[12x06] December 7th, 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^ That's fantastic stuff!

After watching his take on boiled eggs, I went and watched some Boris HIGNFY clips again.

(Yes, I do enjoy HIGNFY quite a bit. I see from reading the guest line-ups on the Beeb's press office website that we're sending Jerry Springer over there to host the December 12 edition.

And to keep this TG-related, Jezza is hosting the final installment of the latest series on December 19.)

Hi guys,

I've been watching TG for a while and I've seen a lot of times Jeremy talking about communists. I'm from China and I wonder what's the meaning of 'a car made by the communists'? Cars made in former Soviet Union or China? I mean, I'm not gonna talk about politics, that's off-topic, but just curious.

Thanx. :)

I happen to know... because i was there when they filmed it, that clarksons test of the fiesta is conducted inside the shopping center in basingstoke. theres still tire marks in all the shops they drove thru!!

Hi guys,

I've been watching TG for a while and I've seen a lot of times Jeremy talking about communists. I'm from China and I wonder what's the meaning of 'a car made by the communists'? Cars made in former Soviet Union or China? I mean, I'm not gonna talk about politics, that's off-topic, but just curious.

Thanx. :)

Former Soviet Union

Clarkson is gonna get his rant on with Boris. Man thats gonna be sweet!

Former Soviet Union

I believe that when Jeremy uses this term he is referring to the UK car industry, in the main British Leyland, that spent more than half the working week in strike in the 70's thanks to the efforts of the very left-wing unions and in particular the efforts of one shop steward Derek Robinson aka Red Robbo ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Robbo ). The quality of the cars made by BL during this time (as well as before and after) was similar to Ladas, Wartburgs, Zastava Yugos and Polski Fiats in the former Communist bloc but it's more of a dig at BL than what came from behind the Iron Curtain.

That said we'll find out more when the episode airs. Coincidentally I'm working my way through May on Motors at the moment and read his take on the Volga while in the doctor's waiting room earlier today.

Scratches head and wonders how to type the Twilight Zone music......

Former Soviet Union

I believe that when Jeremy uses this term he is referring to the UK car industry, in the main British Leyland, that spent more than half the working week in strike in the 70's thanks to the efforts of the very left-wing unions and in particular the efforts of one shop steward Derek Robinson aka Red Robbo ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Robbo ). The quality of the cars made by BL during this time (as well as before and after) was similar to Ladas, Wartburgs, Zastava Yugos and Polski Fiats in the former Communist bloc but it's more of a dig at BL than what came from behind the Iron Curtain.

That said we'll find out more when the episode airs. Coincidentally I'm working my way through May on Motors at the moment and read his take on the Volga while in the doctor's waiting room earlier today.

Scratches head and wonders how to type the Twilight Zone music......

Thank you so much! ;)

oh God commie cars, James is gonna go nuts.

Point of information:

JC also uses "Communists" to describe the old Rover workforce - not in this episode it seems though. The Rover workforce thought that it was better to fight the management and have as many disputes as possible from the company and then not to do the job properly rather than help make their company a success. They saw this solely as the job of management. Mind you the management was execrable.

They tended to vote in 'real' communists as the union organisers who had a different motivation - to bring down and destroy capitalism. Some of these people were under orders from Moscow, some were just doing what came naturally.

Am i the only one on here that doesnt want to see some crappy Ford econo car? I mean maybe the segment will be great but it sounds like the parts of fifth gear that ruin it :cry:

I love the econo car reviews!

I do wonder if Boris announced that cut to the congestion charge zone because he knew he was going on Top Gear.

obviously not, but it should mean Clarkson goes a little easier on him.

I do wonder if Boris announced that cut to the congestion charge zone because he knew he was going on Top Gear.

obviously not, but it should mean Clarkson goes a little easier on him.

I just can't help comparing Boris as Mayor of London with Homer Simpson in charge of Springfield's waste disposal..........I'm just waiting for him to get things spectacularly wrong somewhere along the line.

I just can't help comparing Boris as Mayor of London with Homer Simpson in charge of Springfield's waste disposal..........I'm just waiting for him to get things spectacularly wrong somewhere along the line.

But Homer did very well!:D

Jeremy doing a thorough test of a subcompact?!?!

Wouldnt be surprised if it turns into something along the test of the dihatsu materia (however you spell it), but with the importance of the fiesta, I wouldnt be surprised if it is a real test.

Oh, I can't wait for this episode.... BORIS!

I wonder how long it'll be till the bendy buses are mentioned :p

May be slightly OT, but I just can't work out why Londoners have such a big problem with bendy buses...they seem to work in almost every other city...*exactly the right pause*...in the world! Here in Berlin they also live in a happy co-existence with double-deckers since almost 20 years :)

Status
Not open for further replies.