James May: James May's Toy Stories Special - Flight Club

I quite enjoyed that.

Does anyone know what the music is at about 52:15, when they first spot the glider? Loved it, but I can't quite place it. Thanks.

that would be ludovico einaudi's "divenire".
for reference (the part at 52:15 starts around about 5-5:30 in the video i think):

Then again, the whole episode was ruined for me through the use of the horrid cover of 99 Luftbalons. In English, no less. No, no, no. You do not fuck with Nena. I don't care if she herself sung a version in English. That version should never be played again.

It's a terrible song in any language

Simmy and Dr. Ben, cool, but no Oz? This really needed his kibitzing.

I'm not rapturous over this. It just felt like there was a great deal of padding, for some reason. They had a time slot, and they had to fill it. It just didn't seem to connect like most Toy Stories have (despite the fact that I didn't play with any of those toys as a youth due to geography and interest, and I'm roughly the same age as May).

Then again, the whole episode was ruined for me through the use of the horrid cover of 99 Luftbalons. In English, no less. No, no, no. You do not fuck with Nena. I don't care if she herself sung a version in English. That version should never be played again.

Fuck me, Spie, who took the jam out of your doughnut? Every post you're making these days is bristling with venom and negativity. If there's something you need to share, want advice with or just want to get off your chest can I suggest you head over to NSFW and do just that?

It's a terrible song in any language

Remember, 99 Luftbalons was a song of my college days, with the rose-colored alcohol-and-pot glasses that implies. I will defend it to my death.

Fuck me, Spie, who took the jam out of your doughnut? Every post you're making these days is bristling with venom and negativity. If there's something you need to share, want advice with or just want to get off your chest can I suggest you head over to NSFW and do just that?

No, nothing like that. I just don't like Christmas, or any occasion that requires forced jollity. All I said about Toy Stories was that it felt a little padded and a tad unfocused; compare this special to the model train re-attempt, which was tight and engaging throughout. It just seemed to lack James' full commitment compared to other episodes. Not bad, but not up to Toy Stories standards.

And, let's face it, you've got to admit that what I said about Toy Stories was pretty mild compared to what I said about the Doctor Who special.

Hello. Long time lurker but big, big, big fan of Top Gear (though I do not know how to drive)
Watched Flight Club and was wondering if anyone could tell me the music at 49.10 please.
Many thanks X

it sounds very much like a piece from james newton howard's "blood diamond" soundtrack, but it doesn't quite fit any of the tracks i have of that. at least if you're looking for something similar, give that a try :)
edit: also playing at ~1:57, no idea if more of the song can be heard or identified from that part... man this bugs me, i KNOW i've heard this before! :p

Last edited:
Was a great episode, enjoyed it a lot. Mostly in part to the music they played throughout. Just matched it well and really won it over for me.

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Well shot and put together and I love the way James reacts when it all works out. He's just a little boy again and takes us on the same path. Brilliant. :clap:

A quality bit of James May production. Has an excellent idea, gets a team of nerds to help him put it together and a film crew to record what is basically cocking about and inventing stuff in sheds.

The French FFS! :rolleyes:

Hello. Long time lurker but big, big, big fan of Top Gear (though I do not know how to drive)
Watched Flight Club and was wondering if anyone could tell me the music at 49.10 please.
Many thanks X

Just watched the repeat again, if you switch on the subtitles, the BBC helpfully gives a credit to the artist & song when music is playing, e.g. "The Who" playing "Baba O'Riley".

So if the bit you want is a song, you may be lucky, though sometimes it just says thing like "soaring orchestural music".

I didn't check it out on iPlayer, but I suspect that will be the same.

:smile:

Last edited:
Thoroughly enjoyed it. Well shot and put together and I love the way James reacts when it all works out. He's just a little boy again and takes us on the same path. Brilliant. :clap:

I know. it's one of my favorite parts of his series. :)

I only just watched this special. Beautiful work from James and his team of boffins. Eizbaer, thanks for letting us know what that piece of music is 52 minutes in; the sight and sound together made me a bit teary-eyed.

When does James say 'awesomesauce', though? I didn't catch that!

Last edited: