The Android thread

When I got my Nexus 10, it started downloading all my apps once I had logged into my Google account. Not all of my games kept their save files, but some of them did, so I consider that a developer issue rather than a problem with Android itself.

Carbon backup utility - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup&hl=en

Android really, really needs a standardized way to transfer apps and data across devices. God knows how long I spend trying to set up my phone.

The apps themselves should transfer between your devices when you sign in. The functionality is hit or miss...sometimes it does work, other times not so much.

I do wish they would leverage your Drive space more...backing up app data, photos and text messages to the cloud. I know they let you auto upload photos but you have to be a google+ member and download the + app to do that...I don't let anything auto upload my photos because I don't really feel comfortable doing that.

How granular are AOKP's notification controls? One of the things I use Light Flow for is app-specific vibration patterns.
You can create custom vibration patterns - not sure how granular you can assign them as I never used the feature.

Got light flow lite for some nifty color LED notifications, then i learn it sort of takes over the LED and doesnt let whatsapp or any other app with built in light work, unless you buy the full version of light flow for 2.5$ which has "app support". I DONT WANT YOUR APP SUPPORT, STOP BLOCKING MY OWN APPS LIGHTS THEN CHARGING ME FOR IT. #firstworldproblems

That is some shit. Why does Google let them get away with that?

That is some shit. Why does Google let them get away with that?

I emailed the dev, apparently it's the only way to do it without creating conflicts, he wished he didn't have to do it that way, since it makes his job more of a headache adding support for each and every app that would need it, but it's the way android does the LEDs, so unless Google fixes it or every app from Google or otherwise add LED functionality, impossible to go around

Maybe it took something back. :p

Welp, my phone battery died, my dad has a spare for now, but:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006ARYDK0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

How bad can it be?

Terrible, probably. But I'd love for this thing to last longer.

EDIT: It's arrived. Still charging but is taking much longer to do so which is a good sign. The replacement back cover is glossy black (original Samsung is textured) and is awful quality, but it will do. Will have to see if I can get used to the size.

Last edited:
Time for some bragging - got a new record battery life out of my GNex:

As you can see, the brutal standby time comes from not using the phone at all. This is more representative of everyday use:

(The screen-off activity is e-mail being pushed to the phone)

32h on one charge with three hours screen on time is not all that bad - but I was pleasantly surprised to see the phone last 60+ hours even if I did not really use it during this time.

Last edited:
Time for some bragging - got a new record battery life out of my GNex:
As you can see, the brutal standby time comes from not using the phone at all. This is more representative of everyday use:
(The screen-off activity is e-mail being pushed to the phone)

32h on one charge with three hours screen on time is not all that bad - but I was pleasantly surprised to see the phone last 60+ hours even if I did not really use it during this time.

Mine usually lasts quite long as well (Nexus 4). Even with data on all day (8AM till 7PM ish) and Wifi on all the rest of the time, I have a good 50% charge left before I plug it in at night for a top up.

Mine usually lasts quite long as well (Nexus 4). Even with data on all day (8AM till 7PM ish) and Wifi on all the rest of the time, I have a good 50% charge left before I plug it in at night for a top up.
Frustratingly, I usually am at around 45 to 50 percent when I go to bed, just five to ten percent less than I'd need to get through another day.

That's better for the battery anyway.

Frustratingly, I usually am at around 45 to 50 percent when I go to bed, just five to ten percent less than I'd need to get through another day.

I'm surprised at the battery life of the Google N4. Consider it's more powerful than my old phone (which isn't quite that old to be honest) it does quite well. I haven't been disappointed by my Nexus 4 yet.

Compared to my Nexus S, the battery life is significantly better. I'm only on HSPA+, but two of my friends who are on LTE tells me there seems to be no impact on battery life. The stock ROM is nice, but I reckon CM 10.1 with the franco kernel really makes it a lot better. It even makes the colors look a little more saturated. The ability to customize the color of the notification light was also a big plus for me. The screen tuning was the only issue that I really had with the phone. I can easily last for an entire day with around 30% to spare when I plug it in at night. I got around 4+ hours of screen time and I still ended up with around 20% when I started to charge it at night. All things considered, its probably one of the best Android devices out there.

Last edited:
Results are in on the $10 Amazon superbattery:

1) 89% battery remaining after 16 hours of standby, including a couple of MMS and checking email once or twice as it comes in. Awesome

2) The back shell cracked after 2 days and is now held on with Scotch tape (as a precaution, it still holds its form). Not awesome.

Meanwhile in Nexus 10 land:

2f5Nyu5.png

Also, apparently armed cats doesn't support file uploads from a nexus 10.