The Android thread

Original Moto Droid, running 2.2, no root access. How would I go about getting free full tethering (wifi or usb)?

Root and install Wifi tethering, or buy PDA Net...

Well the supposed root for any OS on my phone option I just spent half an hour trying won't work on this computer, and buying PDAnet isn't free. :lol:

Well the supposed root for any OS on my phone option I just spent half an hour trying won't work on this computer, and buying PDAnet isn't free. :lol:

There's a reason why they can charge money for them :p

I use EasyTether, no root required, free trial period, and only limits access to https:// sites. Full version is $10. Still a hell of a lot better than paying your carrier monthly.

Compressed and with lower resolution than the original. I also didn't find any options in the gallery app to change this. And unfortunately I didn't find any other app which can set an image as a wallpaper, hence my initial question.
Tried the 3d gallery or the browser? You can host the 960x800 image somewhere (or go select one from the wallpaper thread), open it in the browser on your phone, hold down on the image and select: set as wallpaper. That way it won't even ask you for cropping.

Also, root your phone and install cyanogenmod on it, ffs...

Last edited:
Root/Cyanogen, built in wifi access point.

HTC Desire, Desire Z, Desire HD, out of the box, built in wifi access point.

Your point?

;)

Not having to pay for it through verizon/whoever after root.

^Yes, the key thing I forgot to mention is that with root, it's free.

Oh, right, right, american carriers take every opportunity to shaft you, forgot about that.

Once again, I love GSM. AT&T thinks I've been using 2+GB of data every month with an LG Xenon.

Tried the 3d gallery or the browser?
The standard gallery app on the Galaxy S kinda is the 3D gallery, at least it looks like it. I don't know what your standard gallery app looks like, but it's probably different. Didn't we already try to install your gallery app on my phone in the past? (which didn't work)

As for the browser: good idea, but neither the standard nor the Dolphin Browser offer me to set an image as a wallpaper. The only things that come up when I hold down on the image is "save" and "view".

Also, root your phone and install cyanogenmod on it, ffs...
There is no Cyanogenmod for the Galaxy S.

EDIT:
I think I just cracked the problem. The standard gallery has a problem with all pictures above a certain resolution, probably the pixel height of the screen. All pictures which were resized to 800x960 px beforehand come up fine (sharp and without compression artifacts), and they look perfect as a wallpaper, too. All pictures which are bigger seem to get resized by the gallery app with a bad algorithm, so they come out pixelated and with compression. Either a bug or just bad programming I suppose.

Last edited:
Also very strange for Sony to include MicroSD over Memory Stick Micro.

Pretty much the Xperia X10 line uses MicroSD atm.

But yesh is the phone outdated... still running 1.6, the 2.1 update for Canada probably won't be out till next week or the week after :/

Note that i actually OWN a X10 because of the choice of High-End smartphones that were avaliable to me at Rogers just 2 months ago haha

Should look for something else in the near future [half a year from now maybe?]

I think I just cracked the problem. The standard gallery has a problem with all pictures above a certain resolution, probably the pixel height of the screen. All pictures which were resized to 800x960 px beforehand come up fine (sharp and without compression artifacts), and they look perfect as a wallpaper, too. All pictures which are bigger seem to get resized by the gallery app with a bad algorithm, so they come out pixelated and with compression. Either a bug or just bad programming I suppose.
I did some testing. Turns out the gallery has problems with pictures bigger than 1024 px in either direction.

All pictures of 1024x1024px or less will be displayed fine and also look fine when set as a wallpaper. All pictures above that will be displayed with reduced resolution and serious JPEG compression artifacts (even when they are not of JPEG filetype!). As is understand the happenings, the gallery internally generates a JPEG thumbnail which will be displayed instead of the actual image.

The weird thing is that when you set such a picture as a wallpaper, it will be set with the reduced resolution, but without the compression artifacts.

Last edited:
I don't know which thread is best to post this in, I suppose this is the best one.

In short, I pre-ordered the Desire HD today! :D

In long, I originally went to try Windows Phone 7 on the HTC 7 and compare it to Android and the Desire HD, and had a chance to try the Mozart in Phones4U, but didn't really like it because the screen is actually smaller than my Touch HD and the colours aren't great, along with the stupid positioning of the USB port.

Anyway, the guy then tried to convince me that the Samsung Galaxy S was better, to the point of being quite rude when I said I wanted the Desire HD. They were offering a good deal on the Samsung and I was tempted to go for it but decided to go next door to Orange and see what they thought of the Desire HD when compared with the Galaxy S. They said that the HTC should be better, which was interesting.

I then had the guy (who was much nicer and far less pushy than the bloke in Phones4U) go through all the checks and tell me that the Desire HD would be ?200 to pre-order, and they'd give me ?83 (or ?87, I forget) for my Touch HD. I'm very happy with that deal, so went for it and put a ?10 deposit down. I'll give him a call next Saturday to see if it's in yet, he said it's a maximum of 2 weeks from today.

I'm glad I went for the Desire instead of letting them persuade me into getting the Galaxy.

I have 9 months before I can upgrade my Droid with a discount. It's still working wonderfully but since I slipped on a wet sidewalk while holding it and smashed it into the cement and ground off some of the bezel on the bottom of the screen something fierce I want a new phone. :lol:

It is a cosmetic blemish that would of killed other phones.

It is a cosmetic blemish that would of killed other phones.

Probably. It was in my hand and I stuck my hands out to catch myself. It was body>hands>phone>cement. I was sure I'd killed it since I essentially dropped half my weight on the edge of it, then I flipped it over and just had scraped down to the aluminum or whatever the screens bezel is made from.

Probably. It was in my hand and I stuck my hands out to catch myself. It was body>hands>phone>cement. I was sure I'd killed it since I essentially dropped half my weight on the edge of it, then I flipped it over and just had scraped down to the aluminum or whatever the screens bezel is made from.

My HTC's have had similar experiences and survived well, my HD2 has had a tough life and has barely a mark on it.

Phones seem way stronger these days than they used to be (piece of shit nokia 6500 classic, which got a broken screen by sitting in my pocket)

My HTC's have had similar experiences and survived well, my HD2 has had a tough life and has barely a mark on it.

Phones seem way stronger these days than they used to be (piece of shit nokia 6500 classic, which got a broken screen by sitting in my pocket)

Yeah, materials quality has improved immensely. I think a lot of it has to do with the rise of glass capacitive screens that more easily resist scratches.