The Android thread

I want a hero so much....

LeMans GTR: Get a Magic, it's cheaper, then go to HTC's website and download the official Sense UI upgrade. :) Doesn't have the anti fingerprint coating or the 5 megapixel camera, but essentially it's the same. And looks better.

LeMans GTR: Get a Magic, it's cheaper, then go to HTC's website and download the official Sense UI upgrade. :) Doesn't have the anti fingerprint coating or the 5 megapixel camera, but essentially it's the same. And looks better.

Agreed.
The Hero isn't available here, but for some reason HTC phones have a premium on their price around here...
HTC Magic: USD1,200
Samsung Galaxy: USD740
Motorola Droid: USD1,000

I think it's hard to justify paying that much for the HTC, or am I wrong?

There's a second hand unused one on sale for 239 euro here... A brand NEW Hero is 509 euro. That's quite a mark up even around here and yours are even more expensive. Youch...

EDIT: on ebay.de, the Magic is also 239 euro, brand new.

Last edited:
How dangerous stupid would it be to buy an Android phone on ebay.com?

Last edited:
Well, just go with the seller with a good rating. I don't buy stuff from people with at least a few hundred sells and at least a 99% rating. Mostly it's genuine stores that can't be bothered to run their own online stores and just sell their products over ebay.

What Solitaire are you using? I haven't found a good one yet, there's always SOMETHING wrong with all of them.
It's just called Solitaire, by Ken Magic. Only works in landscape, but otherwise I have no complaints, a time killer as one should be :)

Maps does come as standard on "with Google" phones - which most of the popular Android handsets are, but not all of them.

Yeah but I want the camera

LeMans GTR, the HTC Magic was on 3G for $29/month for a little while.

http://shop.three.com.au/mobile-details/HTC-Magic

Says out of stock now, but you never know.

I've waited about a year for a Hero now and I'm not going to settle for second best and end up wishing I got the Hero instead. Plus; I like the looks of the Hero better than the Magic. Nexus One vs Hero however and it's a different story.

Well, its just a suggestion.....

well I really should check this section more often.

I'm loving my hero, even if it's on the outdated 1.5. Though as soon as the crew getting 2.1 going on hero get the Camera fixed, I'm updating!

Anyhow I had a point to this post, now what was it... oh!

Tunewiki and Imusic are freakin' awesome! Imusic lets you download any song in mp3 to your phone, I found a few songs I couldn't seem to find any torrents for (or anywhere else on the web). Tunewiki is just a nice music app, on par with the factory Hero stuff.

Anyone know of an app that will auto download missing album art and save it to the tag? I've done it multiple times on the PC, had it dialed on my ipod touch for a while, but every time I re-sync that, or change media devices, I always end up with some albums missing the damn art!

Oh and someone mentioned Swype for Android... if you can get it on your phone, GET, my god it's great! I've got it on my Hero

^ If you keep mentioning your Hero I might go over their and steal it off you. :razz:.............................:(

Im not sure but does the magic has a "glass" screen? I really can't remember.

And by the way, I suggest for ALL you Android users to Root your phone and run a Modaco Rom. My Hero is soooo fast with the apps2sd and if I want to I can even overclock it! :D

My plan is to stick with the modaco untill they release the official HTC 2.1 rom. Then when modaco has made his version of the 2.1 I will root the phone again and use that :)

Rooting is really safe. Just remember to run a Nandroid (and remember to save the "Nandroid" folder to your computer!!!) and then allmost NOTHING can go wrong. It's really woth it!! :)

Go to TheUnlockr to see the rooting and flashing steps for your Android phone :)

Oh, and allways remember to follow the Install guides for the Roms since some can be different :) And allways check if the Rom needs a "Wipe". A good thing about the Modaco is that it does not need a "Wipe" so you will keep all your date but with the new rom :)

If you have some questions you can ask me but the guys on www.modaco.com and www.forum.xda-developers.com know A LOT more than me :)

Android FTW! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
thedguy: Wait for HTC's own, will be less buggy.

I'll gladly go to HTC's when it comes out, but if the "hackers" get it done first...

I really REALLY want Trackmaster and it's unavailable on 1.5! But I NEED my camera as I use it for work, not that I couldn't use my spare in my bag.

And by the way, I suggest for ALL you Android users to Root your phone and run a Modaco Rom. My Hero is soooo fast with the apps2sd and if I want to I can even overclock it! :D

My plan is to stick with the modaco untill they release the official HTC 2.1 rom. Then when modaco has made his version of the 2.1 I will root the phone again and use that :)

Rooting is really safe. Just remember to run a Nandroid (and remember to save the "Nandroid" folder to your computer!!!) and then allmost NOTHING can go wrong. It's really woth it!! :)

Go to TheUnlockr to see the rooting and flashing steps for your Android phone :)

Oh, and allways remember to follow the Install guides for the Roms since some can be different :) And allways check if the Rom needs a "Wipe". A good thing about the Modaco is that it does not need a "Wipe" so you will keep all your date but with the new rom :)

If you have some questions you can ask me but the guys on www.modaco.com and www.forum.xda-developers.com know A LOT more than me :)

Android FTW! :thumbsup:

I'm running fresh rom myself. I tried Modaco but I had a couple of issues with it and didn't much care for it.

Everyone should root their phone, even if they do nothing with it, just so they can get nandroid backup. I LOVE that app. Backs up the phone as if it were doing a ghost image.

I ran a nandroid backup, then wiped the phone and installed 2.1 on my hero and went back to my backup of 1.5 with no issues!

This might seem like a stupid question, but can someone give me a couple of bulletpoints why Android is so great? Just based on engadgat (reading the comments there is painful) everyone seems to be calling out for it but I don't really get what's so vastly different from Nokia, WinMo and Apple (asides from the usual it's not winmo etc, which I really don't have a problem with)

Im not sure but does the magic has a "glass" screen? I really can't remember.
I have a Magic right here, and I don't think it is glass. Rather a fairly solid piece of plastic.

This might seem like a stupid question, but can someone give me a couple of bulletpoints why Android is so great? Just based on engadgat (reading the comments there is painful) everyone seems to be calling out for it but I don't really get what's so vastly different from Nokia, WinMo and Apple (asides from the usual it's not winmo etc, which I really don't have a problem with)
  • Open source (means virtually unlimited extendability, and a certain security in a sense of "you know what's underneath", no hidden spyware or stuff) - a huge point against iPhone OS, which is a very closed platform.
  • Highly modern platform design (easier application development due to system-integrated APIs that unify app access to many functions - calls, networking, GPS, camera, etc; also, security) - WinMo is miles behind on that, no unification there pretty much at all
  • Finger-oriented and well designed interface (on par with iPhone there, WinMo loses again - only additional interfaces like HTC Sense/TouchFlo 3D or SPB Mobile Shell deliver similar interface quality)
  • Android Market (same as AppStore on iPhone OS, nothing similar in quality to that on WinMo) - a point for Market might be that many good Android apps are free, whilst the majority in AppStore is not. Also, the AppStore censorship is questionable, in my opinion.
  • On "with Google" devices - seamless integration with Google services. Of course, WinMo offers sync with Outlook (which works... sometimes, from my experience), and iPhone works well with Apple's MobileMe service - but the Google services are free, and if you happen to use them, Android integrates in your workflow very well.

Those would be the main points of Android for me. I used WinMo earlier (owned a HTC Touch for a while), and I much prefer my Magic to it, for the reasons above.

Nokia currently has Symbian and Maemo as smartphone platforms. Symbian is fairly old, but is considered a good alternative - can't say much about it, never used one. Same goes for Maemo - but that can be quite interesting, as well, being based on a Linux kernel (same as Android) and having some very interesting features.