Fifth Gear to air in US on Velocity in October

WHAT?!?!

Is it the new season that is premiering this autumn? Did it say when exactly in October?

Can not wait
:shock::dance::woot::beer:

Will be interesting to see what the US (Joe Q Public I mean - not us sophisticates on FG) make of Tiff and Co.

Last edited:
Well, Velocity also airs Wheeler Dealers, and as far as I know its popular among the general public.

I feel like people who actually watch Velocity are much like us, as in generally interested in cars and do not need explosions to hold their interest. With shows like Mecum Auto Auctions and Motorweek, the channel is more educational than entertainment-based. Even Inside West Coast Customs is a great show, its the opposite of how WCC was portrayed on Pimp My Ride.

Is it the new season that is premiering this autumn? Did it say when exactly in October?

Yes, it is the new season with the 60min format. Right now, it just says coming in October. I saw the 30 second dedicated commercial for the first time last night. Clips of Tiff in an SLS Roadster also appear in Velocity's minute-long commercial that has been airing for the past week, which promotes the channel's new Fall lineup.

They show Wheeler Dealers! And it's popular, I am amazed.

I love it when you get under the 'motah' with Ed and fix stuff like the steering rack joints etc. ? It just makes me happy, I do not know why at all.

Last edited:
Yes, it is the new season with the 60min format. Right now, it just says coming in October. I saw the 30 second dedicated commercial for the first time last night. Clips of Tiff in an SLS Roadster also appear in Velocity's minute-long commercial that has been airing for the past week, which promotes the channel's new Fall lineup.

Sweeeeeeeeeet!

They show Wheeler Dealers! And it's popular, I am amazed.

I love it when you get under the moth with Ed and fix stuff like the steering rack joints etc. ? It just makes me happy, I do not know why at all.

Yeah they've been showing it for years now, originally with no commercials! The show is great because they take the time to show you, for the most part, how to do what needs to be done. There is no loud music or stupid graphics to get in the way.

For a while they were showing Auto Trader as well. Not as good as Wheeler Dealers but worth watching nonetheless.

Velocity is only broadcasted in HD... it's Discovery's rebranded "HD Theater" channel.

True, but remember they still show Wheeler Dealers episodes from way back that are not in HD.

Also, I feel its safe to assume that since Fifth Gear is technically a brand new show for Americans, and it becomes a hit, it will not be in danger of being cancelled again any time soon.

I wonder if they will Americanise it, you know hood instead of bonnet, trunk instead of boot etc. And will they do North American only cars, and still do European only cars? Interesting. I hope that it is a big success.

I wonder if they will Americanise it, you know hood instead of bonnet, trunk instead of boot etc. And will they do North American only cars, and still do European only cars? Interesting. I hope that it is a big success.

It's going to be the same episodes as broadcast in the UK, not a special version for us.

Oh OK, I wonder if the US man in the armchair will understand all the UK type car talk. As I said I do hope that it is a success, hell if Wheeler Dealers made it why not?

Oh OK, I wonder if the US man in the armchair will understand all the UK type car talk. As I said I do hope that it is a success, hell if Wheeler Dealers made it why not?

You have to understand what the Velocity channel is. "US man in the armchair" does not watch Velocity, he watches Speed channel. Velocity carries shows for people who are sincerely interested in cars. Hell, once a month they cover 3 straight days live of a classic-car auction and manage to get good ratings.

I hate to put it like this, but in the end, I think Velocity is for the "more educated" individual.

Saw the promos on it. Very cool. Velocity used to be a good channel. It was better when it was HD Theater. They had the Isle of Man races, good documentaries (GT Racer was fantastic). Now its the same crap over and over. With the exception of Chasing Classic Cars and Wheeler Dealers (the old episodes that they are running as a new season are NOT 720p. Its SD but shot in widescreen until they finally went HD last year or whenever it was) and a few other shows every now and then (Twist the Throttle, the doc about MV Agusta) Velocity has basically devolved into dipshit muscle car shows. 10 hour marathons of those idiots over at Mecum Auto Auction (I'd much rather watch Gooding and Co or RM like they have in CCC) and that asshole from Westcoast Customs. Hate him and his show and everything he represents. They're even airing reruns of that awful American Hot Rod show. FFS.

There are a number of channels which show that low brow crap like History channel, Speed, Discovery, Spike TV. HD Theater was smarter, classier. Now its been devolved into simple minded crap to cater to the "bro" crowd.

Yeah it seems Im touchy on it but I pay $10 on top of my dish bill just to get the damn channel because when I first saw it on preview for a week last year it was fantastic. Seriously considering just dropping that package and downloading CCC instead. I used to love Discovery Channel, then they started with all the chopper and hot rod bullshit so I lost interest. Then History Channel went full retard with the Ancient Picker Ice Road Pawn Aliens crap. There is still some hope for NatGeo but that channel to is starting to slowly slip into the crap History Channel has become. And predictably HD Theater now Velocity has basically become shit. No, Velocity is NOT for the "more educated". Not any more. Its become a channel for the same idiots who watch Barrett Jackson on Speed, American Chopper on Discovery, and Ancient Aliens on History. Thats why its getting good ratings, because it has to dumb itself down to appeal to more ppl. The programming on HD Theater months before the change over to Velocity was far far superior.

Glad to see FG come to American audiences and hope its good though.

Last edited:
Velocity airs Motorweek, and it manages to do well.

nuff said

Um, ok. And?...

Point is, my rant was because Velocity isnt for the "more educated" viewer like you said anymore. Its gradually devolving into the crap that Speed, History and Discovery have become. All Im saying is its a matter of time before Velocity starts doing back to back reruns of American Chopper. And I find sadness in that since I thought HD Theater filled a void with unique programming that set it apart from other channels. Unless of course your a mouthbreather that enjoys American Chopper and Monster Garage. But I suspect a lot of those who like FG/TG arent.