Clarkson's Sunday Times Columns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Nice View Post
    So how many sex scenes are there going to be in The Grand Tour?
    I just want to add that in addition to Clarkson, I do not want to see May or Hammond naked either.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
      I don't agree with the 'this inspires idiots to hop on an airplane to syria' bit.

I know Jeremy is smarter than believing videogames cause violence, let alone terrorism....
      As a general term no. But he does have a point.
      Some types of computer games can definitely influence or inspire certain type of individuals to do hideous real life things.
      As can some types of television programs or movies.

As an example, there has been several ordinary europeans converting to Islam after watching Islamic propaganda on Youtube or other video sites, and after that became involved in planning and executing acts of terror.
      Of course, it takes a certain type of psyche/personality to be influenced to that extent, but nevertheless, those people are out there.
      "Clarkson! I know it's you, you insufferable oaf. I'm on the bloody Throne!" - James May
      "Spam is a high quality meat product" - James May
      "Is that bagpipes, or is it the sound of someone deflating a cat?" - Jeremy Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Nice View Post
        So how many sex scenes are there going to be in The Grand Tour?

<Ice> Oh, you're the kiddy anime guy.
        "The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were."
        John F. Kennedy

Comment

More Euro-controversy this week:

At last, a folly to love from the EU do-goodersDaily Mail
          If Jeremy goes through with the replica spitfire, he could use the Airfix model James May built for Toy Stories...

Comment

Originally posted by Labcoatguy View Post
            Most children have already seen breasts at a very young age. In fact one might even say that's what they're meant for.
            IN Russia they definitely see them :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUjP2r6bi_Q

Comment

What happened to Clarkson's column in the Sun? The link on the first page says page not found.

Comment

Originally posted by MATopGearFan View Post
                What happened to Clarkson's column in the Sun? The link on the first page says page not found.
                The Sun redesigned their site, you have to look for it in the News/Opinion section https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/opinion/

This is Jeremy's column from 10th June 2016

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/126505...orbyn-in-no10/
                Last edited by RedMoon; June 17th, 2016, 1:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RedMoon View Post
                  The Sun redesigned their site, you have to look for it in the News/Opinion section https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/opinion/

This is Jeremy's column from 10th June 2016

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/126505...orbyn-in-no10/
                  Thanks for the link!

Comment

This week's column will please lovers of Tweety, but not Sylvester:

Come quietly, Tiddles, or it's jail for your owner (June 19)

When I was growing up among the dark and satanic slag heaps of northern England, I well remember watching big flocks of golden plovers hopping about in the spoil, looking for tasty morsels. And in the family garden we would regularly see bullfinches and blue tits and chummy little wrens playing tag with the sparrows.

One day, at dusk, a truly gigantic swarm of starlings arrived and spent a few moments painting extraordinary kaleidoscopic shapes in a sky that had been dyed a fabulous mix of purple and orange by the setting sun and the emissions from the mines and the power stations. You can forget herds of wildebeest and the Grand Canyon. That was, and remains, one of the most spectacular things I've ever seen.

At school I drew pictures of terns in my exercise books and I wrote projects on ospreys and peregrine falcons. I loved birds and I still do, even though I can't remember the last time I actually saw one.

These days I have a farm in the high, rolling hills of the Cotswolds. And sometimes I take a bottle of wine with me and sit at the highest point, on the still sharply defined earth banks of a Neolithic fort, thinking about, oh, just stuff.

It always makes me sad, though, because the only birds I see are the pheasants and partridges I reared and then failed to shoot last winter. Once, I saw a small flock of yellowhammers darting around in a hedgerow, and sometimes a gang of fieldfares will arrive in a tree to ravage it. But mostly the skies are as empty as they are on Mars.

I've planted acre upon acre of game crop and I've erected owl boxes and I've created wild, untended motorways for the insects and the voles to use. Because if you get the insects and the voles, you get the birds. Except you don't. Not any more. The fact is that in 1966 there were 210m birds in the UK and now there are fewer than 166m. That's a fall, in just 50 years, of 44m. And that's huge.

Sometimes the RSPB raises this point, but then, because it has been hijacked by lunatics and communists, it always comes to a shoulder-saggingly political conclusion, blaming the empty skies on the motorcar, and people who eat meat, and fertiliser, and Margaret Thatcher.

Last week, however, we learnt the awful truth. The extinction-level event that has reduced the dawn chorus to nothing more than a moment of quiet reflection is actually the domestic cat. Yup, your precious moggy has wreaked more havoc on the world's wildlife than the Exxon Valdez and the Torrey Canyon put together.

Let me give you some numbers. In America the number of birds killed by cats every year is--sit down for this--3.7bn. In the UK it's 55m. And that's just birds. They also murder--and there's no other word for it--220m small creatures such as shrews and voles. Ever wondered why you never see hedgehogs any more? Well, for an answer, stare into the slitty, unblinking puddles of evil that masquerade as a cat's eyes.

I appreciate there are people who like their cats but I have no idea why. They spend 80% of the day asleep and the other 20% ignoring you. Occasionally one will leap onto the kitchen table and raise its tail so you can see its anus, and then, after you've given it some extremely expensive food, it will go outside to kill whatever it can get its claws on. For fun. Tom and Jerry wasn't a cartoon. It was a documentary.

Make absolutely no mistake about this. If you were 6in tall, your cat would amuse itself by tearing you to pieces, instead of doing what it does now; which is sit around, waiting for you to die of loneliness.

This is what cat owners must understand. That they are feeding and housing an animal that kills for a laugh. Which means they are giving house room to a psychopath. "Oh, but he's so clean and he always disposes of his poos so thoughtfully," says Marjorie in her moggy's defence.

Yes, Marjorie, but Fred West also disposed of his poos thoughtfully, and you wouldn't want him living in a basket in the kitchen, would you? Cats also ruin furniture, give me asthma, wake me up in the night by fighting and clog up Instagram. And what do their owners get in return? Nothing. That's what. I asked my colleague James May last week why he has cats and he actually said: "Because they don't care about me." So what's the point, then? He might as well have an ant. Or a stick.

If I were in charge of everything, I'd announce the immediate introduction of a cat amnesty. Owners would be told they had 24 hours to hand their cat in to a police station, and anyone who failed to comply would have to go to prison.

Because we face a simple choice. Cats or birds. And I'm sorry but that's like saying, "Would you like to spend a fortnight in St Tropez this summer or would you rather fall into some farm machinery?" However, it seems there is a third option. According to John Bradshaw, who somehow makes a living by being a cat behaviour expert at Bristol University, it may be possible to breed the murderer traits out of a cat.

He says there are only a dozen or so genes that differ between a domestic cat and the bigger, more jungly and more effective hunter variety, and if these could be studied more carefully, then boffins could rub them out.

Yes, and after they've removed its killer instinct, maybe they could give it paws without vicious claws, and doe eyes, and perhaps a gene that makes it want to put its head out of the window when it's in a car, and fetch sticks and retrieve downed pheasants from the middle of a lake, and bark at burglars and love its owner to death. Because that, surely, would be the perfect pet.
                    Clarkson makes at least one mistake--in order for Tom and Jerry to be a documentary, Tom would have had to successfully kill Jerry and several thousand mice afterward.

Comment

Originally posted by Revelator View Post
                      This week's column will please lovers of Tweety, but not Sylvester:

Clarkson makes at least one mistake--in order for Tom and Jerry to be a documentary, Tom would have had to successfully kill Jerry and several thousand mice afterward.
                      Great writing though, one of the most funny columns I read of him recently, had a really good laugh!

He should actually have referred to the example of Australia, where cats are a real plague, killing millions of wildlife and endangering species. Cats are indeed one of the best hunters on this planet, and as clarkson says, they do it for fun. I like cats but have 3 dogs.

My garden is actually full of birds, I hear them every morning and I see them eat all my red, blue and black berries, to my frustration. We need more cats over here.

Comment

Best article yet. Fellow bird lover, I have two cats that stay INDOORS or go in their outside pen. Never ever allowed to roam freely. They don't care as long as they get fed and are allowed to ignore you except when they flash their pink starfish at you whilst you're eating your dinner.

Comment

I wholeheartedly agree with Clarkson about cats. They are evil little creatures that make their owners' homes smell of urine and feces, kill a plethora of creatures, and cause humans to have toxoplasmoids in their brains, which causes these people to engage in behavior that can only be described as crazy and stupid.

The following will help you to understand more about toxoplasmosis:

Cats, Toxoplasmosis & Serious Mental Illness
                          Last edited by Mr. Nice; July 10th, 2016, 10:48 PM.

Comment

wow..

Comment

I'm grateful for these column reposts. We're a couple behind now. Any chance of being brought up to date? Thanks.
                              Unlike many, I do not let the Main Stream Media, the schools or the entertainment industry program me to believe nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by Elijah B. View Post
                                I'm grateful for these column reposts. We're a couple behind now. Any chance of being brought up to date? Thanks.
                                We're not behind: Last week's column was posted last week, and since I usually post on Monday, yesterday's column is below:

I'm going to hell in a handkerchief and no one cares

Comment

Thankyou.
                                  Unlike many, I do not let the Main Stream Media, the schools or the entertainment industry program me to believe nonsense.

Comment

Politics this week:

Our only hope is a second vote and a truly rotten PM

Comment

Truth overload.

Comment

Has the Queen any power to say that the referendum is not binding, and that UK will remain in the EU????

Comment

It's hilarious to see people who didn't agree to the voting outcome to state with certainty why the brexit voters voted as they did, including Jezza. It comes as no surprise that what they think is the reason is of course a terrible one, because it suits their needs. It's called framing and I expected better from him.

Comment

Working...
                                          X