The Android thread

1080p screen, aluminium shell, larger battery, much faster cpu (not in terms of clock speed, but instructions), better GPU, twice as much ram and a new camera technology that makes it a better performer in low light and has higher per-pixel image quality and NFC.

Oh, and it does come in 64GB flavour.

It isn't as pretty, though, but that's a matter of taste.

HTC's design aesthetic reached a high point with the Sensation and has been going down hill ever since. :(

HTC's design aesthetic reached a high point with the Sensation and has been going down hill ever since. :(

The HD2 would like a word. :p

I posted this on another forum but I'm posting this here to vent/warn others:

Ugh just now I'm reminded about why I'm so excited to leave this damn phone behind. Finally trying to move to JB (it's finally stable enough for prime time...sans camera of course) but since this is a Motorola handset...there's a lot of just garbage one has to do to work around the forever encrypted bootloader/eFuse. So I backup everything off my SD card and internal storage, which takes forever, then I have to install the latest version of Safestrap (a recovery/partitioning system that essentially allows Motorola devices to dual boot) but whne I try to boot into the stock system to remove the old Safestrap.....I get a boot loop.

What. The. Hell!?

I'm hoping someone will get me up and running again....I may have really screwed up. But the point is...these shenanigans shouldn't be necessary. It's ridiculous...the OG Droid was dead simple to do stuff to....this thing's locked down better than Fort Knox and everything's a battle.

You couldn't pay me to own a Motorola handset EVER again. Period, bar none. I don't care if the rumored X Phone turns out to be sent from Jesus himself, cures cancer, and is made of freaking tiffany crystal....Never. Again.
icon8.gif

I manged to get out of it but fuck I hate motorola with a passion.

rick, as long as you can get into the bootloader (which you can, given that it bootloops, thus the bootloader tries to boot something), you did not fuck up. There's always "wipe everything and flash stock ROM via fastboot".

Last edited:
So, im a custom rom noob, what's so important about binaries, are they the basis of the roms that are made, or are they patched into roms? how does it work

rick, as long as you can get into the bootloader (which you can, given that it bootloops, thus the bootloader tries to boot something), you did not fuck up. There's always "wipe everything and flash stock ROM via fastboot".

Yeah, shortly after that I managed to use "power + m" to manually bring me to the recovery. From there I was able to re enable Safe System and reboot into my existing custom ROM with everything still intact.

Its just frustrating lol. I may give it another go in a few minutes.

So, im a custom rom noob, what's so important about binaries, are they the basis of the roms that are made, or are they patched into roms? how does it work
What kind of binaries are you talking about? Once you compile any source code, you end up with binaries, so what you flash always is binary. Thus, I guess you are talking about some special kind of binaries. As far as I know, the RIL is one of the things that normally comes as a binary even in the source code for custom ROMs, as do some hardware drivers. In both cases that's because no source code is made available by the manufacturer.
I think with the RIL, it might even be a matter of FCC approval, i.e. the compiled RIL used on the phone has to be approved by the FCC in order for the phone to be legal.

EDIT: And as the RIL used has to match the Radio ROM/baseband used for best performance, these binaries are important to keep an eye on.

Last edited:
Russian company Yota Devices is releasing a double-sided Android phone called the YotaPhone with a 4.3" LCD screen on one side and a 4.3" E-ink screen on the other, both behind Gorilla Glass.

gsmarena_001.jpg

They claim it will increase battery life by 50%.

The phone comes with Jelly Bean flavoured Android, a dual-core 1.5GHz processor, 2GB of RAM, 32 or 64GB of internal memory, a 2,100mAh battery, LTE and a 12MP camera.

Well...it will increase battery life over a phone with two LCD screens...but it'll still be worse than a phone with only 1. Interesting, for sure, though!

I like the idea, and even more so the idea of having an e ink and regular lcd on one side, so you don't have to flip it over, i bet it's possible somehow

The idea is that things which would normally wake the LCD screen like notifications will instead show on the E-ink, which only uses power when it refreshes.

- - - Updated - - -

I like the idea, and even more so the idea of having an e ink and regular lcd on one side, so you don't have to flip it over, i bet it's possible somehow

Barnes & Noble did a Nook e-reader like that IIRC.

Wasn't theirs partly e-ink and partly lcd? im talking about one screen, fully lcd and e-ink, or partly e-ink, but in the same area, not divided