Top Gear In American Again

Apart from the 80s/90s period where they looked rubbish, the Mustang's style has developed to move on with the changing style of American Muscle. Meanwhile, the 'Vette's stuck in the 1990s.

If by "changing style of American Muscle" you mean "outright rehashing of the past with nary a new idea", then I agree :) As much as I like the look of the original, I find the current car to be slavishly derivative of a past hit, worse than the New Beetle.

If by "changing style of American Muscle" you mean "outright rehashing of the past with nary a new idea", then I agree :) As much as I like the look of the original, I find the current car to be slavishly derivative of a past hit, worse than the New Beetle.

Couldn't agree more.

I actually grew to like the 80's fox body styling, I hated the 90's and I know of quite a few who feel "it just doesn't look like a Mustang". Many of them prefer the styling of the latest one only because it looks more "mustang like" than the last 10 years of it, not because it's any progress.

IMO Ford did worse than Porsche with the Mustang styling, because they probably spent quite a bit of money and time on in, at least Porsche hasn't had to dump money into the "retro styling" of it's 911 range :lol:

Couldn't agree more.

I actually grew to like the 80's fox body styling, I hated the 90's and I know of quite a few who feel "it just doesn't look like a Mustang". Many of them prefer the styling of the latest one only because it looks more "mustang like" than the last 10 years of it, not because it's any progress.

IMO Ford did worse than Porsche with the Mustang styling, because they probably spent quite a bit of money and time on in, at least Porsche hasn't had to dump money into the "retro styling" of it's 911 range

How much are you guys going to talk about this? This thread isn't about the Mustang... Most of us already know that it has a solid rear axle, and that Ford tried making an IRS version of the Cobra that upset the drag racers who actually put a solid rear axle back into some of them.

Please don't respond to my post by saying "Mustang sucks" or "I love Mustang, how could you say that". I want to read about the future Top Gear here, not your love or hate of the Mustang!

^ I would pick on the people who started the offtopic discussion, and not the ones who responded to it (even though this whole thing was all of 4 posts in an 8 page thread, so it's not even that big a deal).

Remember, this is mostly an automotive forum, and when people disagree with each other in terms of autos, you will most likely warrant an emotional response, regardless of the thread.

Don't think you're being fair here, but that's just my opinion.

Celebrity is no excuse to bug them when they're not working.

So your only supposed to bug them when they are working?

"Oh Mr Clarkson, your not working right now. Oh ok, when will you be working so I can come back and get an autograph at the right time" :rolleyes:

give me a break.

People get famous + rich and then complain that people ask them for pictures/autographs.

So your only supposed to bug them when they are working?

"Oh Mr Clarkson, your not working right now. Oh ok, when will you be working so I can come back and get an autograph at the right time" :rolleyes:

give me a break.

People get famous + rich and then complain that people ask them for pictures/autographs.

Thats exactly right dino_martini. How dare these people gain fame and fortune from providing us with countless hours of free entertainment and then still expect to be afforded the same rights and civil liberties that the rest of us enjoy?:mad:

We have to put a stop to this right now. Next they'll be wanting to stop nutcases and crackpots from stalking them as well!!!:mad:

:rolleyes:

The pony car is now dead (with some slight post-mortem twiching soon coming from the Camaro and Challenger) and the Mustang is a good platform for modding (younger members would laugh at it and go WRX/Evo or whatnot and say it's a better platform, and the 300hp V8 is behind the curve, there are turbo 4s and NA V6s making that much). The Camaro and Challenger will be slightly more upscale and have IRS; but both of those cars will still be heavy pigs. I can't wait to see the head to head between SRT vs GT500 vs SS.

GT500 will win that hands down.

But "easily outpower and out-handle any corvette", you are just deluding yourself there. First, on the power side, the Mustang has been at a marked disadvantage since they left the 5.0 engine in 1994. The modular 4.6 is tall (one reason the Mustang has to stay tall and chunky), heavy, and unnecessarily complex. If you want to compare power credentials and ease of modification against the LS1 family engines, you will just lose. The LS1 became the modder's engine of choice ten years ago.

As for out-handling, the Mustang has grown into a 4000 lb. heavy pig with a tall DOHC engine, a solid rear axle, and inadequate brakes while the Corvette has stayed low and more importantly 700-800 lbs lighter. Yes the Mustang can be made to perform better and handle better than stock, but so can any car, why start with something so handicapped to begin with? Mustang is fine for a certain type of car but it is not a sports car, never was, never will be. That's why it is so tall, chunky, and heavy, and most importantly why Ford still sticks a solid rear axle underneath it. It's made for drag racers more than for carving mountain roads.

I guess I'm hating on the Mustang and I really don't want to, I have a soft spot for these kinds of cars but they are what they are -- a blunt instrument that just is not a sports car and no matter how much you modify it to improve it, it just doesn't belong in discussions with a true sports car.

It seems that you haven't heard of these two companies: http://maximummotorsports.com/ and http://griggsracing.com/

you should also watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzpDOFOvdek

I autoX frequently and I've been able to run faster than many WRXs, miatas, and S2000s all on a 20 yr. old car. These cars can be made to handle, trust me.

Engine is just as modifiable as the LS1, 300rwhp can be easily had on rebuilt 302 with aftermarket heads.

Brakes can be upgraded to Cobra specs or Brembos if needed.

Weight: My '88 GT weighs 3300 lbs my '86 SVO weighs in at 3000lbs. which isn't all that heavy IMO.

I agree that the Mustang isn't a sports car but credit must be given when its due, this car is a budget racer and does that role very well.

Re Pics and Autographs. ...

Just use some common sense - if they are at dinner leave them alone, how would you like it? When they are obviously not very busy doing something a polite request will get a positive response (as has been proved on numerous occasions), or a "not now please", if you get the latter leave them alone. It is not Rocket Science, I think that there is the world of difference between the boys and the Paris Hiltons of this world, who court this sort of celeb publicity. ...

On a smooth track IRS isn't much of an advantage. I don't understand this comparison between the Mustang and Corvette, they are in totally different leagues. Cheap sports car vs entry level super car.

As for the topic, I can't wait until this episode. It will be interesting to see how Clarkson reviews the ZR-1. "The car is absolutely stunning ... just stunning. But the cup holder is made out of cheap plastic, so I must say in the end of the day you are better off getting a Ferrari Enzo."

On a smooth track IRS isn't much of an advantage. I don't understand this comparison between the Mustang and Corvette, they are in totally different leagues. Cheap sports car vs entry level super car.

I absolutely agree. Its like comparing apples(corvettes) to slightly retarded apples(mustangs).

Great pictures, thanks.

Cool to see Tanner Foust with Hammond. Was he there as an individual? I assume if it'd been TGUS related Carolla and Stromer would have been there as well.

Thank you for all of the pictures and information.

It is great to see such candid pictures whilst they are at 'work' and they seem in good spirits. The Corvette looks pretty interesting, as does the Challenger.

We are lucky that the TG3 are happy to chat and have photos taken with/of them ;D

Hey I live in Salt Lake and would love to go meet the Top Gear 3 tomorrow. Does anyone know if they will still be at the Salt Flats or somewhere else in the SLC area?

BTW thanks to everyone for those awesome pics. That got me so stoked for season 12!

Great pictures, thanks.

Cool to see Tanner Foust with Hammond. Was he there as an individual? I assume if it'd been TGUS related Carolla and Stromer would have been there as well.

Where was Tanner? I musta missed him. :eek:

Hey I live in Salt Lake and would love to go meet the Top Gear 3 tomorrow. Does anyone know if they will still be at the Salt Flats or somewhere else in the SLC area?

I believe they're on their way home by now.

Viper007Bond said:
I believe they're on their way home by now.

Thanks, Viper. gee you're a wealth of knowledge :) I wish them a safe journey...god knows theres been enough plane crashes lately.

Yeah, I just heard from one of my sources -- they're back in the UK.