TGT is a fail and here's why

Well, Clarkson and the guys clearly are lost without some boss-man they have to try to sneak stuff past.

Isn't the BBC and their legal team that same thing now? I'm confused.

Nothing I remember fondly about Top Gear had much to do with the restrictions by the BBC (which usually gave the team lots of freedom and money) or the Guardian. So far I've come across one piece of genuinely constructive criticism on this thread, which is that TGT could do more in the countries the tents are placed.
All in all, I'm amused that after half of decade of moaning about how shitty and awful Top Gear was, we're now condemning TGT for not reaching the heights of Top Gear. And yet I bet that in 2020 there will be a thread about how The Grand Tour has declined from the greatness of its first series.

I stopped watching TGT during episode 5. I really found it to be too simple, childish, cartoonish, etc. I also found the characters that the presenters are playing to be bloated caricatures of the roles they've done in the past. Maybe I just got old, I don't know. When a show becomes more irritating than entertaining, I stop watching.

You stopped just before it started to improve.

Agree with all your points!
I also don't understand why they involve meat/dead animals etc all the time? they try to upset vegetarians or something?
After the Morocco episode I don't know if I want to watch it anymore...

About the tent maybe it has something to do with some copyrights issues or something that they try to avoid.

most if its alright except for the american track driver who is pointless .. the stig had more personality saying nothing

Not a fail by any means in my book. In the end, we all like different things, and you certainly can't satisfy everyone all the time. There have been better and worse segments, but there always have been such. I'll be glad to watch just about anything the three guys -- together or individually -- care to broadcast. There is a MASSIVE amount of stuff on television that I wouldn't spend one minute watching, so I appreciate having CHM back in business.

I have a question for you: is TIME the real problem for TGT?

Do they have enough time to film all the material needed to put a great show together or is the timetable so strict, they have to rush it all?

Think about it: 12 episodes and as soon as the season finishes, they have to start filming again...

Last edited:
I have a question for you: is TIME the real problem for TGT?

Do they have enough time to film all the material needed to put a great show together or is the timetable so strict, they have to rush it all?

Think about it: 12 episodes and as soon as the season finishes, they have to start filming again...

It isn't just about time. It's trying to compete against your past.

Think about it: they have to come up with story ideas that are memorable enough to top what's been done in the past (Reliant space shuttle, supercars tour France, best driving road, etc.) And they're hamstrung by (a) the demands of the audience and (b) the fact that they're not as resilient as they used to be and (c) the fact that they're now in charge of measuring their own risk.

And (d) legal restrictions that prevent them from entirely using the old show's format. Nevertheless, TGT is hardly a failure--so far Amazon seems pleased and even the average episode ratings on this board have been good.

It seems that stecube is using "alternative facts" for this topic. :boohoo:

Last edited:
You stopped just before it started to improve.

Based on this comment, I decided to watch some more. I can say that it did get better, although it's still somewhat ridiculous. Celebrity brain crash needs to die the same kind of death that all the celebrities they've "killed" have experienced. I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, and hoping that perhaps it's just taking them awhile longer than I expected for them to find their footing.

The biggest difference between Top Gear and The Grand Tour for me is there hasn't been a single episode of TGT that I've wanted to watch twice. It's all too disposable. Even the last series of Top Gear had episodes I've watched several times - the classic car and leisure lifestyle episode included.

The recent road trip episodes don't seem like they have any point to them. It's like they made them up as they went along. The bigger budget has had a detrimental effect on the substance of the show too. That said, I'll continue to watch it and hopefully it'll improve.