draining juice at a pretty quick rate.