[09x05] May 8th, 2006

Kebab gud said:
face it .. the Fox is the most bland car in the world..
looks like a korean car from the 80s
what does the kia look like then? :?

a korean car from the mid 90s

Face it .. VW vent from this
V_VWlupo.jpg

To this
gallery_preview.Par.0001.Image.jpg

VUK said:
thEam said:
That car collector bloke was the exact opposite of the guy they had on TG once, the one who drove his MC12 some hundred miles to the racing track and back.

I just don't get car collectors who "enjoy looking" at their supercars. How can you buy a Carrera GT and never drive it? It just seems wrong...

i think that was in FG

You're right, of course :) It was in 7x05, but I stand by my point, Supercars should be driven, not stacked up in a garage...

Supercar is a product like any other.
If you own it fully, you can do what ever to it within the coutry's laws.

Maybe Tiff was having a go at Clarkson, with his "real" GT costing twice as much and breaking down all the time, whereas this "replica" just as fast, half the price and looked to be pretty reliable!!

Good ep, like I said at the beginning of this series, if they stick to what they how to do well and not trying to take TG head-on, then they are on to a winner!

Strangley missed the other guy doing the crash-tests and petrol stuff (must be getting middle-aged!)

Hi,

it's the first time i'm posting here, but i'm no stranger to finalgear.com (nor to the previous site in wich finalgear.com is a offspring of)...

I'm hailing from Brazil, wich (i'm ashamed to say) is the craddle of that horrible Volkswagen Fox... it was designed and first built here (awwww, i'm embarassed :cry: )...

The Fox is the most bland and mediocre car i've ever seen or drove... I can't believe VW built it, let alone released it outside Brazil..
For your amusement, can you guys believe that the first lot of VW Fox had a critical transmission problem that didn't let them go uphill in reverse? Yeah, park your Fox downhill behind another car and you have to call a towtruck to take it off... :shock:

Anyway, it seems that VW have done the impossible.. made the Fox worse before releasing in Europe... WTF is up with 3 cylinders?!? We don't have this here! We are used to foreing cars being better than ours, not worse! :mrgreen:
At least the brazilian Fox have 4 cylinders 1.6L engine with 103cv (I know, not that amazing...)

Now, if you thing the VW Fox is bad.. wait what VW have for you guys later... VW just released a station wagon fox in here, wich they call "Spacefox" (I'm burying myself in shame here!)..
Take a look:

01_g.jpg

03_g.jpg

Wonderful, huh? :?
Can you notice the Passat Estate taillight? :D

Well... now.. the episode...
OMG I loved the GT40 replica!!!!!!

Erm.. that's all..
Cya! :D

Tiff in the GT40 replica was awesome (but I expected that) - the Z06 review is going to be special.

Apart from that the rest of the show was a bit quiet for me - still enjoyable, but nothing special.

Loved the last two lines in the rip:
Jason: "...don't let popstars drive Ferraris"
Voiceover guy in credits: "Wise words I think there"

IMHO, 4 out of 5 in the suckiness range.

Even if I consider boring the coverage of mostly supercars-hyperexpensive-one-off concepts, and feel someway refreshing talking about "normal"-down to earth cars, the one and only highlight was Tiff driving th GT40.

Previous episodes were way better; just hope next week will be more appealing.

I'd like to see more (i.e.) Tiff-Vicki-Jason triple shootouts of any kind on the track.

thEam said:
I just don't get car collectors who "enjoy looking" at their supercars. How can you buy a Carrera GT and never drive it? It just seems wrong...

There are people that have so much money that they don't know where to spend it. If I was the same, I would prefer making a supercar collection to spending my money on antiques and stupendously priced jewellery or $50,000 dog tags and $100,000 waterfall in my house. What would you say?

Prophet Of Noise said:
thEam said:

There are people that have so much money that they don't know where to spend it. If I was the same, I would prefer making a supercar collection to spending my money on antiques and stupendously priced jewellery or $50,000 dog tags and $100,000 waterfall in my house. What would you say?

Well, yes, you're absolutely right. But wouldn't you _use_ those cars on the street/track instead of piling them up in your garage?

That guy said it was just so nice to "come home after a hard day a just look at those beauties"... I'm not saying that supercars aren't nice to look at, most of them sure are, but that, IMHO, is just a tiny bit of their charme. If I had a Carrera GT, I would keep it running all the time, just because it sounds so glorious. And that guy never even bothered to take a spin in it!

He said it himself ... he's a workhaolic, and successful. When you work 14h a day, 6 days a week, free time is just a philosophical concept.

Maybe we should teach him how to spare himself some driving time, just for the sake of taming such beauties, shouldn't we ?..

Anyway, it's own choice what to do with a car: just drive it, thrash it, contemplate ...

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Hm I thought this was probably one of the better episodes of Fifth Gear this season. But too bad the video recording wasn't as good as before?!

Am I the only one who found interesting that a low-volume (near)exact replica of the GT40 costs half as much as the mass (kind of) produced version?
Even more interesting is that the cheaper car is produced by the smaller company, and not the other way around, as usual...Anyway, price aside, I think I would choose the replica.
Oh, and :welcome: hellsoul! Another brazilian!

hellsoul said:
Hi,

it's the first time i'm posting here, but i'm no stranger to finalgear.com (nor to the previous site in wich finalgear.com is a offspring of)...

I'm hailing from Brazil, wich (i'm ashamed to say) is the craddle of that horrible Volkswagen Fox... it was designed and first built here (awwww, i'm embarassed :cry: )...

The Fox is the most bland and mediocre car i've ever seen or drove... I can't believe VW built it, let alone released it outside Brazil..
For your amusement, can you guys believe that the first lot of VW Fox had a critical transmission problem that didn't let them go uphill in reverse? Yeah, park your Fox downhill behind another car and you have to call a towtruck to take it off... :shock:

Anyway, it seems that VW have done the impossible.. made the Fox worse before releasing in Europe... WTF is up with 3 cylinders?!? We don't have this here! We are used to foreing cars being better than ours, not worse! :mrgreen:
At least the brazilian Fox have 4 cylinders 1.6L engine with 103cv (I know, not that amazing...)

Now, if you thing the VW Fox is bad.. wait what VW have for you guys later... VW just released a station wagon fox in here, wich they call "Spacefox" (I'm burying myself in shame here!)..
Take a look:

01_g.jpg

03_g.jpg

Wonderful, huh? :?
Can you notice the Passat Estate taillight? :D

Well... now.. the episode...
OMG I loved the GT40 replica!!!!!!

Erm.. that's all..
Cya! :D

It just got worse! They've started selling the "crossfox" (well, if I was a fox, I'd be seriously pissed-off as well!)

Looks like this
cross_img_grand03.jpg

[/img]http://www.volkswagen.com.mx/CWE/imagenes/publicidadvw/cross_img_grand01.jpg[/img]

I just noticed how little attention this episode is getting after Top Gear just debuted. :lol:

This episode was decent but it was probably the worst of the series so far. I don't see the point of thrashing 60 HP cars around a circuit. :thumbsdown:

The autobahn segment was awesome but I initially thought Jason was going to derestrict the Audi's engine and go way past 155 MPH. The car collector is insane. Why 2 Koenigseggs? For such an extraordinary collection you'd think he'd be living in a mansion.

Redliner said:
Oh, and :welcome: hellsoul! Another brazilian!

Hello Redliner! Thanks!

Well, about the Crossfox.. OH MY GOD!!!
We have it here too, but I didn't think VW would do this to the rest of the world! lol! :D

I was really frustrated on when the guy said, I have never drive it yet??. I mean he really got on my nerves, u have a Carrera GT in ur garage and u never drove it WTF !!!!? :x What's the point of stacking some super cars in the garage I bet these cars a screaming to be driven as hell??. I just wish he could give me the Carrera just to worm it for him every day??.. do u guys think I should mail the guy to give me one of these cars??? worth a shot eah!!! :D

^ he says he has no time. he also said that he's put some track time on the CLK-DTM AMG, so he does drive his cars