The Restoration of Oliver!

And now for something completely different.

When my brother was a nipper, he was rather fond of Val Biro's Gumdrop books. I have never forgotten the look on his face one birthday when he was presented with a whole compendium of Gumdrop stories in one book. It was like looking at Pete Doherty after he'd been given a lifetime's supply of crack cocaine.

My immediate thought on seeing the episode originally, which has just been refloated* on this thread: does anyone think Hamster might have considered a similar set of children's stories to further expand his media profile? After all, Gumdrop was (and possibly still is) a real car, albeit rather a lot older. I can see it now: "Travels with Oliver: Out of Africa and Beyond..."

Then we could have the BBC revive Jackanory and have Travels with Oliver narrated... by James May, wearing a tweed jacket and slippers, in a rocking chair, with a whole mound of Werther's Original on the table.

Marvellous. Isn't it? Mmm.

* Reference to "Oliver takes a Bath" in the Okavango Delta unintended.

When my brother was a nipper, he was rather fond of Val Biro's Gumdrop books. I have never forgotten the look on his face one birthday when he was presented with a whole compendium of Gumdrop stories in one book. It was like looking at Pete Doherty after he'd been given a lifetime's supply of crack cocaine.

My immediate thought on seeing the episode originally, which has just been refloated* on this thread: does anyone think Hamster might have considered a similar set of children's stories to further expand his media profile? After all, Gumdrop was (and possibly still is) a real car, albeit rather a lot older. I can see it now: "Travels with Oliver: Out of Africa and Beyond..."

Then we could have the BBC revive Jackanory and have Travels with Oliver narrated... by James May, wearing a tweed jacket and slippers, in a rocking chair, with a whole mound of Werther's Original on the table.

Actually, that would be a brilliant extension of the TG franchise. One modification though. James May, in an armchair, with his trusty Casio keyboard, supplying the soundtrack as he reads along. Sort of a less hyper Bill Bailey.

Wow, totally awesome =)

1.0 litre 40bhp car. NOT very fast :p

Hammond's Oliver, Make her prettier.:)
It's obviously a he being named Oliver. Although i can see some skirts and fringes on him, making him a cross-dresser :D

(yes yes I referred to it as a "he". Hammond got to me :p)

I love Oliver and am very glad Hamster's decided to get him restored. :)

I think it would be a good idea if he was put in a childrens book. I would buy it. :D

That engine is so cute! lolz

Just think though A hot turbo 4 popper, 5-speed tranny, modern suspension and brakes. Make it into a nice little road racer. Then he could learn how to drive it :D

Wow, totally awesome =)

1.0 litre 40bhp car. NOT very fast :p

accully tbh it would probbley go like shit of a shove complared to some of the 1 liter corsa's we have, Because it will weight allmost nothing lol!

I think more children's books about cars should be written. Kids need to foster a love for all things machinery at a young age, before they get assaulted from all sides by their lentil-eating-lesbian teachers!

You don't know then?
Original bugs FLOAT :lol: It would have done much better

I still love oliver, because oliver is lovely in the same reason beetles are anyway. Personality.:mrgreen:

Old beetle is better than old opel for the reason that Oliver is good. And, in that episode, did Hammond have a breakdown at the beginning, when they just left tarmac?

You know, I thought I saw Oliver in the Top Gear Technology Centre during the 1000 pound Alfa Challenge. I went back, and what do you know-

http://img225.imageshack.**/img225/7316/oliverrp7.th.jpg

^ Nice pick up - I completely missed that.
I spotted that when I first watched it!

Apparently it has been moved from the TG workshop to another one to be worked on by the PC team.

Most of him is in good condition with minimal rust, but are lots of dents and they have no (unique to the model) headlamp covers, and the electrics are mostly shot, it also seems the interior was retrimed not so long ago.

Well, Oliver is making an appearance in Hammond's kids show on CBBC so not much of a leap. Dunno what they are doing with him but he's in several of the screen shots I've seen so far.

(and it really should be American Hard Gums for james)