The Android thread

my motorola razr is pissing me off something chronic atm - lag city for no good reason and shit battery life, pretty much no apps and a couple of email accounts (for the love of god never let lotus notes traveler use push, your battery will only last like 2 hours)

my motorola razr is pissing me off something chronic atm - lag city for no good reason and shit battery life, pretty much no apps and a couple of email accounts (for the love of god never let lotus notes traveler use push, your battery will only last like 2 hours)

Lotus Notes...that's your issue. *kidding*

Is your RAZR on ICS? If not, I'd dump the Motorola GB launcher which is just buggy garbage. Try Go Launcher or ADW. If you're on ICS, try Apex launcher, although I've played with the Motorola ICS/JB launcher and it's as close to stock as you can get.

If a launcher replacement doesn't solve the issue and you're keen on tinkering, there's the "semi-custom" ROM route. While based on the stock firmware they're still heavily modified and trimmed down and can make a difference. I'm on one for the D3 now. It's the best we've got on Motorola devices thanks to the encrypted bootloader, although that's changing with KEXEC builds of JB and ICS for both D3 and RAZR.

EDIT: It appears that the ICS upgrade is available on Austrailian RAZR's...if you haven't taken advantage of this, back up your media and perform the upgrade. You should notice a difference in performance. https://motorola-global-en-aus.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_detail/a_id/78239/p/30,6720,8111

Last edited:
Lotus Notes...that's your issue. *kidding*

Is your RAZR on ICS? If not, I'd dump the Motorola GB launcher which is just buggy garbage. Try Go Launcher or ADW. If you're on ICS, try Apex launcher, although I've played with the Motorola ICS/JB launcher and it's as close to stock as you can get.

If a launcher replacement doesn't solve the issue and you're keen on tinkering, there's the "semi-custom" ROM route. While based on the stock firmware they're still heavily modified and trimmed down and can make a difference. I'm on one for the D3 now. It's the best we've got on Motorola devices thanks to the encrypted bootloader, although that's changing with KEXEC builds of JB and ICS for both D3 and RAZR.

EDIT: It appears that the ICS upgrade is available on Austrailian RAZR's...if you haven't taken advantage of this, back up your media and perform the upgrade. You should notice a difference in performance. https://motorola-global-en-aus.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_detail/a_id/78239/p/30,6720,8111

yeah it's on ICS, MMS's refuse to work since the upgrade - have tried a few launchers and they all seem to have similar issues

Don't really get much choice on the lotus notes front :/

Finally got my Galaxy S3 rooted. Can anyone point me in the right direction for good guides and choice of stock ROMs to reflash on my phone?

8177781737_e00eafc437_z.jpg

Last edited:
Ice beat me to it. :lol:

AOKP is worth checking too.

"Codeworkx", CM's maintainer for the S3, just threw the towel, citing frustration with lack of support from Samsung's side. Basically he says that it's impossible to deliver an satisfactory aftermarket ROM for the S3 until Samsung changes it's policies.

Last edited:
Re: The Android thread

Ice beat me to it. :lol:

AOKP is worth checking too.

According to the site the GS3 isn't a supported device yet for AOKP yet but thanks.

"Codeworkx", CM's maintainer for the S3, just threw the towel, citing frustration with lack of support from Samsung's side. Basically he says that it's impossible to deliver an satisfactory aftermarket ROM for the S3 until Samsung changes it's policies.

Well that's too bad as well. guess I will have to live with the factory bloatware for now til someone else reliably cracks the code.

Aside from reflashing ROMs, does root access give me any other benefits to modifying my phone?

Last edited:
It'll give you access to certain levels of code that you normally wouldn't have access to. In the past that was most often used to take screenshots, but since that's a factory option now, it's disused. With a proper kernel, you'll be able to OC your phone, there's wireless tethering, if your ISP blocks it, change DPI, fonts, boot animations, and other apps that require root and are quite useful are Titanium backup (which is really nice for backing up apps with their data to be imported on a new rom), and security apps which can shut down, track or wipe your phone and can be installed in such a way that unless you input a security code into the dialer, there's no way of knowing it's installed and won't be removed even with a factory reset (they don't show up in any list of installed apps, or even in /system/app/.

According to the site the GS3 isn't a supported device yet for AOKP yet but thanks.

Well that's too bad as well. guess I will have to live with the factory bloatware for now til someone else reliably cracks the code.

Aside from reflashing ROMs, does root access give me any other benefits to modifying my phone?

Weird.

I see a 4.1.2 ROM for the SIII referenced in other sources and even links for download. :dunno:

I thought Samsung had released the Exynos documentation by now, they said they were working on getting it together in response to this a while ago.

If Edkwon got a US GS III, it's a completely different animal under the skin, running on the Snapdragon S4 processor.

Last edited:
I thought Samsung had released the Exynos documentation by now, they said they were working on getting it together in response to this a while ago.

If Edkwon got a US GS III, it's a completely different animal under the skin, running on the Snapdragon S4 processor.

Oh shit!

I completely forgot about that! :idiot:

yep, its a Samsung SGH-i747 AT&T brand, not the i9300 international version.

So experienced users, i'm currently running 4.01 ICS with my wireless carriers bloatware firmware. I guess my options for reflashing the firmware include custom ROMs like CM10 or AOKP's SGS3 firmware, or a stock ICS or JB Samsung ROM. If this is incorrect feel free to correct me. Sell me on reasons to upgrade my ROM to one of the following choices aside from getting rid of the bloatware which is a plus.

I know older versions of Android OS lacked some really basic functions and rooting/reflashing was necessary. I'm trying to find a compelling reason to do it on my phone right now. I'm sure there are but I don't have the experience to know. Those that do, please speak up.

Last edited:

You should be pretty solid on the ROM front then, looks like there's plenty in the AT&T GS III section on XDA

Tried buying a Nexus 4, failed. Jumped on it the second the store opened, 30 minutes of "technical error", self-cleaning baskets and jumping from available to coming soon later, it is sold out.
UK needed ~20 minutes, Australia 22, Germany 13. Looks like they have no real stock and Google Wallet just goes offline....

So experienced users, i'm currently running 4.01 ICS with my wireless carriers bloatware firmware. I guess my options for reflashing the firmware include custom ROMs like CM10 or AOKP's SGS3 firmware, or a stock ICS or JB Samsung ROM. If this is incorrect feel free to correct me. Sell me on reasons to upgrade my ROM to one of the following choices aside from getting rid of the bloatware which is a plus.

I know older versions of Android OS lacked some really basic functions and rooting/reflashing was necessary. I'm trying to find a compelling reason to do it on my phone right now. I'm sure there are but I don't have the experience to know. Those that do, please speak up.

You're correct, you can flash custom ROM's like CM 10 and there's usually at least one Manufacturer/Carrier branded ROM floating around as a away to get back to the out of the box state.

Honestly, play with the stock ROM for a bit. TouchWiz UX is pretty customizable and pretty responsive so you might find that it suits your needs just fine. You can always disable apps from running and hide them in your app drawer if you don't feel like flashing a custom ROM. For a lot of people that's certainly a good middle ground.

Custom ROM's offer more customization for things like audio, custom kernels let you overclock, there's themes, etc. They also tend to be lightweight and have various tweaks throughout the ROM to make it faster.

My brain is ready to explode after navigating through the amount of information on the xda forums... Too many abbreviations, too much conflicting and outdated information.
So, here's a simple question and I want a simple answer! :p

What is the newest ROM that I can put on DHD with following list of requirements: no Sense, working wifi hotspot, working 720p camera, manages the battery properly.