Richard Hammond 'injured in motorbike crash'

I was doing some remote support with a customer and they opened a web browser that went to msn.com and showed a headline of "Grand Tour Star In HORROR CRASH".

I put them on hold for a minute and immediately went online only to see that Hammond himself said he was just fine.

That headline freaked me out for a second though.

New crash.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/richard-hammond-airlifted-hospital-apos-160200603.html

Richard Hammond airlifted to hospital with 'serious' injuries after mountain crash

Richard Hammond, the former star of Top Gear, has been airlifted to hospital with 'serious' injuries after being involved in a car crash in a Swiss mountain race, according to reports.

Swiss media 20 Minuten reported that the 47-year-old Grand Tour co-host has suffered serious injuries after crashing the car on a road that was closed for the Bergrennen Hemberg race.

The extent of the star's injuries remains unconfirmed, but photos from the scene show a wrecked car in flames which were later extinguished by firefighters.

Hammond - who was reportedly in Switzerland filming scenes of Amazon series The Grand Tour alongside Jeremy Clarkson - was seriously injured in a car crash in September 2006.

St Gallen police spokesperson Gian Andrea Rezzoli confirmed Hammond was rushed to hospital by air ambulance.

More to follow.

asAQMc8.jpg

Last edited:
Rimac confirmed. Fractured knee confirmed as well...

vid of crash

[video=youtube;T4sDy-zdV2o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4sDy-zdV2o[/video]​

Could have been a lot worse, of course, but how is a fractured knee not a "serious injury"?

I'm more curious as to why that car crashed and caught fire. You'd think that, being an electric car, there'd be no flammables on board.

Hemberg is just a 35min drive from my homeplace. I was planning to go to the hill climb at Sunday (it's a two day affair). Had no idea the Grand Tour crew was here. There was no info beforehand. Would have gone at Saturday if I had known.

Not so sure anymore about a visit tomorrow. It's gonna be a media craze.

As for the reason for the crash, in the video it looks like a simple enough driving error. Too late on the brakes, and in a switching corner nonetheless.

This car uses LiNiMnCoO2. I wonder how they react compared to Lithium Ion/Polymer or NiCad...

Don't the top batteries look a bit high? Doubt it does anything wonderful for vehicle dynamics.

technology.png

Don't the top batteries look a bit high? Doubt it does anything wonderful for vehicle dynamics.

technology.png

I was thinking the same thing. The car doesn't seem particularly well designed as a sports car. With all the weight that far back and that high up, I'm guessing it was some unexpected weight transfer that did him in.