The Android thread

I know that I have a Nexus 7, and honestly I don't even tinker my Galaxy Nexus surprisingly. I just need reliability now because I'm all over the place now. As it is I usually replace my phone about every year or so. :p The only downside is I need to leave my beloved TMO :(

That is an interesting twist...

I can't help but notice that everybody here seemed to think that 4G was important when the iPhone didn't have it and all the best Androids did, but now that the new iPhone has it and the latest Nexus doesn't everybody is making out like it doesn't matter. :lol:

Last edited:
Of course!
We never said we would be fair... :p

Honestly: I can't give two shits. I barely have 3G but I see why this is important to some people.

As long as I have a connection I can deal with it. Heck I was using EDGE until late 2010 so the speed bumps were welcome :)

I can't help but notice that everybody here seemed to think that 4G was important when the iPhone didn't have it and all the best Androids did, but now that the new iPhone has it and the latest Nexus doesn't everybody is making out like it doesn't matter. :lol:

You're willing to ignore a lot of faults when a phone is $300-350 instead of $700+.

What's funny is that mobile connections are considerably faster than a large portion of what people have at home.. It really is a shame.

Edit: I has Razr HD with 4.1.1 stock android :))

Last edited:
I dropped my GNex last night (yes, there might have been alcohol involved). The glass broke. WTF is this shit? I dropped my HD2 a gazillion times without any lasting damage, and now, not even three months into ownership, this? To make matters worse, it looks like the glass/digitizer/display/case assembly is glued together and can not be taken apart, so I am at Samsung's mercy for repairs.

friend of mine dropped his GS3 last week. they want 230eur to repair it... :|
Damn. It's only a small crack at the bottom, so I can live with it for some time. I will not pay more than 150 or so Euros to get the phone fixed. The Nexus 4 is just too cheap. Or will be, once it's back in stock.

Re: The Android thread

I forget which site did a tear down but it's a pricey part. I'm probably going to sell mine now that I have the RAZR.

This is purely chance.
Me and Ms. Redliner dropped our Gnexes (yes, matching phone. Cute, huh?) a few times and both survived.

I dropped my GNex last night (yes, there might have been alcohol involved). The glass broke. WTF is this shit? I dropped my HD2 a gazillion times without any lasting damage, and now, not even three months into ownership, this? To make matters worse, it looks like the glass/digitizer/display/case assembly is glued together and can not be taken apart, so I am at Samsung's mercy for repairs.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Samsung.

I forget which site did a tear down but it's a pricey part.
US-based rootzwiki users have paid $164 for the repair. I've seen the part for 150-ish Euros (plus shipping) on several websites. Will call Samsung and get a quote tomorrow.

QFT that's why I went with the Moto.

Moto isn't any better. I have a friend who has had three RAZR's break screens and such in less then a year. He even had a case for it for a while and it still got a cracked screen. After the first replacement, he was even super careful and they still broke

On the other hand, my Samsung Captivate took multiple drops, working on cars, getting laid on under a truck, and even got welding splatter on it and its still completely useable. I'm hoping that my Galaxy Note II that I got a few weeks ago will hold up just as well.

Shit happens and stuff breaks, and thats true of any brand. Ice Bone has his personal vendetta against Samsung for some reason, but I think 99% of it is unfounded.

Moto isn't any better. I have a friend who has had three RAZR's break screens and such in less then a year. He even had a case for it for a while and it still got a cracked screen. After the first replacement, he was even super careful and they still broke

On the other hand, my Samsung Captivate took multiple drops, working on cars, getting laid on under a truck, and even got welding splatter on it and its still completely useable. I'm hoping that my Galaxy Note II that I got a few weeks ago will hold up just as well.

Shit happens and stuff breaks, and thats true of any brand. Ice Bone has his personal vendetta against Samsung for some reason, but I think 99% of it is unfounded.

And conversely again, my original Moto Droid took a glass down encounter with the concrete with most of my body weight behind it (it was wet and the walk was ridiculously slippery for some reason, I had the phone in my hand like one is normally held, my feet slipped out in front of me and I fell straight down and used the hand with the phone in the palm to break my fall in classic fashion) and survived with only the coating on the aluminum frame scraped off around the edge of the screen. I was absolutely sure the phone was toast as I sat on the wet cement.

It's crazy how sometimes something stupid like dropping a phone a matter of inches can hit just right and crack a screen where others you can literally smash a phone into cement and walk away with paint scrapes.

Yup, there's weak spots in any phone design. A lot of device makers these days are gluing cover glass, display panel and digitizer together, so really it's just as much a pain to replace the glass on a say LG as it is a Samsung, Motorola, et all.

I will say that my Droid 3 has survived some impressive drops...of course it's so beat up looking that I wouldn't be able to sell it for much. :lol: