Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

iPhone 4S

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #81
    I'm going to get one for my wife soon. It'll be a colossal upgrade from her Droid Eris (which is such a steaming pile of dung).

    I'm assuming there will be more available voices for the Siri thing. The voice in the video sounds pretty cheesy. Even cheap GPS's come with better voices than that these days.
    lol. That was my first thought upon hearing Siri: "Don't in car navi units sound more natural?" Also, ouch @ Droid Eris, the iPhone will be worlds better.
    "The way I see it a car enthusiast is somebody who is enthusiastic and interested about the motor car in all its various shapes and forms from supercars to East German 2-strokes made of cardboard. Everyone else is merely a car elitist IMO." ~ Captain 70's

    Get out of my way! I have photocopiers to sell! ~ Perc

    "A computer is a Lite-Brite for bad fucking ideas."

    FinalGear's Dash-Stroking Whore

    Comment


      #82
      Probably going to sell my iPhone 4 and use the money to buy an iPhone 4S, assuming I'm eligible for an upgrade.
      My Cars: 2008 Dodge Viper SRT-10 convertible (summer weekend car), 2001 Ford Mustang GT coupe (winter car & grocery getter)
      There is no replacement for displacement.
      - Wolfgang Bernhard, then Chief Operating Officer, Chrysler Group talking about the Dodge Viper SRT-10
      ... I ask Herb Helbig, vehicle synthesis manager for SRT and a member of the original Team Viper development group since day one, if they'd ever thought of adding traction control. "It comes with two," he says, pointing at my feet. "Learn to use them." Got it.
      - Motor Trend on the 2006 Dodge Viper Coupe, November 2005

      Comment


        #83
        Originally posted by jeffy777 View Post
        I'm assuming there will be more available voices for the Siri thing. The voice in the video sounds pretty cheesy. Even cheap GPS's come with better voices than that these days.
        In all fairness though, the GPS's phrases are pre recorded and can have the tone of them tweaked to make it sound more realistic, whereas on Siri it has to make the whole sentence it says out of a library of words and try to make it sound natural and try and take into consideration the tone in which it is being said.

        Though I do see what you are saying and it shouldn't really be too much longer until it catches up.

        the GPS voice > Siri on iPhone 4S > Getting my macbook to say something just to make me laugh at the way it says it...

        Comment


          #84
          Originally posted by cvrefugee View Post
          Sprint roams on Verizon, so...how long ago did you have service with Sprint? I think the biggest announcement is that the 4 and 4S is now available on Sprint - the last major carrier with unlimited data (and cheapest).
          A long ass time ago like 7-8 years. From what my friends tell me it hasn't changed really. I don't want to roam esp not for data which would be stupid expensive.
          Probably going to sell my iPhone 4 and use the money to buy an iPhone 4S, assuming I'm eligible for an upgrade.
          From all reports you are likely not but you can check here https://buyiphone.apple.com/WebObjec...on/springboard
          Last edited by prizrak; October 10th, 2011, 2:27 PM.
          ScarFace88 - "So you're a dildo?"

          Comment


            #85
            If the voice choice is directly linked to the Mac's selected voice, boy do will that be fun. I LOVE to have the PipeOrgan voice on my iPhone.
            1993 Ford F-150 Flareside - July 2010 - August 2013
            2004 Ford Mustang - September 2013 - Present
            1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
            2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - Present (it's road legal!)


            Originally posted by narf
            Did I mention it burps and farts like a Roman orgy?
            Originally posted by Redliner
            Wankel is better because BRAP
            Originally posted by prizrak
            The difference between a manually shifted auto and a proper manual is about the same as masturbation and sex.

            Comment


              #86
              Originally posted by Viper007Bond View Post
              Probably going to sell my iPhone 4 and use the money to buy an iPhone 4S, assuming I'm eligible for an upgrade.
              If I had an iPhone 4 I wouldn't bother. I'd wait for the 5.
              bogative ?

              "Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy." - Colin Chapman
              "If you think about it breast implants aren't much different than braces. Their main purpose is to improve one's appearance, at least that's how it was in my case." - KaJun
              "So the [suspension's] spring seats fail every 2 years, so what? They cost less than $250 to fix. And if a person can't afford that every two years, than maybe he shouldn't own a car at all." - _HighVoltage_ on Volvos.

              Comment


                #87
                Originally posted by prizrak View Post
                A long ass time ago like 7-8 years. From what my friends tell me it hasn't changed really. I don't want to roam esp not for data which would be stupid expensive.

                From all reports you are likely not but you can check here https://buyiphone.apple.com/WebObjec...on/springboard
                There's no additional charge for roaming. Unless I specifically check for it I don't even know if it's happening.

                Comment


                  #88
                  Originally posted by thevictor390 View Post
                  There's no additional charge for roaming. Unless I specifically check for it I don't even know if it's happening.
                  That must have changed since I owned it then.
                  ScarFace88 - "So you're a dildo?"

                  Comment


                    #89
                    Originally posted by prizrak View Post
                    That must have changed since I owned it then.
                    8 years is a long time

                    Comment


                      #90
                      Originally posted by thevictor390 View Post
                      8 years is a long time
                      Says you Either way I'd never go back, the only ones doing a legit LTE rollout is VZ anyways.
                      ScarFace88 - "So you're a dildo?"

                      Comment


                        #91
                        Originally posted by prizrak View Post
                        Says you Either way I'd never go back, the only ones doing a legit LTE rollout is VZ anyways.
                        Sprint's switcing to LTE with a full rollout in like 2 years iirc.
                        "The way I see it a car enthusiast is somebody who is enthusiastic and interested about the motor car in all its various shapes and forms from supercars to East German 2-strokes made of cardboard. Everyone else is merely a car elitist IMO." ~ Captain 70's

                        Get out of my way! I have photocopiers to sell! ~ Perc

                        "A computer is a Lite-Brite for bad fucking ideas."

                        FinalGear's Dash-Stroking Whore

                        Comment


                          #92
                          Originally posted by rickhamilton620 View Post
                          Sprint's switcing to LTE with a full rollout in like 2 years iirc.
                          Yes, as opposed to VZ which has already rolled in a bunch of markets, NYC being one of them
                          ScarFace88 - "So you're a dildo?"

                          Comment


                            #93
                            Originally posted by salguod View Post
                            In all fairness though, the GPS's phrases are pre recorded and can have the tone of them tweaked to make it sound more realistic, whereas on Siri it has to make the whole sentence it says out of a library of words and try to make it sound natural and try and take into consideration the tone in which it is being said.
                            This is not quite correct.

                            Satnavs use prerecorded snippets which it then plays back one after another, like "Turn right in" "six" "hundred" "meters" "then" "you've arrived at your destination." etc. So far you're correct.

                            What Siri uses is speech synth. It might sound a bit weird and it will probably pronounce some things wrong, but it will be able to speak anything out loud. There's no prerecorded anything, because it would be impossible.
                            2014 Opel Insignia Country Tourer Biturbo CDTI 4x4
                            For once I don't have the same car as everyone else.

                            Comment


                              #94
                              Originally posted by Perc View Post
                              This is not quite correct.

                              Satnavs use prerecorded snippets which it then plays back one after another, like "Turn right in" "six" "hundred" "meters" "then" "you've arrived at your destination." etc. So far you're correct.

                              What Siri uses is speech synth. It might sound a bit weird and it will probably pronounce some things wrong, but it will be able to speak anything out loud. There's no prerecorded anything, because it would be impossible.
                              Totally possible, just record every possible conjugation of every word. Or at least the vast majority. But yes, it's highly unlikely that that's how it works

                              There are pre-determined pronunciations though, there would have to be, English is not a phonetically written language.

                              Comment


                                #95
                                Originally posted by thevictor390 View Post
                                English is not a phonetically written language.
                                It is mostly phonetically written.
                                bogative ?

                                "Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy." - Colin Chapman
                                "If you think about it breast implants aren't much different than braces. Their main purpose is to improve one's appearance, at least that's how it was in my case." - KaJun
                                "So the [suspension's] spring seats fail every 2 years, so what? They cost less than $250 to fix. And if a person can't afford that every two years, than maybe he shouldn't own a car at all." - _HighVoltage_ on Volvos.

                                Comment


                                  #96
                                  Originally posted by argatoga View Post
                                  It is mostly phonetically written.
                                  Mostly, maybe, but a speech system built entirely on phonics would have a lot of trouble. Take a common word from your own sentence - "most." Long O. "Cost" is not pronounced the same way but there's no way to know that just from the letters written.

                                  Comment


                                    #97
                                    Originally posted by Perc View Post
                                    This is not quite correct.

                                    Satnavs use prerecorded snippets which it then plays back one after another, like "Turn right in" "six" "hundred" "meters" "then" "you've arrived at your destination." etc. So far you're correct.

                                    What Siri uses is speech synth. It might sound a bit weird and it will probably pronounce some things wrong, but it will be able to speak anything out loud. There's no prerecorded anything, because it would be impossible.
                                    That is actually what I meant but just said it in a silly way and backwards way. :s

                                    Because Siri is with the speech synth, it doesn't really do voices naturally and the ways in which it can ask things are generally limited compared to the vast way humans can convey language. My lecturer at uni is doing a research project based on (the lack of) emotion, tone etc in synth voices and how it makes users of text-to-speech devices come across as emotionless and it does actually speak lots about this. This is the website about the project he has done which should be able to explain a bit more and better than what I can do: http://imd.dundee.ac.uk/sixspeakingchairs/

                                    Sat Nav voices, even though they are stitched together with different phrases have a lot more control on the tone of the way they are said because they are done in a controlled environment and can be rerecorded if they need to and tested over with all other combinations to see if they work right, so they are seamless and natural.

                                    Comment


                                      #98
                                      Originally posted by prizrak View Post
                                      From all reports you are likely not but you can check here https://buyiphone.apple.com/WebObjec...on/springboard
                                      I don't know enough information about my bill to use that form, but from what I've heard if your bill is over $99/month then you can upgrade once a year instead once every two years. I'm on a family plan with my iPhone and I bought my 4 on release day, so it's been over a year.

                                      Originally posted by argatoga View Post
                                      If I had an iPhone 4 I wouldn't bother. I'd wait for the 5.
                                      Why? If it's going to be essentially free...
                                      My Cars: 2008 Dodge Viper SRT-10 convertible (summer weekend car), 2001 Ford Mustang GT coupe (winter car & grocery getter)
                                      There is no replacement for displacement.
                                      - Wolfgang Bernhard, then Chief Operating Officer, Chrysler Group talking about the Dodge Viper SRT-10
                                      ... I ask Herb Helbig, vehicle synthesis manager for SRT and a member of the original Team Viper development group since day one, if they'd ever thought of adding traction control. "It comes with two," he says, pointing at my feet. "Learn to use them." Got it.
                                      - Motor Trend on the 2006 Dodge Viper Coupe, November 2005

                                      Comment


                                        #99
                                        Originally posted by Viper007Bond View Post
                                        I don't know enough information about my bill to use that form, but from what I've heard if your bill is over $99/month then you can upgrade once a year instead once every two years. I'm on a family plan with my iPhone and I bought my 4 on release day, so it's been over a year.
                                        You just need your cell# your SS# and your billing Zip Code Ahh OK, I'm on a business plan from my old job
                                        Last edited by prizrak; October 11th, 2011, 1:13 AM.
                                        ScarFace88 - "So you're a dildo?"

                                        Comment


                                          Originally posted by thevictor390 View Post
                                          Mostly, maybe, but a speech system built entirely on phonics would have a lot of trouble. Take a common word from your own sentence - "most." Long O. "Cost" is not pronounced the same way but there's no way to know that just from the letters written.
                                          Still mostly phonetical, we are nowhere near Ancient Egyptian. Though I wish English would separate some of the vowels like Greek (they divide "O" into ? and ?).

                                          Originally posted by Viper007Bond View Post
                                          Why? If it's going to be essentially free...
                                          I think you need to be 18 months in or it is $650.
                                          bogative ?

                                          "Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy." - Colin Chapman
                                          "If you think about it breast implants aren't much different than braces. Their main purpose is to improve one's appearance, at least that's how it was in my case." - KaJun
                                          "So the [suspension's] spring seats fail every 2 years, so what? They cost less than $250 to fix. And if a person can't afford that every two years, than maybe he shouldn't own a car at all." - _HighVoltage_ on Volvos.

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X