The Android thread

Ah, NOW I get it

Uh, what's the point of having Google Voice make all your local outgoing calls? I was trying to find a way to have my Google number displayed on caller ID when I call people instead of my actual number, but that doesn't seem to do the trick.

I know why you'd use it for international calls, really cheap rates, but why local or long distance?

I use it to call local businesses or to segregate my calls. I've been giving that number to sales guys so I can tell if I want to pick up or not.

Last edited:
I downloaded it elsewhere, after a few hours found it to be about 10x slower than say swype, thus being about 9x slower than typing, therefore completely useless, apart from the reason in that pic.

I downloaded it elsewhere, after a few hours found it to be about 10x slower than say swype, thus being about 9x slower than typing, therefore completely useless, apart from the reason in that pic.

Perhaps I'll just stick with swype, then.

As someone who has never used Swype, but has been using 8pen for a few days, I can type nearly as fast as I can on qwerty now. However, I can do it without looking at all, and that is amazing. Also, it's in the Market, and Swype isn't. Thus, 8pen is better than Swype. :D

I don't like to pay for something without the chance to try it but I would imagine there's a steep learning curve (more than a few hours). I might give it a shot...

I don't like to pay for something without the chance to try it but I would imagine there's a steep learning curve (more than a few hours). I might give it a shot...

You get 24 hours to refund it, and you can have a decent grasp on it by then. I did, anyway. Also - it's a dollar and a bit. :p

I saw it on Lifehacker and they claimed it was free on the market. It isn't. I'd like to try it but I'm not going to pay for it until I've had a go.

Edit: Just read the above posts. Derp.

Last edited:
Well. I download it and the learning is definitely very steep, but the text prediction is pretty good and I can already tell that this has the potential to be very fast.

I use it to call local businesses or to segregate my calls. I've been giving that number to sales guys so I can tell if I want to pick up or not.

That's a good use case I suppose.

For now I'm still learning my way around Google Voice... the voicemail service is nice I suppose, being able to listen through your email or jump around in the messages. I just turned off call screening though since the people who call me don't need to be screened, I feel like a jackass having them say their name and then wait for me to answer.

Well I've been through the 8pen tutorial and with a bit of practice I should be quite quick. I like the gestures too, saves me typing out my email address for a start (which is good because I can't find the underscore yet).

It?s interesting, but I am not still sold on the idea that it?s faster than Swype.

Well I've been through the 8pen tutorial and with a bit of practice I should be quite quick. I like the gestures too, saves me typing out my email address for a start (which is good because I can't find the underscore yet).

Long press on the dash gives a bunch of line-like characters. I spent a LOT of time long pressing on everything (there really are a lot of special symbols available) trying to find the carat (^) only to eventually discover that it was under the shift menu in number mode...

Oh, and delete needs to be top right.

I've gone back to swype, the learning curve is just too steep for 8pen.

Any idea why 3G Watchdog is not counting my data usage?

Granted my phone only gets EDGE and this is specifically called 3G Watchdog, but it was tracking my usage with my previous provider. I don't see any settings I can switch so I don't see why it's stopped working just because I switched my SIM.

Edit: Also, put me down as another meh for 8pen - confusing as eff. Swype FTW.

Last edited: