[12x05] November 30th, 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

SL65

Ambitious but rubbish!
Car(s)
1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5L
Richard Hammond celebrates the 40th birthday of the iconic Ferrari Daytona by taking one back to its spiritual home on the Riviera before attempting to beat James May and a multi-million pound power boat in a race from Portofino to St Tropez. Meanwhile, back in the UK Jeremy Clarkson is out on the test track testing the new BMW M3 saloon against a young pretender from Japan, the Lexus IS-F.

So.. A race between Hammond in a Ferrari and May in a boat? :) Might be pretty interesting.. Seems weird Clarkson wouldn't participate in that :p

M3 vs. IS-F should be good as well :)

this episode looks promising looks like some classic tg stuff

What do you people think Jezza will think of the Lexus? I searched The Times website for his review of it but it seems he hasn't done one yet.

We know he likes vulgar things. And you'd think with that massive bonnet bulge and stacked exhaust pipes he'd love it! But I'm not so sure....

He'd be biased to the Bimmer, and understandably so, but the Lexus has got that wild character to it, similar to a C63. And he loved that! But my prediction is, he will knock the Lexus down on it having no character elsewhere and being boring.

I really wish he'd take these sort of cars on the road and see what they're like to live with, before telling us how they go. One of my favourite reviews was the M5 one....

The M3 has won just about every comparo against the IS-F that I've read, Clarkson will probably agree. If anything, the IS-F is more similar to the C63 AMG. And we know that Clarkson loves the C63 and still says the M3 is better overall. So he'll have to really love the IS-F to put it above the M3.

It'll be interesting to see what Jezza says of the Lexus. eg: D-Motor say IS-F > C63. Drivers Republic say IS-F < C63, M3... Should be a good review!

i sent them and e-mail awhile they are making this season about the m3 and is-f cuz i was about to buy one. i waited for one of the ep to have this test but i bought the is yesterday. i really hope i made the right call

Yay a JC comparison test on the track! Looking forward to that one, hopefully it's better than the STI vs. Evo of last season. The race should be fun. I really like it when Top Gear tests classic cars, and a classic car AND race is all the better!

It would be really interesting how Jezza rates this one. When I first saw it, I thought it had a body like a HSV. I reckon the IS-F is probably the make or break for Lexus.

what will win? boat or posh-ferrari ;)

I think it's good to see a tribute. They haven't done one in a bit (not counting the BL and Alfa challenges) and I always tend to like them. Plus that boat is just pure sex.

Sounds promising. :)

M3 vs. IS-F

Excellent.

Let the bashing begin.

Don't care so much about the Ferrari, but hey, James May's in it!

Isn't he supposed to be testing some supercar on track as well? Wonder which one it is...

M3 vs. IS-F

Excellent.

Let the bashing begin.

Don't care so much about the Ferrari, but hey, James May's in it!

Isn't he supposed to be testing some supercar on track as well? Wonder which one it is...

He will Test the Pagani Zonda F Roadster

It would be really interesting how Jezza rates this one. When I first saw it, I thought it had a body like a HSV. I reckon the IS-F is probably the make or break for Lexus.

How so? Lexus has been #1 in reliability for quite a while now, and it's built by the #1 car company in the world. If 1 presenter who has never liked anything from Lexus how is that going to change anything?

So they will lose the 2 maybe 3 Top Gear viewers that actually have the money to buy one and can't think for themselves? Not exactly going to "break" Lexus. If you expect Top Gear to actually like a Japanese car over a European (even if it is better) than you don't watch enough Top Gear

M3 will win, especially as it is no longer a car for cocks!

Jezza will like the M3 more I think. I love love love the ISF, the first Lexus I love. In Blue Mica in looks f-ing amazing.

Daytona vs Boat should be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.