Clarkson and Hammond spotted in modified Fiat Multipla

I haven't seen the QI exchange but I can imagine what it was like. I had doubts about Richard doing PEL from the moment we heard about it - not from his ability to do it - but from the response he was likely to get. PEL had a flawed premise (ie the animals weren't live) which had nothing to do with Richard but for which he took a lot of the flak. I can only assume one of the reasons he was assigned the task was that the programme was a BBC Worldwide global production - and Worldwide needed globally known presenter - they used him for the Sports Relief Global programme as well at about the same time.

It's really irrelevant why they used them. He was a bad choice. Julia Bradbury, meanwhile, did a great job. And did you notice that she did all the voice-overs for the recap series?

And to be completely anal, Richard hadn't worn his beads as a necklace for a good year before PEL was filmed so I'm not sure Whitehead even saw PEL but why let reality get in the way of a good (?) joke at someone's expense?

First of all, it's "Whitehall", not "Whitehead". He's only one of your country's most popular young comedians, and a well-known figure on TV. Second, the joke shows just how bad Richard's image is right now. Stupid Richard's done damage to him, even more than years of Total Wipeout. If you weren't such a rabid fangirl, you'd realize this.

I watched Crash Course S2 ep 1 tonight (and pretty damn good it was too) and wondered again why we don't get to see that Richard on Top Gear very often these days.

Because either Richard won't let them, or someone is purposely doing it to him at TG and he's letting them do it, probably for the money. He has a family to feed, just like Moja's mom.

It's really irrelevant why they used them. He was a bad choice. Julia Bradbury, meanwhile, did a great job. And did you notice that she did all the voice-overs for the recap series?

I thought I'd said that I thought Richard was a bad choice? Julia got almost as much bad press as Richard did actually - again more to do with the content of the scripts which wasn't the fault of either of them. The fact that she did the recap series might have been down to her being available and Richard not - but we'll never know.

First of all, it's "Whitehall", not "Whitehead". He's only one of your country's most popular young comedians, and a well-known figure on TV. Second, the joke shows just how bad Richard's image is right now. Stupid Richard's done damage to him, even more than years of Total Wipeout. If you weren't such a rabid fangirl, you'd realize this.

Yes, I realised I'd made a mistake with his name - but too be honest he's just another young UK comic who spends all his time doing the rounds of panel shows on TV all trying to be as 'edgy' as Frankie Boyle - nothing special to deserve a respect that he doesn't give to others.

Oh believe me, I (and others) are conscious of the apparent damage that 'stupid Richard' (and the latter part of his Mid Life Crisis) has done to his image. So much so that we dreaded the outcome of the NASCAR piece because we'd heard that Wilman was there to direct it - and heaved a huge sigh of relief when it was reported back from Show day that it was OK. I didn't go into that because I didn't want you to label me as a rabid fangirl but there you go. I feel that Richard's desire to be 'all things to all men' may be his downfall and as a fan I find this thought sad, but it's his life and career and he will do with it what he wants.

Last edited:
For all we know, this segment could only take up a single slot in the show, unlike the Sweeney Film segment which took up two. I'm not terribly worried - I'm just a little ticked off that they did that to a Multipla, which I actually think is a neat car despite the distasteful styling.