How to fix up a computer that is really fucked up?

Solberg

Car(s)
Porsche 997 Carrera S & 2012 Ford Raptor!!
My cousins computer is a piece of shit that is in bad shape.

However, he only really needs to use office and internet so it's uber lame spec should be ok.

It is infected with every virus out there and my cousin screwed it up even more by trying to fix it. Now the dvd drive won't read discs.

How can I format it then? Also, he has no drivers at all and some of the parts are no brand items. What can I do ?

Well, you can fix it Office Space style.

or.

The DVD drive should read disks before Windows kicks in. If it doesn't, he needs a new drive, and that's independent of Windows.
I say this because you can just pop an XP cd in and format/reinstall.

Have you considered setting him up with Linux and OpenOffice? It'd solve the virus problem...

Last edited:
Just reload the OS for the software issues. Replace any bad hardware as needed.

Only if anything bad was executed from the hard drive. Still a terrible idea, though, given some alternatives.

Ok, he decided he doesn't want to do a format :dunno::bangin:

Anyway, I downloaded freeware anti virus and spybot. I hope that might help.

Now tough, how can I fix the cd drive? It will burn discs but won't read anything.

If he doesn't want to do a format, he's fucked and will never have a completely functioning computer ever again. Plain and simple.

A lot of malware out today isn't the simple "just run Spybot" or "delete some registry entries" variety from a couple of years ago. We actually just had a computer get infected with some malware at work, and it took two MS-certified Windows technicians (myself being one of them) six hours to finally get it clean... and then it was all back on half an hour later. Wiping clean is increasingly becoming the only option for dealing with this stuff.

This is another reason why I say if he's "just an internet and Office" user, to put Linux on; it's going to save you a lot of headache down the road (again) because a) he won't know how to "fix" things on his own anymore and b) you won't have to deal with all this virus shit ever again.

Last edited:
Easy

Format, re-install xp, install everest, identify all the specs from everest, get all the drivers from the net, install anti-virus, job done.

Last edited:
Ok, he decided he doesn't want to do a format :dunno::bangin:

Anyway, I downloaded freeware anti virus and spybot. I hope that might help.

Now tough, how can I fix the cd drive? It will burn discs but won't read anything.

Well you could transfer his files onto a usb/portable hard drive, scan and disinfect them and then nuke his computer.

Thanks for the tips guys.

I did a format and used everest to identify the hardware. After about 5 bloody hours i found all the drivers and everything is working well now apart from two things.

1. I am trying to install ICQ but I get this message:

this application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect

I tried to uninstall and install different versions but I keep getting the same message.

2. They got a new printer - HP DeskJet D2563 - and I installed all the drivers and even the HP software. It printed the alignment page, but it won't print anything else. No matter what I try to print, be it a office doc, a image, a internet web site, it just loads the paper but won't print anything at all. It won't even print the HP test page. We even replaced the printer but the new one is still having the exact same problem. What on earth can be done to solve it?

+ rep to whoever can help me out ;-)

I still use ICQ. Nobody else does, though.

I think Pidgin supports ICQ, and I know Trillian does.

I think he would rather use the regular ICQ, also, what could be the problem with the printer?

Can windows pick up the printer driver on it's own? If so, try run the printer with the generic windows driver and see if you will be able to print.

Last edited:
to prevent their computer from getting as bad again make their account a limited user and create a seperate admin account. give it a long annoying password so they only use it when they really need it, like to install new apps etc...

get better apps or use run as scripts

EVERY app can be made to run as user, its a daily part of my job.