[21x03] September 17th, 2012

[21x03] September 17th, 2012

• Total voters
vicky: "I get first TV drive with a supercar that...."
How did she the first drive on tv with Fisker, because James May was first: S18E04

soooooo am I the only one who caught vickies frankly ignorant statement about the fisker karma?? if i remember correctly it really isnt the first "T.V. drive" of the -in my opinion- ugliest most disgraceful car to ever be branded 'sport luxury'... just sayin'

Yet another very good episode!

I don't know if there were changes in production staff or if Discovery are simply allowing the team more freedom to do what they want without having to do competitions and celeb features, but this latest iteration of Fifth Gear seems to be the show it always should have been.

I've read somewhere that in this episode it was suposed to be featured a caterham vs ariel atom race but in my file nothing like that happened, it was the same with you guys? And by the way have you guys noticed any delay in the audio/video of the show? For me it seems its not synched properly.

i am throughly enjoying this new iteration of fifth gear... good job ... i dont even care that Top Gear UK took the entire 2012 off.. who needs them now with this improved Fifth gear and the US Top Gear ...

The whole part about the electronic stability control comparisons was false. Every time they drove a car with the electronics off, they drove like an inexperienced, incompetent driver. Granted, the average driver doesn't know how to handle a car and needs either better driving instruction or electronics to drive the car for them in the case of an emergency.

When Tiff was driving the Vauxhall with the ESP disabled, he turned the wheel to the right and held it there. Of course, the car turned to the right in a controllable drift. If he turned into the drift, as anyone experienced enough to safely operate a motor vehicle would do, the car wouldn't even have spun out.

Then at the end, they drive a Toyota with a roll cage in it. The first run at speed, the driver gives it a Scandinavian Flick by turning to the left then quickly to the right, throwing the car into a drift that took it off into the grass. This proved that drifting a small car at 70 mph is a bad idea, not that ESC is needed in all cars. In the second run at highway speeds, the "professional stunt driver" turns right then left, causing the rear of the car to slide out. Anticipating this, a good driver would counter-steer to catch the slide before it happens (I know how to; I've done it before).

Instead of mandating that every car sold has electronics that drive the car for you, why not teach people how to drive the car themselves. What happens when the new generation of drivers that don't know how to recover a skid drives an old car that doesn't have these electronics? Or worse, what happens when the electronics fail?

Re: [21x03] September 17th, 2012

Instead of mandating that every car sold has electronics that drive the car for you, why not teach people how to drive the car themselves. What happens when the new generation of drivers that don't know how to recover a skid drives an old car that doesn't have these electronics? Or worse, what happens when the electronics fail?

The thing is, not all the people who would avoid accidents due to ESC are young. 15 passenger van rollovers dropped substantially after ESC was made standard by Ford and GM (Dodge Sprinter came with ESC standard) and these vehicles are generally driven by middle aged and higher persons. These vehicles tend to have the not so good combo of inexperienced drivers (due to only being driven long distances/on the highway occasionally...ex: churches, colleges), a high center of gravity, and odd weight distribution due to the seating configuration.

Is proper driver's education important? of course.

IIRC, the state of NJ makes it far more attractive for parents/teens to pay for private professional instruction than learning on their own...perhaps this is a route that many other states could consider?

My 1st car didn't have ABS nor stability control and while it lasted fine w/out incident, there were some hair raising moments: A panic stop where all four wheels locked up and almost tapping a car's bumper in a uni parking lot due to it being covered in ice comes to mind.

I like to think of stability control as a added layer of protection that starts with defensive driving, etc.

Good ep. Really enjoyed the team test, Jonny's GPS segment, and Vicki in Monaco.

Yet another very good episode!

I don't know if there were changes in production staff or if Discovery are simply allowing the team more freedom to do what they want without having to do competitions and celeb features, but this latest iteration of Fifth Gear seems to be the show it always should have been.

Agree totally.. it would appear they have the correct support and team behind them.

I admit to yelling at the screen when Tiff said that the 1978 Mercedes S-class was the first car with anti-lock brakes; and I did a :confused: when Vicki said she was doing the first TV drive in the Fisker Karma.

All in all though, a pretty good episode.