Clarkson mentions coming to India for christmas special

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am waiting for this episode. I hope its a cheap car challenge from Delhi to Ladakh. Ambassador, Maruti 800 maybe. Its going to be fun

Last edited:
It's going to be epic. They should come to Mumbai.
If it's another cheap car challenge i just hope they manage to find some interesting cars. For the Boliva special they were given a budget of ?3500, And i think they succeeded in getting some interesting cars for that much money.
Assuming they would be given the same budget in India (Which would be about 260000INR) they would mostly come across boring everyday small/mid-size family cars on a average used car website. It's possible to get a interesting old(early 90's, 80's and older) imported car for cheap in India, But you just have to know were to look!

?3500 is a bit too much here. You will get a used mid size car which will be pretty reliable. Should reduce it to may be < Rs 120000. As you said I am sure it will be epic

Sent from my GT-I5700 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
James mentioned on the Christian O'Connell show today that they are off to India soon to film the Christmas special. Could be next week already! :)

Yes! Finally the TG crew goes to India. Clarkson in an Ambassador, May in a Tata Nano or some cheapo commuter vehicle...and Hammond in a Mahindra Jeep or some old school Indian 4x4...that will be an epic show

hammond should drive this:

Decorated-truck.jpg

It will appeal to his child-like impulses.

i hope one of them ends up with a diesel Austin or whatever British car it was that was very popular over there for a while

You mean the Hindustan Ambassador, Which was/is a basically a rebadged Morris Oxford. Some of them came with a BMC B series diesel engine which only had about 35bhp, They later switched to a 2000cc Izuzu diesel, Which was still underpowered(50bhp). The best Ambassador would be the 1800cc Izuzu petrol engined version, Which has 75bhp!

The other british car that was popular here was the Triumph/Standard Herald, But they are quite rare now.

One of them should drive Standard 2000! And doors going to fall off again ... :p

Last edited:
I wouldn't be so sure that they actually buy the cars from India... if they do I hope they get some old Rover Montego diesel and other boxy rubbish like that which helps enjoyment of the climate to the fullest :))

I do hope they buy Indian cars. Will be more fun to watch them rant about them.
Apart from the Ambassador, other popular car from 70s to 90s was the Fiat 1100D which are inexpensive, but under powered. I hope one of them gets it. Might be Hammond coz it resembles his Oliver. Another luxury car of those period was the Hindustan Motors Contessa based on Vauxhall Victor VX

If the car that inspired the CityRover is still around (Tata Indycar (?)), it should be the punishment car. :nod:

I'm kind of hoping for a 'guest appearance' from everyone's favourite plastic deathtrap, the Reva G-Wiz...

The kind that ends with fire, ideally :lol:

I hope they make a quick stop by Royal Enfield, since the company was originally British, and since they are still making very similar motorcycles to what were made 50 years ago.

Last edited:
I hope they make a quick stop by Royal Enfield, since the company was originally British, and since they are still making very similar motorcycles to what were made 50 years ago.

Maybe -- if a terrified, trouser-wetting, soprano-screaming Clarkson is worth recording on British television.

Now c'mon. You *know* Clarkson's attitude on motorcycles. The other two might go for it (a Royal Enfield Military Classic would suit May down to his historical leather rompers) but motorbikes aren't going to be a TGUK focus any time soon.

Maybe -- if a terrified, trouser-wetting, soprano-screaming Clarkson is worth recording on British television.

Now c'mon. You *know* Clarkson's attitude on motorcycles. The other two might go for it (a Royal Enfield Military Classic would suit May down to his historical leather rompers) but motorbikes aren't going to be a TGUK focus any time soon.

Maybe you could explain why you thought that I wanted them to ride the motorcycles instead of stop by the factory? Was that because you know the inner workings of my mind? I suspect that you don't, and that I should be insulted.

There are always parts of specials where two of them get a bit of time together away from the third person. James and Richard going to the Royal Enfield factory could be something they do together while Jeremy does something else.

There are always parts of specials where two of them get a bit of time together away from the third person.

There are?

Well, there was last year, but it was a bit of an accident!

Status
Not open for further replies.