[10x12] December 11th, 2006

The scene rip was really fast... :tease:
Tom's segement seems good.

It was only OK - Tom's bit as good as usual. I'd like a S3 please, they seem to be understated yet smart, well built and quick.

Last edited:
The CR-V and the S3 segment was good, the rest were pretty boring. Does anyone know why TIff recommand over inflating the tires 4-5 psi for a trackday? I've never went to a trackday before, so just curious.

I'm assuming because you make harder turns, putting more pressure on the outside wheels, and the added air helps suppors the car, and help the tire keep it's shape, prolonging it's life...

I think Tim is really coming around nicely as a presenter. Now if they could can Lovejoy, then it would be great.

Yeah Tim is definately improving too. I wonder why my first reaction is to hate every new presenter... (probably not a good sign)

This week's ep wasn't mind blowing, but I think Fifth Gear is getting more balance.

Does anyone know why TIff recommand over inflating the tires 4-5 psi for a trackday? I've never went to a trackday before, so just curious.
Makes the car more responsive and keeps the tires from overheating.

The CR-V and the S3 segment was good, the rest were pretty boring. Does anyone know why TIff recommand over inflating the tires 4-5 psi for a trackday? I've never went to a trackday before, so just curious.

on cars with stock(ish) alignment it helps to keep from rolling the edges over too much, and therefor more traction, also because it stiffens the tire you get better response

the flip-side is that what you really want is enough camber and tire pressure(not too much though, too high of a tire pressure can reduce surface area/grip) so that the whole of the tire is evenly heated, this can best be tested with something like a infrared thermometer

the most hassle free way to figure out what tire pressure you should run is to chalk along the sidewall, you should shoot so the tire wears out the chalk right up to the wear line( seperating the tread from the sidewall, all tires should have one)

i havnt watched the episode yet, but going from "this made me suicidal" to "it was a bit boring" is a improvement :) !!

i think they should send all the presenters who aren't journalists to a journalism school, so they can be better at writing and therefor presenting

I was actaully laughing for most of lovejoys segment i thought it was great. and there was no stupid wreck my ride or they tried to sell me that segment. I really didnt have any complaints about this one, well done fifth gear.

WTF happened?!?! I mean, I actually liked Tim's segment! :eek:

on cars with stock(ish) alignment it helps to keep from rolling the edges over too much, and therefor more traction, also because it stiffens the tire you get better response

the flip-side is that what you really want is enough camber and tire pressure(not too much though, too high of a tire pressure can reduce surface area/grip) so that the whole of the tire is evenly heated, this can best be tested with something like a infrared thermometer

the most hassle free way to figure out what tire pressure you should run is to chalk along the sidewall, you should shoot so the tire wears out the chalk right up to the wear line( seperating the tread from the sidewall, all tires should have one)

i havnt watched the episode yet, but going from "this made me suicidal" to "it was a bit boring" is a improvement :) !!

i think they should send all the presenters who aren't journalists to a journalism school, so they can be better at writing and therefor presenting

Cool, thanks for the info. 8)

Aren't Tim and Lovejoy the same? I thought it was pretty boring... all the bits were boring. Jon Bentley's was so obvious... Tiff's really had no interesting points to make... the CR-V is essentially a boring car as well.

Surprisingly the gift section of it wasn't bad... and Vicki looked pretty cute in it. But what were the gifts? They weren't really automotive related except for the guitar. This isn't Oprah, why are they recommending espresso makers?

You are way too polite. This episode was below average, even on 5th Gear standards. Tom Ford's segment was as dull as the car and I don't give damn about some idiot boxer.
I liked Bentley's segment actually. I knew Phaeton will lose it's value fast but damn not that fast! That W16 has over 400 BHP.

wasnt a bad ep

lovescock wasnt bad actually this week, though i was dying to see the baby haymaker spark him out. he so wasnt ready for that shot either and he had to give the pad to guy from *cough*the best university evar!*cough* Loughborough Uni.

Russ Swift is THE MAN. PERIOD.

johnny's bit was naff apart from the car's they showed....clutch smoke from the 360 FOR THE EXPENSIVE WIN!

didnt pay much attention to toms segment to be honest, it was a tad boring.

Tiff's segment didnt have enough of him driving and i felt his tips/explanations were lacking, but at the same time you have to remember his time limits and he doesnt want to compleletly baffle viewers with little car knowledge.

and WTF to the FG idol.... there was one guy who at first i thought he'd used "microsoft mike" to do the voice over, but i think as his review wore on it was actually HIS voice!

the Audi coupe man was boring as hell, and WTH is up with that one guy doing a review in the bloody dark?

LOL'd at the scottish bloke though, showing us his ST focus only to have a DB9 out show him haha

viki's segment? cak....even a renault 5 would of withstood that abuse. my friends ragged a non-road worthy one round his field, and even off the table top he built with his neigbors JCB, wheels came off, so did doors and windows....but it still worked.

she didnt try hard enough IMO.

You are way too polite. This episode was below average, even on 5th Gear standards. Tom Ford's segment was as dull as the car and I don't give damn about some idiot boxer.
I liked Bentley's segment actually. I knew Phaeton will lose it's value fast but damn not that fast! That W16 has over 400 BHP.

W12 mate

same engine as in the bentley continental GT only not as powerful, think its got 444bhp actually so definately fast. but at 6 liters? even if the car is teh cheap your gonna need a good bank balance to run it.

i have only seen one pheaton too, its a handsome brute, shame no one is buying.

pretty good to see the 300C there, ok its cabin quality and overall quality wont quite be up to par with the likes of Audi, BM, Merc etc, but its a damn good looking car. i love the chop-top style windows that are short and wide. (tho it is essentially the last gen e-class chassis)

lol at the vectra..... 25k to 10k in a year hahahahah POS