Learning Logic Circuits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning Logic Circuits

I've been tasked with building a simple device that would be called a win picker. Basically it's two switches, the first of which is tripped lights an LED bulb in it's lane. The second switch needs to not light the bulb in it's own lane. Picking the first switch tripped as the winner. The circuit I have created does this, but I lack a way to set a timer to say 15 seconds so the whole thing would reset on it's own. I'm working on that now, but only in the research phase.

Keep in mind I know basically nothing about this, so it's a learning experience for me. I'm not asking anyone to build it for me (I plan to market it in the future), just looking for input.

Anyway, this is what I came up with: https://simulator.io/board/TeoGDWgjPx/1

That's a nice site, never seen that before. Nice design too, although I also don't claim to know very much about this kind of circuit either.

From my limited knowledge I believe capacitors usually get employed for this kind of thing, charging or discharging a set value capacitor to create a time delay. I don't know how this fits into a logic circuit though as I'm thinking in traditional circuits.

Edit: Apparently capacitors don't work in logic circuits. Told you I don't know much either.
    Last edited by Matt2000; August 11th, 2017, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Perhaps I'm trying to make this too complicated and should just design it around existing hardware.

Comment

These days you could probably get a used/cheap/knockoff Arduino or microcontroller and write the code in half the time it would take to work out the logic circuit. With the little I know about the subject I think it would only take a small number of lines of code, basically monitoring the input pins, setting the output if it receives a signal and then waiting 15 seconds to reset. It would probably need to monitor each input independently, but 2 inputs and 2 outputs is easy even on the smallest off-the-shelf boards like the tiny PICO.

Comment

I had considered something like that. Just need it to be bulletproof.

Comment

Do racers carry guns in the car? Some people just take things far too seriously!

"I don't care who does the electing, so long as I get to do the nominating" -Boss Tweed

"No man's life, liberty or happiness are safe while Congress is in session,"- Mark Twain

Comment

Here I went to PLC ladder logic and then realized that's way overkill for what you're looking for.

Wonder if Tim Hunkin who's made weird and odd prop machines has any information about doing something like that... he made a ''mind reader" coin operated thing years ago.
              1993 Ford F-150 Flareside - July 2010 - August 2013
              2004 Ford Mustang - September 2013 - Present
              1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
              2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - Present (it's road legal!)

Originally posted by narf
              Did I mention it burps and farts like a Roman orgy?
              Originally posted by Redliner
              Wankel is better because BRAP
              Originally posted by prizrak
              The difference between a manually shifted auto and a proper manual is about the same as masturbation and sex.

Comment

Originally posted by GRtak View Post
                Do racers carry guns in the car? Some people just take things far too seriously!

Yeah, I'm sure they do. Especially the no prep guys I have the idea to sell to...
                Originally posted by 93Flareside View Post
                Here I went to PLC ladder logic and then realized that's way overkill for what you're looking for.

Wonder if Tim Hunkin who's made weird and odd prop machines has any information about doing something like that... he made a ''mind reader" coin operated thing years ago.
                I'd like to make it look complicated enough that they won't try to fix it themselves if something goes wrong. Like leaving it plugged in when a thunderstorm rolls through.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigB View Post
                  I'd like to make it look complicated enough that they won't try to fix it themselves if something goes wrong. Like leaving it plugged in when a thunderstorm rolls through.
                  It's possible to do it with transistors, capacitors and resistors but I suspect that's basic enough that they would try to fix it. If you get something like a cheap Arduino you can have spares ready to program and swap straight out and it's all self-contained so there's nothing to 'fix'.

Comment

What you need is a cam timer.
                    1993 Ford F-150 Flareside - July 2010 - August 2013
                    2004 Ford Mustang - September 2013 - Present
                    1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
                    2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - Present (it's road legal!)

Originally posted by narf
                    Did I mention it burps and farts like a Roman orgy?
                    Originally posted by Redliner
                    Wankel is better because BRAP
                    Originally posted by prizrak
                    The difference between a manually shifted auto and a proper manual is about the same as masturbation and sex.

Comment

This site is really neat! I just with they had lesson style tutorials ontop of examples.

1997 Audi A6 Avant 2.8 quattro - 12/2006-04/2007 - Totaled
                      2005 Audi TT 1.8T quattro - 07/2012-11/2012 - Traded
                      2013 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 - 11/2012-
                      1992 Mazda Miata 1.6 - 03/2013-07/2017 - Sold
                      1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 - 12/2014-

Twitter/Instagram: @SeenOnWoodward

Comment

I just did a little research and trial and error to get what I wanted.

Comment

Working...
                        X