TG with Craig Lowndes

jack_christie

Forum Addict
Jezza and May take a spin with Craig.

Jezza a shows he a bit of a V8SC numpty by not knowing what a 'Larry Bar' is or why it's there.

Must have been last year.

Last edited:
And was not for the show.

Sorry about the necro (I've been away from the forums for a while), but what's the story about the name of the "Larry bar"? I know that NASCAR calls the same member of the roll cage the "Earnhardt bar," because it was added after Dale Earnhardt suffered a nasty crash at Talladega in the mid-90s that saw a car hit his car's roof while he was rolling and partially cave it in. (Likewise, the diagonal upper-left-rear to lower-right-front bar is the "Petty bar" because it was mandated after a bad crash that Lee Petty suffered in the 50s.)

Always love seeing a bit of V8SC; they're gaining popularity in the States with Marcos Ambrose having been drafted to introduce the Speed broadcasts of them, hoping to piggyback on his popularity in NASCAR country. It's worked well enough that they're now broadcasting Bathurst and the Gold Coast 200 live, and flying NASCAR commentators Mike Joy and Darrell Waltrip down to broadcast them. (DW got a ride in... I think it was Winterbottom's car at Bathurst last year, and was *TERRIFIED* the whole lap; he actually learned to set his DVR so he could make sure he caught all the V8SC races after that trip!)

Sorry about the necro (I've been away from the forums for a while), but what's the story about the name of the "Larry bar"? I know that NASCAR calls the same member of the roll cage the "Earnhardt bar," because it was added after Dale Earnhardt suffered a nasty crash at Talladega in the mid-90s that saw a car hit his car's roof while he was rolling and partially cave it in. (Likewise, the diagonal upper-left-rear to lower-right-front bar is the "Petty bar" because it was mandated after a bad crash that Lee Petty suffered in the 50s.)

Think it was fitted after a wheel smashed Larry's windscreen.

Next years cars won't have the 'Larry bar', replaced with a polycarbonate windscreen.