The Android thread

I've decided to postpone the kitkat update for the Nexus 10. It doesn't come with ART and the settings menu doesn't use the multi-pane view, which I clearly remember is one of the things that was most pointed out about Honeycomb when it first came out. WTF, Google? Get your shit together.

They've been moving back to a unified UI for all devices. I hate it.

They've been moving back to a unified UI for all devices. I hate it.

Yup and honestly that decision baffled me. On one hand, the unified UI makes for a more "consistent" experience between devices (something that critcs tend to point out as a Android weakness) but on the other it exaggerates the whole "blown up cell phone apps/UI" issue that critics also lob against Android tablets.

A good reason for me to just leave my N7 & N10 running on 4.3

Custom versions of 4.4 will surely see the return of that UI, but I think I'm done with "stock".

No opinions on the Optimus G, sorry, but it shares the same hardware as the Nexus 4 I believe

And that is quite nice to use, from what I can gahter? :D

Must do wonders for you battery life. :p

Speaking of battery life, everyone has been hating on the N5 for it's inconsistent Blife, but I charged my new one yesterday at 11 PM, and it's at 75% now 12 hours later. I think that's pretty good. Light use though, nothing heavy like gaming or jootube. I'd be curious to see how it fares after a typical day of surfing, music streaming, texting and general use.

Vodafone is ridiculously slow, in more ways than one. I switched to Telstra in 2008 after waiting forever for Vodafone to roll out 3G to Wollongong and I haven't looked back since.

Updated to 4.3 on the HTC One...just as the world is going to 4.4. Sometimes Vodafone is just too slow.

That's kind of an exaggeration, most of the world is in fact going to 4.3, only the more pure stock android devices (Nexus line, Moto X, Google Play Edition GS4, HTC One) are being updated to 4.4 right now), the skinned android UIs will of course take longer.

Engadget's Hands On review of LG's Banana Phone

IMG_0212.jpg

In the case you have around a thousand bucks to burn and you're looking for the coolest gadget to buy to impress your family during Thanksgiving dinner, look no further than the LG G Flex. This is the second device to come out with a curved display (the first being the Samsung Galaxy Round), which arcs from top to bottom and even offers a little bit of flex when you push down on it. Officially it's only available in Korea for 999,940 won (about $940), and while rumors are pointing to an eventual launch in other parts of the world, the earliest -- and richest -- of early adopters in the US can grab one from importers for around $1,100. One of those companies is Negri Electronics, which was gracious enough to send us a G Flex for a few days.

Between the G Flex and the Galaxy Round, you're looking at two of the most expensive smartphones this side of a Vertu or Porsche Design BlackBerry. So what's the point? The benefits of curved or flexible displays are three-fold (so far): they promise more durable gadgets, a better viewing experience over regular phones and could potentially lead to wholly flexible devices or even brand new form factors (Samsung, for instance, is already working on a phone with a foldable screen, as well as a prototype with a bent display). It's pretty exciting stuff, so we've opened up the G Flex box, fired up the phone, and we're ready to share our initial impressions with you. Take a closer look at the G Flex with our gallery and thoughts below.

Last edited:
Motorola announce they will discount $150 off price any off contract Moto X for Cyber Monday sale

moto-x-app.jpg

A quick heads up, folks, that the Moto X ? which is currently the best Android phone you can buy ? gets even better on Cyber Monday. Motorola will take $150 off any off-contract Moto X ? including the developer edition, as well as one you customize yourself with Moto Maker.

That means the 32GB Moto X can be had for $400, and the 16GB version drops to $350. (That's the same price as the Nexus 5, by the way.)

Motorola says supplies will be limited, and to stay tuned for more info.