The Android thread

Would a wired tethering solution work? No root required, charges the phone over USB, and if you need wi-fi, you can make an ad-hoc network with the connected PC. I find it works much better for me just because it keeps the phone charged.

Well that would work well for now until I can familiarize myself with rooting and stuff. But you don't think Sprint has found a way to lock down wired tethering?

So far signal sucks at my new place anyway, wonder if they'll give a femto cell to a brand new customer.... maybe if I threaten to return it. :mrgreen:

Edit: I guess that's all moot, getting a max of 100kbps on Sprint 3G at home. I don't even know what to say, AT&T which everyone bitches about gets almost twice as much on 2G with the HD2. :(

Last edited:
Well that would work well for now until I can familiarize myself with rooting and stuff. But you don't think Sprint has found a way to lock down wired tethering?

So far signal sucks at my new place anyway, wonder if they'll give a femto cell to a brand new customer.... maybe if I threaten to return it. :mrgreen:

Edit: I guess that's all moot, getting a max of 100kbps on Sprint 3G at home. I don't even know what to say, AT&T which everyone bitches about gets almost twice as much on 2G with the HD2. :(

That sucks pretty bad speedwise, telstra while expensive has a kickass network

What you say is "Hi, Mr Sprint Support Man, Speeds Suck!" and see what they say.

Anyone updated to V2.10 Swype? I'm still using 2.6 at the moment.

I have Sprint myself, it's not locked down but they have a general data cap of 5 GB / month. Hell you can find the apps on the market.

And 100 KB/s is about what I get at home on a weak signal, it can get up to about 250 in a good area.

I thought Sprint had truly unlimited and uncapped data still?

I'm probably going to return this thing, I can't fathom how AT&T is faster on a 2G phone... and I was going to depend on this thing for internet at home. Fuck.

I thought Sprint had truly unlimited and uncapped data still?

I'm probably going to return this thing, I can't fathom how AT&T is faster on a 2G phone... and I was going to depend on this thing for internet at home. Fuck.
Sprint does have true unlimited and uncapped data. They still frown at you for using too much, but as far charge goes, it's nothing extra.

Also, like I said, call Sprint and bitch about the speeds. Also, this.

Last edited:
Well a femto cell would be of no use to me since I don't have internet at home, that's kind of why I got a 4G phone to begin with. Apparently there's pockets of 4G in LA already, it can't come here soon enough.

I'm doing USB tethering right now and it's somehow a lot faster than browsing on the phone, it's almost bearable this way. I don't know what it is but in Canada I always had full signal wherever I went... I never sympathized with Americans complaining about poor reception but now I understand. Back home you either had no signal or full signal, and I never heard anyone else complaining either.

Fuck off, I don't need your attitude right now. I know WiMAX isn't true 4G.

This absolutely sucks ass, Speedtest actually gave me 8kbps download one time.

I know, I'm just lulzing myself. Tought luck on the connectivity, though. I only get edge at home, so I'm on wireless all the time, but it works, cause I do have a home-line and regarding your comment about browsing speed, it will be faster on your pc, because rendering speed doesn't rely on only how fast your internets are and you pc is much much more powerful than your phone.

Hope your provider stops sucking soon.

Well a femto cell would be of no use to me since I don't have internet at home, that's kind of why I got a 4G phone to begin with. Apparently there's pockets of 4G in LA already, it can't come here soon enough.

I'm doing USB tethering right now and it's somehow a lot faster than browsing on the phone, it's almost bearable this way. I don't know what it is but in Canada I always had full signal wherever I went... I never sympathized with Americans complaining about poor reception but now I understand. Back home you either had no signal or full signal, and I never heard anyone else complaining either.

I generally get 1 Mb/s (lowercase b) tethering at a minimum, which is totally bearable as long as you don't have any large downlaods. Not sure I would want it as my sole source of internet but it's great when traveling. My phone is not 4G or WiMax or whatever though, and its slow enough at rendering pages that speed is moot on the phone itself :p

1Mb? The hell man? Jerk.

Okay then, Sprint can go screw themselves. I went and parked at a bunch of different places and only once did I get anything decent (1200kbbps). Otherwise even with a full signal I was getting 100kbps or less.

This sucks so bad... I'm in an empty apartment in a strange city and this slow piece of shit is my only lifeline. I thought plopping down so much money would at least prevent me from getting bored and lonely.

1Mb? The hell man? Jerk.

Not sure what you mean? 1 Megabit is 128 kilobytes...... not particularly fast. But usable.

Okay then, Sprint can go screw themselves. I went and parked at a bunch of different places and only once did I get anything decent (1200kbbps). Otherwise even with a full signal I was getting 100kbps or less.

This sucks so bad... I'm in an empty apartment in a strange city and this slow piece of shit is my only lifeline. I thought plopping down so much money would at least prevent me from getting bored and lonely.

That's strange, on a full signal I get about 2 Mbps. And that's just 3G. I've never really measured on the phone itself though, only bothered when tethering.

I guess my downloads aren't as bad as I thought. That upload is pathetic though, gonna have to see if it's a CM thing.
19056556.png

Wifi, because I was curious:
19056699.png

Could the phone be defective? I keep doing Speedtest tests and 3G sucks way more often than not (different parts of the city).

Last edited:
Seems plausible, I suppose. How good of coverage are you supposed to have in your area?