The Android thread

Is it bad that I want one of these even though I have no practical use for it?

No, I want it too.

In other news, Google Maps navigation is now enabled in Brazil! As is voice search! :D:D:D:D

Is it bad that I want one of these even though I have no practical use for it?

Nope, If I had a extra 100 bucks lying around and was close to a walgreens, i'd be tempted....very tempted.

They are only available online. I wanted to check it out, but no dice.

They are only available online. I wanted to check it out, but no dice.

The more I look at these 7 inch tablets, the more I think that I'll have to go against the grain: I want a 10 inch one.

I actually think that 7" is too small for a tablet as well. Excellent for my needs though.

The more I look at these 7 inch tablets, the more I think that I'll have to go against the grain: I want a 10 inch one.

I actually think that 7" is too small for a tablet as well. Excellent for my needs though.

I want both, a 7 incher for the go and the 10 for home. I like this one and this one. I think they will compliment each other quite well and reduce my PC usage to almost nothing.

Android Playstation Phone

If this is real, I want one!

I don't know what to think. The touchpad is weird but then so was the analog nub of the PSP (still, I recognize how important it was to have some form of analog control). Running Android is cool. If performance matches or exceeds the PSP then this would be quite epic.

Also very strange for Sony to include MicroSD over Memory Stick Micro.

Maybe they're on the verge of doing something right.

Maybe they're on the verge of doing something right.

Yeah if SonyErricsson manages to get their act together enough to not only launch a product on time but also release with a modern version of android (and keep it updated) then they could have a winner on their hands

The standard gallery app is more than capable, you have to make sure that the resolution of the source image is equal or exceeds 960x800. When you select the image, it'll ask you to crop and if it's exact dimensions, just resize it to max and it'll fit perfectly.
The source image has a resolution of 2560x1600px. I chose my preferred crop in the gallery app, and it set it as my wallpaper, but the result looks soft and pixelated. I think the gallery app uses a bad algorithm for resizing.

I'll try to make comparison shots with my camera to demonstrate...

I had the same thing happen, but with a larger image, regardless of how much of the image I cropped out.

The way I do it is I make the wallpaper in photoshop, resize it to the correct dimensions beforehand and use the 100% crop for the wallpaper.

The way I do it is I make the wallpaper in photoshop, resize it to the correct dimensions beforehand and use the 100% crop for the wallpaper.
I did that in the past, too, but it still came out very badly.

Please excuse the less-than-perfect pictures, but it demonstrates the difference quite clearly I think. This is the same image at the same magnification. The first picture shows what the image looks like in the standard gallery app, and this is what it will look like as a wallpaper, too. The second one is what it looks like in an app called Image Viewer.

(Please ignore the color moiree in the first picture. It happened during photographing my phone and is not visible in real life.)

https://pic.armedcats.net/t/th/the_interceptor/2010/10/29/Android_Waper_Gallery_App.jpg https://pic.armedcats.net/t/th/the_interceptor/2010/10/29/Android_Waper_Image_Viewer.jpg

Last edited:
Can you send me the source of the image and the link to the Image Viewer app? I'd like to check it out on my own.

speaking of the gallery, does anyone else have an issue with images downloaded from the net taking forever to show up there?

Odd, looks fine on my phone. Yours looks very compressed. :/

EDIT: thanks for that app, finally an image viewer of proper quality. Just wish the interface was more fluid, like say the HTC gallery.

Last edited:
Odd, looks fine on my phone. Yours looks very compressed. :/
Compressed and with lower resolution than the original. I also didn't find any options in the gallery app to change this. And unfortunately I didn't find any other app which can set an image as a wallpaper, hence my initial question.