The Android thread

The old email client went away, so apparently gmail is the default now? A default email client that doesn't speak the default email protocols feels useless.
Actually, I was wrong. Yahoo was just listed as an example. Apparently it supports all IMAP/POP stuff now.

My friends and I have long winding email group conversations, it gets confusing using the Gmail app when they get lumped into "threads" or whatever Google calls them. I want to see individual emails.

Also my phone no longer notifying me when I get a call or a text message IS a big deal and the phone worked just fine before the upgrade.

Do you see a star in your notification bar at the top of the screen? If so, this explains why you're not hearing any notification sounds. Hit the volume up or down key and tap "all" on the window that appears.

You can download other email apps from Play Store. It's not exactly ideal for most people who like keeping gmail and IMAP/POP separate but that's the shakes.

Once you have a 3rd party email app installed, you can tell your phone to stop loading 3rd party email in gmail by doing the following:

RLRlCCp.jpg

Last edited:
Do you see a star in your notification bar at the top of the screen? If so, this explains why you're not hearing any notification sounds. Hit the volume up or down key and tap "all" on the window that appears.

As a matter of fact, yes there was a star. Cheers for the help. I don't even remember setting any priorities during initial setup.

The gmail app supports yahoo and hotmail, so if you're using those, nothing changes, really.

What are you talking about making it act like a normal inbox? What am I missing here?

And damn it, people, quit your whining about things changing. Did you bitch when disc brakes replaced drum brakes too? Or when 16:9 TVs replaced 4:3? :rolleyes:

Besides, it's Android, you're not locked into doing it one way. Also, maybe try giving it a shot for more than a week to see if you get used to it, it may not be better, but it certainly may not be worse, just slightly different.

I have the same Gmail app on 4.4, really not a fan of it. The red/orange seems odd given Google's usual color themes but the main problem is that on my large phone, the screen elements are too big. For example, the messaging app shows 10 conversations on screen but Gmail can only fit 5 due to the "social" and "promotions" always heading the primary inbox.

I have the same Gmail app on 4.4, really not a fan of it. The red/orange seems odd given Google's usual color themes but the main problem is that on my large phone, the screen elements are too big. For example, the messaging app shows 10 conversations on screen but Gmail can only fit 5 due to the "social" and "promotions" always heading the primary inbox.

How about changing the DPI? On my N5 the stock DPI makes everything looks massive. I have dialed it down to 400 (From 480) and it looks much better now.

You just need root. Then install this. Looks like the Note 3 also has the dpi set to 480. Try changing it to around 420 or go below to whatever you prefer. Just don't go too low. Stay above 300

I'll hold off on rooting for now, not worth the hassle as the phone works so well stock (I had custom roms on both of my previous phones after they stopped receiving official updates).

I now have 2 OnePlus One phone purchase invite codes to give out, please msg me w email address if interested

It seems lije nobody wants a 1+1 anymore? :dunno:

Finally rooted mine but the 4.4 version I got was incompatible :( so back to stock 4.2.2 I go...
Must remember to get a more popular brand of phone next time ...

i'm in the same ship...

but now your phone is rooted you can install titanium backup, and remove all the stuff you don't use

i'm in the same ship...

but now your phone is rooted you can install titanium backup, and remove all the stuff you don't use
Mine's extremely bloatware free so I'm not bothered by all that. My wife's Z4 is identical in specs aside from the screen and has atleast 10 acer junky things....
She won't let me root hers though :dunno:

Edit: all invites are gone now.

Last edited:
I didn't get an order number for my Nexus 6 preorder, but searching the Vodafone forum. People either got them or they were given nothing but a broken link which said they didn't order anything.

After 20 minutes of trying to get through livechat, I got my working order number. I asked the guy if he knew what day they would arrive as the site just said "Ships from the 5th" He told me i'll have it by Saturday. :D

well that's just cheating that is... and boring! this is what i get out of my xperia z3, using it normally (although mostly sitting around at home..., more often than not i'll recharge after the third day of use):
2014-11-29%2017.10.45.png