The Android thread

I find it funny how the native android device owners are waiting for froyo and my HD2 which is not even an android phone has froyo up and running :)

use appbrain, it'll maintain a list of your apps that way you dont have to write down the apps you have.

I just had to do a factory restore of my phone and it downloaded all of my apps automagically for me after the restore.

Probably no news there, but is it possible that Samsung Kies, the software I have to use to update my Galaxy S, is about the biggest piece of crap right up there with Corel Draw and Real Player? It is painfully slow and dreary, changes its language to something unfathomable by itself and refuses to cleanly connect to the phone. First it didn't connect at all, now it connects half-assed (recognizes the phone but doesn't connect), but never enough to actually do something with it.

Seriously Samsung, seriously... <_<

Probably no news there, but is it possible that Samsung Kies, the software I have to use to update my Galaxy S, is about the biggest piece of crap right up there with Corel Draw and Real Player? It is painfully slow and dreary, changes its language to something unfathomable by itself and refuses to cleanly connect to the phone. First it didn't connect at all, now it connects half-assed (recognizes the phone but doesn't connect), but never enough to actually do something with it.

Seriously Samsung, seriously... <_<
If it's just for syncing, use DoubleTwist.

If it's just for syncing, use DoubleTwist.
I'm afraid I need Kies to install firmware and OS updates from Samsung.

I'm afraid I need Kies to install firmware and OS updates from Samsung.

...really? And here I was, looking at getting the Galaxy S.

Hell, my Nexus hasn't been synced with a computer, ever. I upload everything I possibly need over FTP.

Despite excellent step-by-step instructions, I was able to finally connect my phone to Kies. As it turns out however, Kies claims that the smaller firmware update I expected to find does not exist. And since I don't want to go through this hassle again, I rooted my phone this afternoon.

'Bout time.

So far, so good - but what do I do with it now? :lol:

Or Cyanogenmod, though I don't know if they have Froyo for it.

I started with getting rid of some previously undeinstallable apps, made a full backup with Titanium Backup and just installed the One Click Lag Fix APK. This basically speeds up all file operations. So while the CPU power is the same, the system does run noticeably faster overall. All the menus are faster and smoother, apps start faster, everything just feels perfectly greased. Oh, and I'm already running LauncherPro instead of TouchWiz. :)

I'm not so sure on 2.2 yet, since there still are bugs. I'm probably going for an altered kernel with 1.2GHz overclockability.

Last edited:
2.2 will bring up to 400% speed increase (for apps, normal os operation not as much), so if you like how fast it is now, you'll love it then. ;) My desire is noticably faster even with the hog of Sense.

Last edited:
You, butt. I want an unlocked Captivate.

I'm debating not switching to Sprint to get an Epic (yay college tuition...) and instead picking up a verizon Touch Pro 2 off of eBay and installing Android onto it. One question though? When people dual boot these phones, does android run "on top" of windows mobile in an emulated form, or does it run instead of it at nearly full speed?

That's just because you don't have touchwiz? DAMN!

I'm debating not switching to Sprint to get an Epic (yay college tuition...) and instead picking up a verizon Touch Pro 2 off of eBay and installing Android onto it. One question though? When people dual boot these phones, does android run "on top" of windows mobile in an emulated form, or does it run instead of it at nearly full speed?

WinMo is shut down before linux runs. It's not proper dual boot yet, though, as winmo has to start first and then run haret from it. There are extremely lightweight roms out there with auto-run scripts so you get more ram for android.

edit: interceptor... that looks more like 2.2 scores to me. Get this app (advanced version of quadrant, shows a more detailed graph) and take a another screenshot:

http://www.mediafire.com/?39uz6mhc9l2eig2

http://androidandme.com/2010/07/news/droid-x-vs-galaxy-s-and-more-with-quadrant-professional/

Last edited:
That's just because you don't have touchwiz? DAMN!
No, it's the Lag Fix I installed. A CPU overclock to 1.2GHz should add another 400ish points.

EDIT: so I bought the advanced version of Quadrant because it displays your single scores, which is very interesting:

https://pic.armedcats.net/t/th/the_interceptor/2010/08/22/screenshot_4.png

As you can see, my Galaxy S gains its score solely through the I/O system improved by the aforementioned patch. And there is something else: compare the standard Nexus One to the one running 2.2 (I suppose "2.2+" means that it runs Froyo). It gains massively in terms of CPU power, so my Galaxy S with 2.2 and the Lag Fix should rip the space time continuum open. :D

Last edited:
See my post above - same idea same time! :lol: