The Android thread

Do the music and phone apps have special modes when docked?

One thing that's been bothering me is that every now and then, when I plug my phone into my line-in in the car, it automatically activates car mode. No idea how or why. Most of the time, it doesn't :?

Datasync

Looks like a good app. Requires root but would be very handy if you have multiple Android devices.

One thing that's been bothering me is that every now and then, when I plug my phone into my line-in in the car, it automatically activates car mode. No idea how or why. Most of the time, it doesn't :?

On my old Droid 1, odd apps launching when you insert headphones/rub the cord/twist the plug was a classic sign that the headphone jack was failing.

I recently got a Xperia Pro that I am very happy with, but there are a few simple things I miss from my old Nokias; for example a simple to do list with alarm reminders. Is there an app or something I haven't figured out?

The calendar is really not useful for things like that. :(

If you use the Google services, try the GTasks app. It syncs with Google Tasks which you can also access through Google Calendar.

Otherwise, there is a million todo list apps out there... some better, some worse. Wunderlist seems to be getting pretty popular lately (again, it's cloud synced and accessible pretty much everywhere).

I recently got a Xperia Pro that I am very happy with, but there are a few simple things I miss from my old Nokias; for example a simple to do list with alarm reminders. Is there an app or something I haven't figured out?

The calendar is really not useful for things like that. :(

Astrid is my favorite.

The power pack is worth it, IMHO.

Anyone else using a lot of Go SMS etc. apps? I've got a bunch on my phone and I love them, particularly Go SMS Pro.
I've always used the stock apps. Nothing wrong with them, especially the ICS one. Looks and feels very nice.

I've always used the stock apps. Nothing wrong with them, especially the ICS one. Looks and feels very nice.

+1, I prefer to have as much of my phone using the stock look as possible. That said, Sense 4.0 is pretty good in this regard - it's much subtler than earlier versions, and has some useful additions over the stock ICS phone/SMS apps (like the T9 name search in dialer, it's added in CM9 but still missing from stock ICS).

Hey guys,

Finally decided to take the plunge into the smartphone world. I'm not gonna spend a lot because I just don't like the idea of something that expensive in my pocket to be dropped/lost etc...

The reason I'm even going for a smartphone is because I also want it to be my music player. So that means I'm getting the 64GB Micro SD card, which isn't officially compatible with any phones because it's SDXC, but everything I've read seems to suggest it's compatible with almost everything. SO this is my issue:

I can't decide between the HTC One V or the Sensation. Sensation is older but seems a lot better equipped for only 70 odd euros more. While I won't be playing games or using photo/video capabilities much, I do think I'll be running stuff side by side. I just don't know how much difference the dual cores make if you're not gaming or wathcing HD stuff (which I won't be). What's stopping me getting the Sensation is the fact that it's older and not part of the new One philosophy and will lose support quicker. So I'm leaning toward One V, eventhough it is clearly less of a powerhouse. Any advice?

Also, do any of you KNOW whether the 64GB SDXC will work in them both? I'm assuming it will from what I read but no one has posted about the One V specifically...

Cheers guys, help would be appreciated ;)
[h=3][/h]

I'd go with the Sensation. Faster, dual-core processor, more RAM and it looks a lot nicer. The specs on the One V are about the same as those on the original Desire, which came out two years ago.

Also, do any of you KNOW whether the 64GB SDXC will work in them both? I'm assuming it will from what I read but no one has posted about the One V specifically...

HTC only shows compatibility with SD 2.0 (SDHC) in the specs for the One V, not SDXC (which is SD 3.0) - afaik, so far SDXC is only supported by some cameras. So I'd expect it not to work. There are 32GB SDHC cards out there though, those will surely work in both phones.

The One V has Beats audio enabled system-wide in all apps, which might be relevant to music listening experience. I've tried it in the One S: I'm no audiofile, but it sounds much better than my old Desire did, through fairly simple Sennheiser earbuds. The Beats implementation on the Sensation was not as advanced, afaik, and not available in all apps.

Also, when choosing a smartphone, I'd always go for the newer model. The Sensation is getting an ICS upgrade, but that'll probably be it, judging from experience with HTC upgrades; the One series will have longer support, that's for sure - at least one major Android upgrade is to be expected. Reviews are pretty positive on the One V so far, most say it's a solid entry-level smartphone, which is what you are apparently looking for.

when choosing a smartphone, I'd always go for the newer model. The Sensation is getting an ICS upgrade, but that'll probably be it, judging from experience with HTC upgrades; the One series will have longer support, that's for sure

With a slower processor and much less RAM, I wouldn't put my money on the One V getting more future upgrades than the Sensation.

With a slower processor and much less RAM, I wouldn't put my money on the One V getting more future upgrades than the Sensation.
Especially as there's quite an active modding community behind the Sensation.

Which there will be compared to the One V, which is only a mid-range device.

By the way, the first press-render of HTC's latest low-end phone has been released. Codenamed the "Golf", it is supposedly going to be called the HTC Wildfire C.
HTC-Golf.jpg
Rumoured to have a sub-1GHz processor and 512MB RAM, it should be pretty cheap. Nice looking little thing.

Seems like there's some disagreement :p
Here is one of the threads that talks about the 64GB card on smartphones: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1038039&page=16 so it looks like it will work if you reformat them.

As for the Sensation, it just seems to me that with this whole new One range, they would want to make that their thing and move away from the haphazard range they had before...My question though, is how much difference does the RAM and CPU make on these things for normal browsing/music/movies/maps/email/apps above the One V level? This is not meant to replace my computer, or my SLR camera for that matter. But will it be noticeably slow with even normal things, that I would get annoyed (remember no games or HD video)?

Seems like there's some disagreement :p
Here is one of the threads that talks about the 64GB card on smartphones: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1038039&page=16 so it looks like it will work if you reformat them.

As for the Sensation, it just seems to me that with this whole new One range, they would want to make that their thing and move away from the haphazard range they had before...My question though, is how much difference does the RAM and CPU make on these things for normal browsing/music/movies/maps/email/apps above the One V level? This is not meant to replace my computer, or my SLR camera for that matter. But will it be noticeably slow with even normal things, that I would get annoyed (remember no games or HD video)?

PocketNow did a HTC One V review, they loved the physical design but felt that the phone's internals weren't as up to snuff as they hoped. Its all about your own experiences though, I saw the web browser test they did and pages seemed to load ok, if a bit slower than other smartphones:

[video=youtube;j3Cuj-i-Lt4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3Cuj-i-Lt4&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Last edited:
I'd side with the raw hardware on this one, especially if ICS is coming. Even if support is dropped, the community will pull through on such a popular and powerful phone.