The Android thread

Just updated to Froyo version 1.32.405.3. I don't know what that means either. No noticeable changes although I track down the release notes later.

If it's not a major version, it's probably just smaller bug fixes. Major versions bring new features and fix major bugs like the webkit browser exploit that 2.1 and lower phones suffer from.

Downloaded 8pen.

I quite like it. I'm going to force myself to use it for a week (~50 texts a day, web browsing, twittering, skype) and see how it compares to Swype.

That's a good use case I suppose.

For now I'm still learning my way around Google Voice... the voicemail service is nice I suppose, being able to listen through your email or jump around in the messages. I just turned off call screening though since the people who call me don't need to be screened, I feel like a jackass having them say their name and then wait for me to answer.

They must have added that since I last checked. I might go turn that on.

Oh, another reason to have Google Voice, you can forward it to any number you want.

The main reason I signed up, other than being a nerd, was so I could do the forwarding thing.

Even though I don't quite get Google Voice yet, I'd be pretty happy with it if it showed my Google Voice number (or even my actual mobile number) when calling people. It always ends up using some random number in some random area code... I'm pretty sure the people I call are confused as all hell by this. :lol:

Installed 8pen, I like it. Still alot slower than the standard keyboard with it but getting there...

Installed 8pen, I like it. Still alot slower than the standard keyboard with it but getting there...

I've been practicing all day (work <_<) and I can now type without looking. It's getting pretty smooth. It's not super fast but it's fast enough that I'm sure I'll get better still and it will be fun to confuse the hell out of people.

nexus-s-itw-sm-1.jpg

Hmmm, Nexus S.

Yeah, I was really hoping the leaks were wrong. I hate the look of that thing, but I really wanted to have my next phone be the N1's successor if possible. Hopefully it'll be easy to port the ROM to the other Galaxy S phones, that way I can just get the Captivate and stick with AT&T.

Yeah, I was really hoping the leaks were wrong. I hate the look of that thing, but I really wanted to have my next phone be the N1's successor if possible. Hopefully it'll be easy to port the ROM to the other Galaxy S phones, that way I can just get the Captivate and stick with AT&T.

I can honestly say that this is the first time i've ever seen anyone use the phrase "stick with AT&T."

ANYWAY! Isn't Cyan nearly available on the Galaxy S phones?

I can honestly say that this is the first time i've ever seen anyone use the phrase "stick with AT&T."

Well, T-mobile has spotty 3G around here and I do rather like the speeds I get with the big blue monster.

As far as CM on galaxy phones, I haven't really been tracking it, but it seems kind of far off.

I really hope so.

So far, no news about it or even an estimated date.

what is your opinion on Samsung Galaxy tab?
its a bit pricey (about 700 euros), but still i sorta like it :p

edit. This was my 800th post :eek: /me goes to celebrate!!!!

Finally, 2.1 for Rogers branded X10 is out even though we could of flashed it nordic or generic.

Its much improved but much desire is still there. I sorta want the Desire HD if it ever comes to Rogers haha.

And the Galaxy tab, it seems alright, probably would have to see in person but i'd think its better than the iPad despite it being slightly smaller.

I bought an Epic 4G, loving it more and more every second! I was in two minds about the hardware keyboard but I actually kind of like that too.

But... I need to root this thing and fast, and not just because I want to enable free WiFi hotspot. How do I go about rooting and getting 2.2?

I'm not hellbent on unofficial 2.2, but I do want the hotspot feature since it's supposed to by my internet at home.

The thing is the HD2 had me a bit spoiled never having to root or anything, so I'm totally new to this. I'd hold off on doing anything if I didn't need the hotspot.

I'm not hellbent on unofficial 2.2, but I do want the hotspot feature since it's supposed to by my internet at home.

The thing is the HD2 had me a bit spoiled never having to root or anything, so I'm totally new to this. I'd hold off on doing anything if I didn't need the hotspot.

Would a wired tethering solution work? No root required, charges the phone over USB, and if you need wi-fi, you can make an ad-hoc network with the connected PC. I find it works much better for me just because it keeps the phone charged.

Finally, 2.1 for Rogers branded X10 is out even though we could of flashed it nordic or generic.

Its much improved but much desire is still there. I sorta want the Desire HD if it ever comes to Rogers haha.

And the Galaxy tab, it seems alright, probably would have to see in person but i'd think its better than the iPad despite it being slightly smaller.

Apparently some devs on XDA got custom rom working on their x10s but there are still some issues to be sorted out, the most important one is that there's no radio signal.

Have faith, I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel.