nuclear submarine

rh99

longtime lurker, first time poster - just had to share this.

my husband teaches theater at a local college here in florida, and one of his students owns a yacht maintenance company. he's ex-military, and was hired to sail a yacht out to meet a TG producer about 100 miles offshore where they were filming in a brand new royal navy nuclear submarine. my husband let him discuss his experience in class. i asked my husband who the producer was, and he says he thinks the name was Renton? apparently this producer is the one who coordinates all of the military stuff they do.
they were bringing said producer back to land (gulf of mexico, btw), but i guess more people wanted to come back with him (didn't like the sub?) but they had only contractually agreed to get the one guy.

i don't know exactly what they were doing on the sub, just thought it was a neat little tidbit and insight into next season. he's going to try to get pictures. i'll post them if i can get them.

Cool! :)

I wonder if it's for Top Gear or just one of the DVDs instead though.

Perhaps they found the wreck of Top Gear Jag, and initiated a top secret mission where the boys construct an enormous ship with precision stability equipment and long grappling claw in an attempt to recover Black Stig.

How hard can it be?

:hamster: DON'T SAY THAT! ;)

It happened a bit late if it were for one of the DVDs; both Jeremy's and the TG DVD were filmed over the summer. I'm thinking it's for the show.

Must have been HMS Astute.

I wonder if it's for Top Gear or just one of the DVDs instead though.

Jeremy revealed his sub trip during the recent super-injunction fuss:

26 Oct 2011 - The Sun
But last night Clarkson ? who will spend the rest of the week working 300m under the ocean on a Royal Navy sub ? said: "Injunctions don't work, they are pointless...

27 Oct 2011 - The Telegraph
?It good now someone with an injunction is overturned now, I would have thought newspapers would be jumping up and down going ?yes?." He added that intended to lay low until the media interest had died down.
He said: ?Guess where I am tomorrow ? You wouldn?t guess in a million years! I?m going to be on a nuclear submarine and I?ll be on it for a very long time so you won?t find me.
?I?ll be on a nuclear sub - under the waves. It?s a good way of getting away from paps [paparazzi].?

If the other two were involved, surely similar boasts would have been made in their media spots, for example Richard's reviews:
...If the GTC looks cool, the VXR version is sub-zero... like the state-of-the-art nuclear submarine I just went on.

Starting at the front, there?s a large, lower air intake ? large enough to cool the nuclear powerplant on, say, a large nuclear submarine like the one I was just on ? and to the side are two triangular intakes that feed cooling air to the brakes, that look just like torpedo tube hatches that might be found on, say, a large nuclear submarine.

Inside the vehicle you get high-backed bucket seats with VXR logos on them and a leather steering wheel with contrasting coloured stitching, making you feel like a nuclear submarine captain ready to unleash hell with the press of an ominously blinking button... :p

and James:
I've always had a strangely pleasant recurring dream where I'm stuck in tight confines with sweaty manly blokes pressed against me, doing sweaty manly things with spanners and oil-guns. Last week, my dream came true. :p

Last edited:
Sorry to disappoint everyone but this is what Jeremy wrote in the Sunday Times last week:

Over the years, I?ve done pretty well all the 100 things you?re supposed to do before you die.
I?ve vomited in a fast jet, met Nelson Mandela.
Broken a bone, been arrested and driven a pick-up truck across the English Channel.
However, there is one piece of the jigsaw missing: I?ve never been on a nuclear-powered hunter-killer attack submarine.
Most people say that subs are their idea of hell.
Living in a narrow tube, hundreds of feet below the churning sea, pooing in plain view, sharing a bunk that?s a bit too small with another man and knowing that your wife is at home porking the postman and that you won?t have anything remotely interesting to do until your family and everyone you know has been turned into a whiff of irradiated dust.
Pah! If the balloon were to go up tomorrow, I?d break out my white polo neck and join the submarine service in a heartbeat. I know the Royal Navy once dismissed subs as ?underhand and ungentlemanly? but that?s precisely why I like them. You sneak up on an enemy, in big, atomic, softly-softly slippers, flick his ear and then run off and hide. He simply won?t know you are there until he has exploded.
And have you ever seen a bad submarine film? Crimson Tide. Morning Departure. Das Boot. It is impossible to make an underwater movie dreary. Unless you are the Beatles, of course.
As a result of all this, I was very excited when I was invited recently to spend some time aboard the brand-new HMS Astute. I knew that early in its life it had crashed into Scotland and then been hit by the tug that came to rescue it. Really it should have been called HMS Vulnerable. But I didn?t care. I wanted to spend time on a vessel that is as long as a football pitch but which can barrel along, in reverential silence, at more than 30 knots.
Sadly, the trip was cancelled because of what the navy called a ?technical problem?. This turned out, I think, to be a crew member who had run into the control room and opened fire with an SA80 assault rifle. Maybe a better name would have been HMS Unlucky.
No matter. I did not hesitate when another opportunity presented itself. This time, I would join Astute as it sailed past Key West in Florida to conduct a test-firing of its missiles. Can you honestly imagine anything you?d like to do more than that? Well, Anne Diamond probably could. And those people on Loose Women. But I couldn?t and so I packed my little bag and last weekend headed over to Miami.
Unfortunately, by the time I arrived, HMS Unreliable had had another ?technical problem?. It had flooded, apparently, and was limping north for repairs. So I spent the night in an airport hotel, watched The Hunt for Red October and, with a little tear in my eye, came home again.

It turns out that the reason he wants to be shut into a submarine is that he can go cold-turkey on the nicotine!