The Android thread

not so for wifi though. if you have strong connection, OK. but if you're somewhere (like at a bar) and 2 houses next to it they have a hardly reachable hotspot, your phone will keep trying to connect, and drain the battery way too fast...

Hm, can't confirm that. Though I don't use public hotspots, the only WiFis my G2 autoconnects to are home, university and work, which all have a solid signal when I'm anywhere near. In background scan mode, WiFi power use is negligible, and with a strong connection, it'll drain less battery than a 3G/4G data connection.

Over many years that I've been using Android, I've come to a realization: switching WiFi and BT off is more of a hassle than it's worth. It doesn't save any significant amount of battery, since both modules use nearly nothing while in standby. And leaving them enabled allows for said automation, which makes other aspects of life with the device much nicer :)
This. So much this. I used to switch off wifi when leaving the house, enable BT for the car, and do the opposite when arriving at work. It's such a hassle that I keep forgetting and then getting a call in the car,etc.

Just leaving everything on maybe costs me 4hrs of battery over 3 days, so whats the point really?

Ive started leaving BT on 24/7 because of my watch, havent noticed any more drain than usual

Is there a dedicated thread for smartwatches?

If not: What is the best one now?

Only comparing reviews i find are from march-april this year. Most of them say the moto 360 is the best.

Any takes? Anyone tried the new Asus Zen thingy or LG G watch R?

I liked the 360 cause it was round and looked the best, internally theyre mostly the same cause android wear is pretty restrictive. The G Watch R was discounted to around 210 dollars recently, it's all a matter of taste right now, all of them will last at least 24-30 hours, all of them run the same exact software with the only difference being the companion app on the phone and available launch faces.

.02$

Isn't the pebble king of the watches? I know it lacks some features but to me the important stuff is there like notifications etc. Also mega battery life which is a big plus to me

Actually for me it would have some fitness enabled stuff like heart rate monitor and motion sensor.

This as an extra incentive to get me off my lazy ass and get more exercise.

Also, color screen?

To me, 3 day battery life > color screen. Id use it as a watch mainly, and for when I'm too lazy to pick up my phone, unlock it, and read the text/email

My Gnex is dying, so this was a good read for me.
Thanks.

Got 5.0 on my N4, must be dropping for everyone today, liking it so far, the best feature is the proximity unlock for my trusted device, aka my watch, and can double tap on lock screen notification and go directly to app :D

I am not digging Lolipop on my Nexus 5. I don't like that the old email app went away and it forces you to use Gmail. I don't like the way it lists emails and I can't figure out how to make it act like a normal mailbox. Also my Nexus has stopped all audio notifications for texts or even calls, I've repeatedly checked the settings.

I want to go back.

I have one OnePlus One invite code to give away, first one to pm me can get it. Please include email address in your pm

The gmail app supports yahoo and hotmail, so if you're using those, nothing changes, really.

What are you talking about making it act like a normal inbox? What am I missing here?

And damn it, people, quit your whining about things changing. Did you bitch when disc brakes replaced drum brakes too? Or when 16:9 TVs replaced 4:3? :rolleyes:

Besides, it's Android, you're not locked into doing it one way. Also, maybe try giving it a shot for more than a week to see if you get used to it, it may not be better, but it certainly may not be worse, just slightly different.

My friends and I have long winding email group conversations, it gets confusing using the Gmail app when they get lumped into "threads" or whatever Google calls them. I want to see individual emails.

Also my phone no longer notifying me when I get a call or a text message IS a big deal and the phone worked just fine before the upgrade.

Gmail has had threads instead of individual messages for over 2 years now. This isn't a lollipop issue. It happens in the web client as well.

Besides, conversations are what threads were made for. You get the entire conversation in one view, you don't have to look for it by date and jump between inbox and sent items.

And about not notifying you when you get a text or a call, that's not a feature of 5.0, but a bug. What's going on there? Maybe you have DND on?

- - - Updated - - -

What's wrong with plain IMAP?
Well, that was never a feature of the gmail client, so if you're using something else, you'll need to find a 3rd party client. The gmail app has always been just for gmail, I don't know why they added just yahoo and hotmail, tbh.

Well, that was never a feature of the gmail client, so if you're using something else, you'll need to find a 3rd party client. The gmail app has always been just for gmail, I don't know why they added just yahoo and hotmail, tbh.

The old email client went away, so apparently gmail is the default now? A default email client that doesn't speak the default email protocols feels useless.

Besides, conversations are what threads were made for. You get the entire conversation in one view, you don't have to look for it by date and jump between inbox and sent items.

Not when you have 4 or 5 people in the email and everyone is responding "conversation" view just makes for a confusing mess.