The Android thread

Anyone know how to keep the apps you have in the order they are when you upgrade firmware. I had to redo all my apps when I went to Eclair, and then again when i started using Launcher Pro. I will be using it on Froyo from the start, (7 screens is awesome) but I really dont want to add everything in the correct sequence again.

Edit: I mean the shortcut buttons, not the actual download of the apps, that is being taken care of by appbrain.

^apps2sd
but you'll need to download the sdk kit for that since you have to use adb.

I'm sorry to dissapoint you but you will need to root your phone,
but I highly recommend doing so even if you're not a power user. theunlockr.com has a one click root here

Hm, it seems that you have to downgrade your phone first if you're on 2.1.. Might change in the future though. But for now it's a bit of an inconvenience.

I'm sorry to dissapoint you but you will need to root your phone,
but I highly recommend doing so even if you're not a power user. theunlockr.com has a one click root here

Hm, it seems that you have to downgrade your phone first if you're on 2.1.. Might change in the future though. But for now it's a bit of an inconvenience.

Checked the website, no Samsung Moment instructions. Any appreciable difference to another base android 2.1 phones instructions?

You could try this

Do you guys reckon we will see the 1.5GHz processors (not the 1.2 which is being shipped now) in a phone this year? I believe the first phone with one is properly going to be an Android phone ;)

I would like to upgrade my Hero to one of those when they come! :D

Last edited:
Call me crazy, but the fact we even have processors in the GHz range in cell phones is ridiculous.

Call me crazy, but the fact we even have processors in the GHz range in cell phones is ridiculous.

I am impressed with this, too.
Also, I read somewhere that Motorola claims they will release a 2GHz phone until the end of the year. :blink:

Motorola is making big claims in that regard. But with the speed that the phone cpus have been progressing (similar to PC cpus a few years back), I see it quite likely.

CPU speed isn't really the issue here, though. If Android really wants to trump Apple, they need to integrate a better graphics processing unit into the phone. The nVidia Tegra seems like the right way to go.

Last edited:
I would take less speed if it just meant more battery life. Right now I can barely get 9 hours of up time, like 10 min talk, 1 hr browsing/other rest of the time in lock mode. Get me a couple days battery and I'll be so happy. I liked my old phones ability to go a week without charging.

What on earth phone do you have that gets that crappy battery life?

I find that's the normal battery life for a smartphone with as many features as it has (push mail, twitter, google maps, browser, etc...)

For your 2 days, yeah that sounds about normal, but for RJ up there... something's not right.

I've been using my Droid as normal for web browsing, messaging, checking general stuff (granted, I don't use it much for actual talking) and it's still got 50% of the battery left since I unplugged it yesterday morning.

My phone has terrible battery life. I think. I should google things...

For your 2 days, yeah that sounds about normal, but for RJ up there... something's not right.

I've been using my Droid as normal for web browsing, messaging, checking general stuff (granted, I don't use it much for actual talking) and it's still got 50% of the battery left since I unplugged it yesterday morning.

If I don't use my Droid too much during the day I bet I could go two days on a single charge... but as it is, the past week I've been using it heavily since I've been bored at drill. When I get home next week I'll see if I can go two days on a single charge. I've been using advanced task killer to kill idle apps to reduce memory usage but I don't even know if that saves on the battery or not.

On my Hero I'm either on WiFi or 3G and I text quite a lot, when I unplug it 7 am I still have about 20-30% left when I go to bed at 11- 12 pm..

Do you guys reckon we will see the 1.5GHz processors (not the 1.2 which is being shipped now) in a phone this year? I believe the first phone with one is properly going to be an Android phone ;)

I would like to upgrade my Hero to one of those when they come! :D

Oh! I forgot to say that it was the dual core 1.5 GHz processors I was talking about! :D

Last edited:
Task killers don't help battery life, they actually diminish it. Android has good process management and shuts down apps and services when they aren't needed anymore, until then they just idle in memory. If you use a task killer to kill apps, you'll most of the time break a process in progress, which the app will have to restart when you start it again, meaning it'll in the long term use up more cpu time and battery life.