Recommandation for a pre-paid sim card in the USA

RdKetchup

Snow Mexican Surender Monkey
DONOR
Car(s)
FoRS, Japanese touring triple
I would like a prepaid sim card during my next trip in the USA.

It needs to be a micro-sim, compatible with a OnePlus 3.

I want primarly data (3G or LTE), but it needs to include a few minutes of talk time as well.

So, what are the best deals.

I run Straight Talk, which offers MVNO service for most of the major GSM and CDMA networks.

It's unlimited call/text/data (throttled speeds after 5Gb/month though). $50 odd a month, IIRC they have micro SIMs now, but I had to cut one down back when I got mine.

It's contract free and you should be able to use any credit card or pre paid card to pay for it.

Last edited:
I run Straight Talk, which offers MVNO service for most of the major GSM and CDMA networks.

It's unlimited call/text/data (throttled speeds after 5Gb/month though). $50 odd a month, IIRC they have micro SIMs now, but I had to cut one down back when I got mine.

It's contract free and you should be able to use any credit card or pre paid card to pay for it.

That sounds very good. Do they have stores, or is it online only?

I am using a FreedomPop sim card. The base plan is 200MB, 200 minutes and 500 messages. And it is free. Like free free. You buy the sim once, but usually you can google a current deal to drop that down from like $10 to like $1 and you usually get a free "premium" month on top. If you want more, $20 gets you 1GB of data and unlimted messages/minutes. For $5 a pop you can step that up one gig at a time to $35 for 4GB. You can downgrade back to the free plan every month. But, read the Cons before jumping at it!

Pros:
- free / cheap
- sim at whichever size you need
- uses both T-Mo and ATT networks for a decent coverage
- oh yeah, have I mentioned that all their plans include international roaming to multiple countries? I'm using it in Germany too.

Cons:
- to keep the sim/number active, you need to use 5MB/month
- this is effectively a DATA ONLY SIM! Yes, calling and texting is VoIP!
- special app required to be installed on your phone (from the play/app store) that acts as your calling app (via changing default app that can remain installed and inactive when not needed)

Other:
- I personally am having trouble changing my plan back from free to a paid one right now, since it claims an issue with my billing information, but it might have an issue with the German credit card, it worked just fine with only paypal last year..!?
- The one time I needed support to get it going last year, phone support was not great, but in the end helpful.

Interesting option, but since work will pay for it, I prefer something without need for special app.

AT&T GoPhone SIM card - $45/mo plus 4.99 fee if you renew monthly. 6gb high speed 4G data, then unlimited 3g. Unlimited calls, text, etc. Available online and pretty much at any retailer, any SIM card size.

I went with StraightTalk, 60$ +tx including the sim card.

Happy so far :)