The Android thread

Cause it's a hastily made PoS that still doesn't work properly.

The i9100? It's not due out till February, and I'm not even sure if it's been handled yet.

Interesting discovery of the day: terminal emulator. I don't think it's normal to enjoy using vi with 8pen this much. It's such a bad idea :lol:

EDIT: Dammit, slowly but surely performance is degrading again. Gonna go back to stock ROM for a while. Maybe it is 8pen after all? I've only installed a few apps and very popular ones at that....

Last edited:
Ok, back from my walk. 2 hours 20 minutes of my tracks polling the gps every second and media player at full volume.

10h 34m since unplugged, 40% battery
MyTracks: 40%
Wi-Fi: 18%
Cell Standby: 17%
Phone Idle: 17%

GPS is a hungry bitch.

Oh, that one, thought you meant Galaxy S.

Yeah, I'm learning this more and more. Samsungs look good on paper usually but are a world apart when you actually try one out.

The Epic 4G is going back, either for an Evo or for something from a different carrier... even on full signal 3G speeds can be quite crappy.

Back on 2.1, back to Sense..... was the phone always this fast? Even with all my crap installed its as good as Cyanogen was fresh.....

Go with Verizon, that way you'll be able to get LTE, though that would require a new phone. AT&T's lack of true unlimited data rules them out, and while I like to root for T-mobile, they're really just not as good as the others.

EDIT: Forgot to post what I came in here for. I want a battery widget that's 1x3, and preferably all white.

Last edited:
Go with Verizon, that way you'll be able to get LTE, though that would require a new phone. AT&T's lack of true unlimited data rules them out, and while I like to root for T-mobile, they're really just not as good as the others.

That's the thing, Verizon don't sell any LTE-capable phones right now so that is moot for me, I'd have to get a new phone from them now.

I spent another hour waiting to be helped at Sprint today, and ended up not getting an Evo to try out because they said the 30 day trial period is only on your first phone. Whatever, shit signal and shit customer service do not deserve my time or money.

I am pretty certain that the Epic I had was defective, even while showing full signal I would sometimes get really slow data and sometimes a no connection error. The sliding keyboard mechanism was already starting to loosen and make noises a mere four days in, and the battery... oh my word, I don't even know what to say about the battery. I charged it up today before leaving home, made a 30 second phone call and browsed the web for maybe 10 minutes at most, and it was dying on me by the time I was sitting in the Sprint store... no excuse for a 6 hour standby time if you ask me. Oh, and it took like 5 hours to fully charge using a wall adapter!

The Epic just kind of sucked in general... thick, plasticky and the same chintzy design Samsung has on all their devices... fake chrome does not look good Samsung, stop putting it on every damn product you push out your doors. That's why I was going to try an Evo, because it feels so much more premium, but Sprint pissed me off and I decided to go for a full refund.

But now I don't know what to do, I don't want to sign a contract with Verizon or AT&T only to have a similar experience. Plus, there is no Android phone I have my heart set on after realizing the Galaxy S phones are pieces of dog turd. I'm probably just going to bite my lip and get internet at home, and continue using my AT&T prepaid for the time being.

So in short, steer clear from Sprint and the Galaxy S phones if you ask me. I wish I hadn't let it screw with my head for four days. Now I just have to wait 6-8 weeks to get my security deposit back through the mail.

That's the thing, Verizon don't sell any LTE-capable phones right now so that is moot for me, I'd have to get a new phone from them now.

I spent another hour waiting to be helped at Sprint today, and ended up not getting an Evo to try out because they said the 30 day trial period is only on your first phone. Whatever, shit signal and shit customer service do not deserve my time or money.

I am pretty certain that the Epic I had was defective, even while showing full signal I would sometimes get really slow data and sometimes a no connection error. The sliding keyboard mechanism was already starting to loosen and make noises a mere four days in, and the battery... oh my word, I don't even know what to say about the battery. I charged it up today before leaving home, made a 30 second phone call and browsed the web for maybe 10 minutes at most, and it was dying on me by the time I was sitting in the Sprint store... no excuse for a 6 hour standby time if you ask me. Oh, and it took like 5 hours to fully charge using a wall adapter!

The Epic just kind of sucked in general... thick, plasticky and the same chintzy design Samsung has on all their devices... fake chrome does not look good Samsung, stop putting it on every damn product you push out your doors. That's why I was going to try an Evo, because it feels so much more premium, but Sprint pissed me off and I decided to go for a full refund.

But now I don't know what to do, I don't want to sign a contract with Verizon or AT&T only to have a similar experience. Plus, there is no Android phone I have my heart set on after realizing the Galaxy S phones are pieces of dog turd. I'm probably just going to bite my lip and get internet at home, and continue using my AT&T prepaid for the time being.

So in short, steer clear from Sprint and the Galaxy S phones if you ask me. I wish I hadn't let it screw with my head for four days. Now I just have to wait 6-8 weeks to get my security deposit back through the mail.

I can guarantee you that it's not Sprint, it was just the phone. I have absolutely no issues with Sprint, and even get speeds on 3G than what I sale at work.

Maybe, but you're in a different state. AT&T has excellent service here, but there are many who have had very different experiences across the country.

I can guarantee you that it's not Sprint, it was just the phone. I have absolutely no issues with Sprint, and even get speeds on 3G than what I sale at work.

I can't guarantee it because I'm not in your area, but signal is fine for me as well, at least better than you got. But yeah, don't expect good customer service from any carrier, though waiting that long is ridiculous, around here you can't walk into a phone store without salespeople all over you.

I think it can be the phone too, if I remember right, they actually acknowledged the speed problem (and actually issued a patch to fix it?), wonder if it's related to that.

CM6.1 BETA for the Galaxy S.
About time!

I can't guarantee it because I'm not in your area, but signal is fine for me as well, at least better than you got. But yeah, don't expect good customer service from any carrier, though waiting that long is ridiculous, around here you can't walk into a phone store without salespeople all over you.

The thing with Sprint's service is that, if their 3g is crap, you get free roaming to VZW... who is fucking everywhere. Cheap plans and Verizon coverage? Yes, please.

Yea, but unless you are in a former Alltel area where they had 3G roaming agreements with Sprint, you are gonna get stuck with 1x if you roam on Verizon. That and you have to be careful the amount of data/minutes you use too, that "unlimited" roaming actually only gives you 800mins and 300mb before they can officially get mad at you. (Although that's just something they say, in the real world you can go over that most of the time and they don't care. I've used 5.6gb a month roaming before and nothing happened to me.)

:lmao:

Like others have said, Oklahoma and California are not even close. I'm glad you like Sprint, but they are shit over here apparently. Plus, customer service was absolutely fucking atrocious to be honest. Not going to allow them to lock me into a legally binding contract and then treat me like dirt.

I'm gonna sit on my HD2 for now on AT&T prepaid, with LTE and dual core Androids around the corner it wasn't wise to go on a 2-year contract for a Samsung hunk of shit anyway.

OK, my mom is fed up with her Desire not working properly, and since she has an iPad, she stopped using everything but the Phone app on it anyway. So I've got it now, getting a replacement device in a few days (seems to be a hardware fault - keeps rebooting and getting stuck in boot loops for no reason), and then I'm finally on a device that is somewhat up-to-date.

http://www.androidcentral.com/android-market-obviously-getting-revamp-addition-new-graphics

Reader Jeff e-mailed us this morning to point out some fairly big changes to the Android Market developer's console (that's the place where you actually upload apps). There are now options for high-resolution app icons (high res being 512x512), plus "featured graphics" at 1024x500, and a space for a YouTube promotional video.
We're not the only ones seeing it (Android Police has pointed it out, too), and the change undoubtedly goes hand-in-hand with some of the new features Google showed off at its IO conference in May, the upcoming releases of Android 2.3 Gingerbread -- and Honeycomb on the horizon -- and the down time that the Market developer's console will see Thursday night. Good things are on the way, folks! Thanks, Jeff!

https://pic.armedcats.net/i/ic/icebone/2010/11/17/android-market-changes.PNG

Dunno if this has been posted yet (and may be a bit late):

Wow. Dream phone.