The Android thread

I deleted it just to be sure. It really sucks that Google does not have a better system for notifying the end user of such potential problems though.

Also, that is the first time that AVG has alerted me of a problem too.

I deleted it just to be sure. It really sucks that Google does not have a better system for notifying the end user of such potential problems though.

Also, that is the first time that AVG has alerted me of a problem too.

i use gReader Pro: light, fast & easy to use!

i use gReader Pro: light, fast & easy to use!

same, worth the cost, well if you have free gplay money :D but yeah, nothing else i found is as good

Tapping my feet here too......9 more days...wonder how fast Google ships.

So I got a Nexus 7 (32gig) last Friday. Decided on the 7 over the 10 for a couple reasons. Firstly, I've got an ION netbook (which can kinda run AutoCAD) and a powerful full size laptop as well. I can't justify $400 for a third device that would be worse at content creation than the netbook. Secondly the Android marketplace is still a bit small for my tastes. Phone apps seem to upscale fine on the 7, but there aren't a ton of tablet specific apps. I'm not quite willing to bet huge on Android apps yet.

The 7 is great as a novel / website e-reader, and passable enough at larger (magazine / engineering journal) pdfs. I've loaded up the local stormwater design pdf from the APWA, (a manual I'm well acquainted with from work) and have no trouble reading it. Probably won't use it much for work since I wouldn't be able to get it on the corporate network and would have to load everything up at home. Also been reading some epub's I've accumulated and never gotten to till now.

I'm already putting entirely too much information into the Google cloud, so its great being able to sync chrome across all three devices.

I should also note that this is literally my only mobile device that doesn't run BREW or isn't a calculator. I don't actually have a smartphone. I was a little worried my first day with the tablet because I kept getting distracted by the finger-scrolling. Fortunately my brain has started ignoring how cool it is and is actually letting me read without distraction now. What does feel incredibly cool is that the Nexus 7 is exactly the size of a PADD from Star Trek...

Loaded up navFree and I'm waiting for an excuse to see how it does with the built in GPS. This device will also be serving as my first GPS.

Which one? A lot of Android fans seem to be really dissapointed in the specs and limitations of the Nexus 4 phone, I'm assuming you're talking about the Nexus 10

All most of them bitch about is the lack of SD card, which Google anyway want you on their cloud services or streaming...

I'm torn between the Nexus S and the T-Mobile G2..ugh can't decide. The brain says, "choose the former" while my keyboard loving heart says "i wantz keyz!" :/

It all comes down to developer support, unless you don't plan on keeping the phone for long.

It all comes down to developer support, unless you don't plan on keeping the phone for long.

Yeah that's where logic comes in. I know that the Nexus S will have far more developer support for far longer than the G2. The G2's certainty not wanting for devs though with multiple ICS and JB builds (both W Sense 3.6/4 and without)

I see there's an article or two floating around that some Walmarts are putting out Nexus 10s early. I think I'm going to have to go shopping.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/09/asus-google-nexus-7-price-drop-compensation/

At $249, it's easy to understand why a few people may have bought a 16GB Nexus 7 on a whim in the past few weeks -- only to find out that a price drop was coming as part of the big Nexus announcement. Fear not, as Google has added the 16GB Nexus 7 to its "Price Protection" list on Google Play. This means that users who purchased a $249 Nexus 7 on or after October 14th will receive refunds covering the difference of the new and old prices.

That's a pretty generous protection window, so if you fall into this category, request a refund. Google says it'll refund the difference -- in this case $50 -- within 14 days.

Same applies for many Euro purchases.

I went to the shops today with the intention of getting an Orange upgrade and left with a shiny new O2 contract and an HTC One X+. I'll be paying a bit more but I'm happy with the deal I got. This phone is a beast, very impressed so far and I haven't even put the sim card in yet.

Or a proper ROM. :p

Or a proper ROM. :p

I'll probably stick with the stock ROM, played with different ones on the DHD and was never happy. Would be nice to get more power out of it though if possible.

One thing has surprised me though, the USB connection to the PC. I asked a friend at work to show me how his One S connects, the same way as the DHD with an SD card. I was expecting the same thing so wasn't impressed when the HTC Sync Manager popped up. Took me a while before I noticed the device showing up elsewhere with full access to the internal memory. Finally I can use Keyboard Cat as a ringtone and make it stick! Is this normal for the One X series?

Need to get my Otterbox case ordered soon, and it's time to play the 'replace all the docking stations' game again. Going to investigate these Beats earphones too, if they're available I may as well make the most of it.

Edit: Set it up with my bluetooth headset, didn't know it could sound any better than it did with these cheap earphones but it's like they're a new set. Still being blown away by the pixel density of this screen too, album art looks incredible!

Last edited:
Is there any way to stop applications from auto-checking stuff whenever I connect to the internet unless I manually open them? Specially Facebook <.<

I think Onavo has a function where you can block apps from connecting to the internet.
I bet others do too.

The way it should work is that you have to add a sync account for that specific app to your accounts & sync options, where you can disable auto sync, but still have the option to manually do it inside the app. Gmail is a perfect example of that.

Dunno about facebook since I forcibly remove that from all of the phones I have.

Is there any way to stop applications from auto-checking stuff whenever I connect to the internet unless I manually open them? Specially Facebook <.<

install friendcaster (and disable all auto sync in its settings) and disable the default facebook app...