The Android thread

On XDA they've already gotten parts of 2.2 working on the Spring Hero. Pretty impressive.

Also on the normal Hero. They are REALLY fast there! :D

I have to wait til October it seems, for 2.1 for my X10, is it that much better?

Are you running stock 1.5 or 1.6? Then a million times yes. I was on stock 1.5 and it has been a revelation. So many more apps available that weren't developed for 1.5.

It isn't that much better that you have to wait untill october though... The online community probably have a stable version of 2.2 before you (and I with my Hero) get 2.1

It isn't that much better that you have to wait untill october though... The online community probably have a stable version of 2.2 before you (and I with my Hero) get 2.1

I reckon we could see a stable version of 2.2 for the Hero next week :D They are SOOO fast :D

I'm now convinced to root my Magic and put the new Cyanogenmod 5.0.7 (based on Android 2.1) on it. Even started doing that, but of course, my damn phone and microSD cards I have are the worst possible for the process. Vodafone ROM refuses to get rooted easily, so I need a goldcard, goldcards can only be created on certain SD card types, and not a single one out of 5 I've tried so far works. I hate my luck.

Cyanogen 5.07 on the G1 is super smooth, easily kept up with my N1.

I think I'm going to go try to install Cyanogen Mod 5.07 on my G1.

Byez.

Okay, so finally my install worked. CM 5.0.7 on a german Vodafone HTC Magic (32B). Not without some complications when rooting, but it's running now, and running well. It is a lot smoother than stock, 2.1 brings some nice features, multitouch is enabled... don't know how long the battery will keep it up, working that out will take a few days.

update Right, so a few days have passed, and I am completely and utterly satisfied. Battery life is actually slightly better than on stock 1.6 (probably due to the CPU sleep mode feature), many things are way faster than before, the browser is now actually usable for going through full-sized pages with no noteworthy lag (and multitouch zoom is nice). Wi-Fi tethering actually works with root and a free app, which is nice :) All in all, I think I'll stick with stable Cyanogenmod releases now, and can definitely recommend it.

Last edited:
Ugh I keep trying it and just getting lost in what I have to do. Wish there was a step-by-step.

Ugh I keep trying it and just getting lost in what I have to do. Wish there was a step-by-step.
There is. http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?/topic/394-cyanogenmod-5-for-dreammagic-mean-lean-pastry-machine-v507-05252010/:
INSTRUCTIONS:
- First time flashing CM-5?
1. Root your device and install Clockwork Recovery (ROM Manager on the market) or Amon_RA's recovery (Dream / Magic)
2. Do a Nandroid backup!
3. Install the DangerSPL if you don't already have it
4. WIPE (I cannot guarantee an upgrade from CM-4.2 to CM-5 will work)
5. Install the ROM
6. Optionally install the Google Addon if you want Google Applications like Gmail and Market

If your G1 isn't rooted yet, head out to TheUnlockr, they have got a bunch of nice step-by-step manuals on rooting and installing ROMs. Make sure to read all applicable ones through first and choose the most recent one, that way you'll avoid most possible issues. Here's the link for the G1: http://theunlockr.com/category/howto/android_how_tos/htc-g1-dream-how-tos/

My SD card won't mount. Fuck me. it's been acting all wonky the last week or so.

Wish I could..Sucks being half broke :lol:

Same. If I had the coin, I'd be on Sprint faster than green grass through a goose!

Last edited:
Yeah, I was concerned about that fee myself. However, in central PA (Harrisburg/Mechanicsburg area), they just turned on the WiMax network so I'll be on 4G around my house if I go EVO. This is a pretty big deal as usually nothing remotely exciting like this would happen to central PA, usually only occurring in Philly and Pittsburgh. :) Unfortunately, I'd be on 3G only at school as I doubt Sprint's going to invest in 4G right away in Shippensburg. :p

I still think that the fee would be easier to swallow if it were, say, 5 dollars or something. You do get unlimited 4G (and 3G???...correct me) data though to make up for it. :)

Last edited: