Why Jason Dawe got replaced after the first series?

rambo yao

Car(s)
LACROSSE
I think this fat man is just ok, may be not as funny as the other two guys, but I can feel his anthusiasm to his work, anybody know the reason why this man was replaced by caption slow? Or it just his personal reason?

Wilman and Clarkson always wanted May as the third presenter (he had featured in the last series of the old format of TG) but he was unsure the new format would work so Dawe was drafted in instead.

Once May saw the first series he changed his mind and joined the team so Dawe was surplus to requirements.

Wilman and Clarkson always wanted May as the third presenter (he had featured in the last series of the old format of TG) but he was unsure the new format would work so Dawe was drafted in instead.

Once May saw the first series he changed his mind and joined the team so Dawe was surplus to requirements.

Your reply made me have a renew evaluation if May deserves my respection.

If that's what happened, that's tough for Dawe. Still: The right decision in my mind. That guy just didn't fit in with Clarkson and Hammond - zero chemistry between them IMO.

If that's what happened, that's tough for Dawe. Still: The right decision in my mind. That guy just didn't fit in half the cars he was supposed to test.

FTFY

LOL.. thanks for the fix... of course, err, that's what I actually meant... ;)

Probably because Jason doesn't have a passion for cars and everything automotive like the trio does. If you read his articles, all of them are about pricing and 'smart choice for the money', he admitted to buying and dumping a ~$3000 car every year, instead of purchasing something new or even mildly expensive.

Last edited:
Jason went on to another show to do with used cars and the efficient acquisition of same - still see him do stuff - he is in a two hander with a nice lady who knows her car onions too.

He didn't fit the show (pun intended) at all really, and I doubt the show would still be running if he stayed.

I remember being delighted to hear that may was his replacement, as I had always loved his articles in TG Mag from many years before the show. I still read Jason's used car page in the newspaper now and then.

Last edited:
In his defense, they never really gave him any "cool" segments except for stripping the Jag. He might have warmed up, but the rest is history. I liked the "insider trading" bit, wish they kept it, but such is life.

Even on Used Car Roadshow, I have only seen him drive a car once and that was the R34 on a back road on TG.... always found that odd.

I thought May was not offered the Job till the 2nd series?I always go the impression he was broke before TG.

As far as I know James was asked to apply for the job for the second series, but had to be talked into doing so. He had given up his job on Fith Gear to go to Old Top Gear before, but then was axed after one series. He probably still hold some grudge about that.

The only segment I remember with Jason in it is the old VW Golf test with the green colored VW. Jason wasn't fit for TG.

The only segment I remember with Jason in it is the old VW Golf test with the green colored VW. Jason wasn't fit for TG.

Weirdly that's the only thing I can remember too. Mainly because I thought "What kind of used car guru recommends a snot green car?" :barf:

As far as I know James was asked to apply for the job for the second series, but had to be talked into doing so. He had given up his job on driven to go to Old Top Gear before, but then was axed after one series. He probably still hold some grudge about that.

Fixed. :)

Anyhoo, Jason Dawe: Reason #1-Eleventy Million Why Shellygrrl Has Never Watched a Full Episode of the First Series of Current Top Gear. :nod:

I thought he was let go from driven and in fact it was a magazine Job he had to give up?

OK - weighing in with my two penn'orth. He was dropped from Driven because they wanted a female presenter. He lost his job on "Car" magazine when he joined old Top Gear because TG had a rival magazine and it would have been a conflict of interests. When old Top Gear was axed, he stayed on as a writer for TG magazine

Next version, please....

See, that makes more sense to me.

I tweaked LC's post because she said James left Fifth Gear...which didn't exist until 2002 (the same year TG returned in its current format). So I knew she had to be referring to driven instead.